Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New race car project Another Spec 996?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 10:14 AM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts
Default New race car project Another Spec 996?

I just bought a 1999 996 and am looking for input on what class to run it in. because of the roll cage rules I think trying to run it in multiple classes is out of the question. I would like to build to Spec 996 rules but there are no other cars in Chicago at this point. Can I get some input on other class options. I got a clean slate to work with.
Attached Images   
Old 02-14-2013, 11:42 AM
Horus2000
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

The SP996 cars run very well in NASA GTS3(?), so I would seriously consider reviewing PCA/NASA rules on the build of the cage.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:46 AM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats, and nice looking car.

I vote Stock H class in PCA but I am biased. There are other threads on SP996 vs. H class builds. The choice depends on how large the fields are at the tracks and clubs you want to race. If you pick the right suspension and leave your headers you could run both. NASA is hp/weight so shouldn't be an issue either way.

I didn't think the cage was a limiter if thought through at the beginning. Talk to a good fabricator and they can set you up. Plan on the thicker walls and an appropriate main hoop, and you should be good to go anywhere. PCA is the least restrictive as far as the design, so review he SCCA and NASA rules. My cage is FIA certified, so I didn't have to deal with this issue.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:12 PM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Thanks, The car is going to be a wreck when it gets here. It was a sandy victim, water over the dash. The only difference in the cage rules between SP 996 and stock classes are in SP 996 they allow connecting of the front strut towers to the cage and connecting to the A and B pillars to the cage in H they do not. This is were the compromises start to come in. I am leaning on building to Spec 996 rules but running in H till the fields build up. my concern is building a compromise car for H where the suspension rules are looser. The other option is GTB can the car be competitive, I would like to run with the Napilton Caymens.

Last edited by dgmark; 02-14-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:21 PM
Horus2000
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dgmark
It was a sandy victim, water over the dash.
Interesting...how did you source that?
Old 02-14-2013, 12:30 PM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Please correct me if I am wrong on the SP 996 cage rules
Old 02-14-2013, 12:34 PM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

I must learn to read, the rules I were citing were for SP Box
Old 02-14-2013, 12:35 PM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

The car was an Ebay purchase.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:36 PM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'm sure your a good enough driver to overcome the difference in the suspensions

I don't know about hanging with the GTB cars. Some of those Caymans were really fast in Sebring. Seems that that would be the expensive route for you with this car too. There are a couple of 996's running there, but not sure how they stack up.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:59 PM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Seeing as the cage rules are similar for both SP996 and H it looks like I will build it to Spec 996 weight up and run in H, It will be quite a change from my E car that I am still learning but I figure I have at least 1 more season to find the speed. I am still a novice at club racing with only 2 seasons.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:17 PM
DDun911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Seeing as the cage rules are similar for both SP996 and H it looks like I will build it to Spec 996 weight up and run in H, It will be quite a change from my E car that I am still learning but I figure I have at least 1 more season to find the speed. I am still a novice at club racing with only 2 seasons.
The tricky parts to that are the wing and weight, the spec suspension works pretty well. My H car runs the spec set up. The main problem I had was I can't get the car to the lower weight spec allows with out going to plastic on the rear and side windows which kicks you out of H. The wings you could easily enough have two.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:20 PM
Yellow996
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

As a current '99 996 PCA GTB1 racer, I will warn you that the Caymans are very tough to compete against. There are some very good drivers in those very good cars!

This is only my second season in racing and the difference in the amount of entries, particularly the second generation Caymans, in GTB1 over the last two years is staggering. If I were you, I would go H class and if SP 996 expands more beyond Zone 5, then I would go SP 996.

Good luck!
Old 02-14-2013, 03:55 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks, The car is going to be a wreck when it gets here. It was a sandy victim, water over the dash...
Wow, interesting to see how that all works out, post some pics when it comes in, I've been wondering how things fair in a submarine, did they attempt to start it?
Old 02-14-2013, 04:16 PM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

I have worked with flood cars before so I have no illusions regarding the task at hand. How much work is involved depends on weather it was fresh or salt water or a mix. There is no way it would make economic sense to return it as a street car but no major tasks for preparing it as a race car. I will not even attempt to start the engine, it will come out and get refreshed. Same with the gearbox. The wire-harness will have to come out and get a bath along with the DME, Instrument cluster and Anti-lock brake controller. If there is not allot of corrosion on the parts I have had good luck washing them and then drying in an oven. If a lot of corrosion has set in I will source the parts used. Most of the components would have to be removed anyway to prepare it as a race car. As i only have pictures to go on It is hard to tell the extent of the work. Expect the worst and hope for the best. Maybe I will just hook the battery up and listen for the sizzle with a fire extinguisher handy. It will be a great project for next winter. Anybody need any stinky interior parts or dodgy electronics guaranteed not DOA, how about a nice set of air bags for your safety
Attached Images      

Last edited by dgmark; 02-14-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:31 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Please correct me if I am wrong on the SP 996 cage rules
I must learn to read, the rules I were citing were for SP Box
I take it you reread the rules on the SP996 cage, just for anyone who has not read them in detail, you CAN NOT connect the cage to the front strut towers on a SP996 car.

BTW, folks love the taco wing that is on your car. You can sell that thing for about what you will pay for the SP996 wing.

Good luck with the build, and keep us posted!

Quick Reply: New race car project Another Spec 996?