Sponsored by:

Spec 944 racing in Texas

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 12:23 AM
Rene
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec 944 racing in Texas

NASA Texas will be starting a Spec 944 class for the remainder of the 2010 season starting at the next round at MSR Cresson March 13th & 14th.

I will be headed this program up any questions please direct them my way. Rene Molina rmj951@swbell.net

Here are the rules for the class
http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/944_spec_rules.pdf

The class will be eligible for all 944 spec contingences & some Texas contingences will also be announced soon.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:56 AM
chris_v
Instructor

Cool!
glad to see 944 spec making its way to TX. You guys should come on up to CO for a cross-region event, it would be a blast!
Old 02-02-2010, 02:20 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rene,
We need to talk since we didn't get a chance to at MSR. Also need to talk about Spec 944, I've decided to take my 944 to Spec 944 instead of making it a GTS car. This should help the class out and I can have fun there as well. It is actually pretty close to being ready for Spec 944 since it was my old PCA stock car racer. I had some carbon fiber body parts that I won't be putting on it anymore to keep it legal.
Call me when you get a chance or shoot me an email on when you might be in town next time.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:56 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Can we say crossover at Hallet or HPT with Midwest / Colorado / Texas regions?
Old 02-03-2010, 01:11 PM
paralleltangent
Instructor

I'm in. Been working my way up to getting my comp license for both NASA and PCA. As it's worked out, I was able to do more PCA events last year, thus I'm further along there than NASA. Figured I'd get the PCA ticket first, then I think that and a check ride should be good for NASA. I'm shooting for the March PCA race at TWS.

Perhaps I need to figure out how I can slot the Cresson event into my schedule. Rene, I'll shoot you an email with my contact info.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome!

A great class that is growing fast Nationally. I started it 3 years ago in the Midwest, and we were the largest class at some events last year.

The Midwest "sent" you two guys last year - BJ Meyer - who has his car down there, and Conan Dombrowski, who had to sell his car, but might get back in sometime. Conan's car is now The Bennington Motorsports rental car in the Midwest.

Would be great to run with you guys sometime - we'll have to look at the schedule. Make sure yoiu introduce yourself over at http://www.944Spec.org, and the NASA forums 944 Spec page: http://www.nasaforums.com/viewforum.php?f=40. Both are pretty active.

Here's a picture of BJ doing his Steve Mcqueen impression:

and a pic of him getting his Rookie initiation bath:

Here's a pic of me give Conan some "tips"

A pic from the last RM/MW crossover:

Last edited by Sterling Doc; 02-03-2010 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Add pics
Old 02-03-2010, 11:12 PM
Rene
Racer

Thanks for all the interest not sure on the Texas group traveling out if the region this first year. We hope to have a couple cars at Cresson & grow the class each event. I hope to have a good group by TWS in April.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:58 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Rene,
I started with this class back in 2002 when we only had 3 cars in the entire country. I have seen this thing grow from nothing more than a few guys trying to have fun with cheap 944's to the second largest class at NASA Nationals. I have to admit this thing has grown beyond my wildest hopes back in 2002. Having been at this for a long time and built my own car I know the rules quite well. Not just what they say, but also what they mean.

So feel free to contact me for anything you need.

Eric,
BTW... You got Conan's car and I got his trailer. So all that racing stuff stayed in the 944 family.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:36 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Other than Motorsports Ranch, what road courses are there in TX that car clubs use?
Old 02-07-2010, 03:29 AM
Rene
Racer

MSR Cresson, Eagles Canyon, MSR Houston, Texas World Speedway, Hallett Ok. These are NASA/SCCA tracks there are 2 in the Austin area that are DE only tracks Driveway Austin & Harris Hill Road & Grand Sport Speedway south Houston.

Further south near South Padre Island the local PCA has DE events on a old WWII airfield.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:18 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by Rene
MSR Cresson, Eagles Canyon, MSR Houston, Texas World Speedway, Hallett Ok. These are NASA/SCCA tracks there are 2 in the Austin area that are DE only tracks Driveway Austin & Harris Hill Road & Grand Sport Speedway south Houston.

Further south near South Padre Island the local PCA has DE events on a old WWII airfield.
So a few then? lol.. I've only been to 3 of those.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:41 PM
Spec944 #143
Advanced

Moving to DFW from SLC. So trading Miller for MSR, TMW and eagle. looking forward to seeing 944 spec grow in texas.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:11 PM
Rene
Racer

Well we got 944 spec going in Texas. Kevin Webb got his provisional license & was our 1st competitor in 944 Spec, needless to say he was on the podium for his races on Sunday.

Our next round is TWS April 24th & 25th i am sure Kevin wont mind having someone to share the podium with.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:16 AM
GaryM05
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rene
Well we got 944 spec going in Texas. Kevin Webb got his provisional license & was our 1st competitor in 944 Spec, needless to say he was on the podium for his races on Sunday.

Our next round is TWS April 24th & 25th i am sure Kevin wont mind having someone to share the podium with.
Sounds like things are off to a great start for your group! I'm hoping to come down some day to race at TWS with y'all, and possibly MSR-Houston, too (my parents live 10 minutes away from MSR-H, so at least I'd have the lodging taken care of!)

Good luck with the rest of your season, and please keep the us posted on how it goes!
Old 03-25-2010, 01:59 AM
paralleltangent
Instructor

Hey... not only did I podium, I managed to eke out a first place finish in my class!

I had a great time. I'm looking forward to us building this class in the Texas region.

I'll get video of the race up soon, until then here's some footage of the HPDE session I ran later that same day. I posted it first since some friends were featured. http://www.vimeo.com/10347661

Quick Reply: Spec 944 racing in Texas