Notices
Macan 2014-Current

any Macan folks owned/driven Forester XT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 01:50 PM
realityintrudes
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default any Macan folks owned/driven Forester XT?

Unusual request, and I apologize in advance if anyone takes offense…

As a former Porsche and BMW Club track instructor, I have always made the most out of whatever and whenever I drive. Back in the ‘olden days’ (~25-30 years ago), I even ran my old Toyota Tercel 4WD and Ford Explorer at Watkins Glen and the now defunct Nelson Ledges. My fun back then was a 1973 911 S cloned to RS specs. I guess it hooked me on boxer engines .

Well, I just drove my wife’s 2015 Outback 3.6R to its two year service. It has only 4,500 miles and I haven’t driven it but a few of them (and none in six months). The initial 25miles were over my usual spirited way to work that I did for many years in my prior Foresters, and it was actually fun over the mountain twisties due to the power. My current 2014 Equinox (by serendipity not choice) is boat.

No Subaru dealers around me have ever had a Forester Turbo available, as they don’t order them unless they are presold, in which case no test-drives.

At this point in time, I just can’t bring myself to pull the trigger on a Macan. Yes I know… I’m comparing apples and watermelons, especially when you consider my Macan build would be $100,015! Code PHW9EVG8.

The Macan would be my year round daily driver, which means 50 miles daily six day a week. Nearing retirement, I can’t ignore the depreciation and cost per mile, especially when I used to enjoy pushing my naturally aspirated Forester up and down the hills. More than the expense- because I know I can’t take it with me, would be my aggravation at having to travel the 2-plus hours to get to any Porsche dealership in the event of any issues or warranty service (which would irritate me to no end).

Could anyone who has owned or extensively driven a Forester Turbo please give me an idea as to their experiences with spirited driving? I’ve had several Foresters and love the utility, but always lusted for more power. Specific (albeit relative) comparisons to the Macan welcomed.

Thank you for any insights,
krh
Old 09-17-2016, 03:11 PM
porches
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the Macan would be better just because of the transmission. What engine would your Macan have? 3.0, 3.6 or 2.0? That also makes a difference
Old 09-19-2016, 05:15 PM
realityintrudes
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by porches
What engine would your Macan have? 3.0, 3.6 or 2.0?
I am specifically looking at the 3.6L Turbo w/Performance Pkg.
krh
Old 09-20-2016, 12:15 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

I haven't driven the Forrester, but I have driven the Macan on a nice long test drive.

I'd wager a lot of cash that the Forrester isn't in the same league as the Macan. Not even close. The Macan is as close to a sports car as you can get in a big AWD CUV type of car.

If you're after fun, spirited driving, after you drive the Macan, you'll laugh at yourself for thinking the Forrester was sporty!
Old 09-20-2016, 12:17 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 337 Posts

I think comparing any Macan to an XT is like comparing apples and watermelons.

That said, we own a Macan S and have put 30K miles on it. Have sourced and driven several Forester XT's for family members; 4 total. Not even in the same universe. Best comparison I can think of within the product lines:

Macan is much closer to a 911 than a Forester XT is to a WRX or STi.

The Macan handling defies physics and is truly amazing for a big car. The Forester is merely "sporty".

If cost is a factor, maybe spec down to a Macan S or a CPO Turbo. That way the depreciation will be much lower.

If I had to choose between even a Macan 2.0 and XT, I'd take the Macan hands down every time if driving dynamics and fun are important to you. I've tracked ours and it's a blast.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:05 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

I am Macanless. But considering and researching.
As a 997 and STi driver.
I have had 3 STi's.
The forester would be taller, have the 2.0 vs the 2.5L.
The deal killer for me with the XT, would be the transmission.
The 6spd manual would be fine, but a CVT for me? I couldn't handle driving a golf cart tranny.
But really your comparing a 6oK car to a 3oK car?
I really do love driving a Boxer engine car. There is that great sound.
All the Porsche cars have it, and all the Subaru's.
Porsche truck, not so much in the sound dept...
Attached Images  
Old 09-26-2016, 10:45 AM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

As an owner of a 2016 STI and someone who advised my MIL to buy a 2016 Forrester, I do not see how they can be compared to a Macan of any trim level.

Let me be clear: Subarus are designed to 80% of what they should be...

Road noise: lots of it
Rattles/squeaks: lots of them
GPS off by 100 feet: all the time
Bluetooth phone muting: what's that? you mean people don't want to talk to you on speakerphone when in a noisy car?
Steering wheel connected to front wheels: not so much... cheap rubber bushing that flexes
Inconsistent brake feel: yep.... gotta get that aftermarket mater cylinder bracket
Enjoy driving with windows down: not so much, since with the air con off, broiling hot air comes into the cabin
Engine problems: more than your fair share

The list goes on for me.... Subarus are cheap cars built to a price point. If you just want to get to point A and B safely, then they are great. The AWD helps too as the cars are great in the snow. If your car is an appliance, then get the Forrester. If you care about refinement and solid engineering where most things just work, then get the Porsche. Out of 100k miles of driving on various Porsches, I've only had 3 warranty repairs that were incredibly minor (e.g., loose/out of alignment rear deckled on Cayman S, a Sport Plus button on a 911 broke, and the ad-blue heater on the Cayenne Diesel failed).

The STI has been by far the biggest disappointment. All I see are corners cut absolutely everywhere on the car.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:00 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by alexaqui
As an owner of a 2016 STI and someone who advised my MIL to buy a 2016 Forrester, I do not see how they can be compared to a Macan of any trim level.

Let me be clear: Subarus are designed to 80% of what they should be...

Road noise: lots of it
Rattles/squeaks: lots of them
GPS off by 100 feet: all the time
Bluetooth phone muting: what's that? you mean people don't want to talk to you on speakerphone when in a noisy car?
Steering wheel connected to front wheels: not so much... cheap rubber bushing that flexes
Inconsistent brake feel: yep.... gotta get that aftermarket mater cylinder bracket
Enjoy driving with windows down: not so much, since with the air con off, broiling hot air comes into the cabin
Engine problems: more than your fair share

The list goes on for me.... Subarus are cheap cars built to a price point. If you just want to get to point A and B safely, then they are great. The AWD helps too as the cars are great in the snow. If your car is an appliance, then get the Forrester. If you care about refinement and solid engineering where most things just work, then get the Porsche. Out of 100k miles of driving on various Porsches, I've only had 3 warranty repairs that were incredibly minor (e.g., loose/out of alignment rear deckled on Cayman S, a Sport Plus button on a 911 broke, and the ad-blue heater on the Cayenne Diesel failed).

The STI has been by far the biggest disappointment. All I see are corners cut absolutely everywhere on the car.
Well, to be fair, the GPS in our Cayenne and my Boxster are off, consistently, by 300' or more.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:19 PM
higx
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by porches
I think the Macan would be better just because of the transmission. What engine would your Macan have? 3.0, 3.6 or 2.0? That also makes a difference
This 1000% ... Subaru has absolutely ruined their non WRX/STi cars by putting a CVT in them. The new foresters / outbacks, etc... are terrible to drive.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:40 AM
alexaqui
Racer

Originally Posted by skiahh
Well, to be fair, the GPS in our Cayenne and my Boxster are off, consistently, by 300' or more.
So odd! My 2013 CD GPS has been perfect.

I was at the dealer today... narrowing in on a GTS they have in stock. Already worked out the trade for my STI. Incidentally, they took another 16 STI in on trade on Friday. It was already sold by this afternoon!

I hope the GTS is worth the price of admission!
Old 09-27-2016, 05:31 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any dealer that won't allow test drive and won't stock cars to be purchased won't get my business.

When you buy a pair of pants, are you not allowed to try it on? Would you have to order it and wait weeks?

I test drive Lambo, ferrari and have never had a problem if you make an appointment. What is so special about a turbo Subaru? I couldn't give two cents as they are cheap and grotesque looking any ways. If I needed an awd beater living in mid west, I would maybe consider the vx, just maybe. There are tons of German awd out there that are better in every way.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:46 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Originally Posted by djantlive
Any dealer that won't allow test drive and won't stock cars to be purchased won't get my business.

When you buy a pair of pants, are you not allowed to try it on? Would you have to order it and wait weeks?

I test drive Lambo, ferrari and have never had a problem if you make an appointment. What is so special about a turbo Subaru? I couldn't give two cents as they are cheap and grotesque looking any ways. If I needed an awd beater living in mid west, I would maybe consider the vx, just maybe. There are tons of German awd out there that are better in every way.
Well I am cross shopping new and used M3s and I cannot get a test drive at a few of the BMW dealers in my area. Umm? I'm in my early 40s and not some punk kid going for a joy ride. My Porsche dealer lets me test drive ANY car for as long as I want, as long as it is not a customer car. Maybe that's why I've purchased 4 cars from them in the last few years and 0 from BMW...

Apparently this behavior is also the norm with some Subarus, especially the STI. Annoying.

Quick Reply: any Macan folks owned/driven Forester XT?