Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

If you could choose today: spyder or gt4

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 11:07 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

I Ask this question because some of us who got a bit shorted with gt4 allocations can "fall back" on spyder allocations. Initially I was upset.. Then the more I thought about it I realized that for my uses, the Spyder might be a better proposition. Maybe I'm just trying to be the glass half full guy.. But when I look at my realistic use (road/twisties/weekends), how bumpy bad the roads are in NorCal but how beautiful the weather and scenery are... I realize a softer suspended convertible with that big engine is actually a bit of a dream compromise. I know it's cool on this forum to be a hardcore track rat.. But I've said it from the beginning I'm happy being a bit of poseur... Yea I like occasional track days, but I also like trips with my girlfriend. For me, I now see it as a blessing in disguise. Anyone else in a similar situation starting to feel a little more positive about missing the gt4 train? (As long as you caught the connection with the Arachnid Locomotive)
Old 04-03-2015, 11:16 PM
nova996
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

For frequent street use, with very little track, I'd choose the Spyder over the GT4. But I'd also choose a 991S Cab over the Spyder. I'd want the 3.8 torque, but I'd also probably want the power roof in a car I was going to drive often.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:20 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Totally different cars. I think the Spyder is still a weekend toy but the top is easier to erect but not as seamless as a BGTS or CGTS. Between the two I would hang on for the 981.2 GT4 or pick-up a 981 Spyder in 2 years for substantially less.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:25 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

if i was considering hitting the track with the car obviously the GT4. But i already have a track ready car so i would go for the Spyder no question.

Some people who have no intentions of going to the track may prefer the GT4 because of the hardtop and engineered bits in the front end that are absent in the spyder.

Some folks may also dislike the spyder top...
Old 04-03-2015, 11:29 PM
wbgordon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GT4. I've already done the Spyder thing. A really great car, but between the sport exhaust and that bikini top, it was easily the noisiest rig I've driven day to day. I'm a hardtop guy and the GT4 gives you a slight edge in performance. If the wait weren't so long, I'd have probably ordered a GT4 rather than the performance-oriented Cayman S that I did.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:42 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I already have a 2014 GT3 and a 987 Spyder. So I am happy, but............

If I did not have a GT3 I would chose a GT4.
If I did not have a Spyder i would chose the 981 Spyder.

I still see both cars as occasion cars.

The GT4 has a lower harder ride as it's drawback.
The Spyder still does not have a fully automated top and is noisy whether the top is up or down.

When the weather is nice and for street use, the Spyder overall is the winner for driving fun for me. I am not able to spend enough time at the track for it to be a huge factor in my purchase decision.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:05 AM
Craig67
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

GT4 to go with my 987.2 Spyder. Perfection.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:40 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

For heavy track use: GT4
For weekend drives, coastal/canyon runs, and light track use: spyder

You won't be disappointed with the spyder.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:06 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

I'd go with a standard Boxster S instead of the Spyder and save a pile of cash. There is nothing that compelling about the new Spyder for me. For mainly street use the Boxster S is fine - there is plenty of performance, greater creature comfort, and you can use the trunk with the top up.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:46 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

GT4 regardless of use or what i have in garage.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:12 PM
number 9
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've though a lot about this myself. I've thouroughly enjoyed my CaymanR and during all of this time the only other car that would turn my head was the 987 Spyder. I was very fortunate to get a gt4 allocation but I was anxious to see the new Spyder in case that fell through. I track only occasionally so the hardtop is nice. I have a solid handle on the characteristics of my CR and I'm craving the power and handling improvements so I think this is a natural make-sense evolution for ME.

If I had no track plans I would want a Spyder but not as my daily. Having explored the new Spyder offering I would definitely NOT pay gt4 money for this, instead I would start looking for a nice used 987 since there will be a few for sale soon as some opt for the new one. For almost 1/2 the cost of the new one, the HP and suspension bump is not worth it for someone with any doubt about what to get. The 987 Spyder and CR are so well sorted, the handling so amazingly dialed in. Unless you're used to throwing 400HP+ around with great skill, the 40-50 HP 'deficit' will not be missed. After a year with a 987 you'd know exactly what to spend your $100K on. I can't say enough praise for the 987 CR/Spyder- not the most powerful but THE most satisfying car I've ever owned.

For anyone on the fence I say go 987CR or Spyder at half price to see if you even want to live with a convertible or not. More gt4s will surely be better available in time and the 981 Spyder has a long way to go to justify a similar price as the gt4 IMO. I know it's hard to not get wadded up in the hype of these new offerings but consider what you'll be doing with the car and get what YOU want. You don't need to track your car to be an enthusiast but bitching about the harsh ride of your new gt car will not get a lot of sympathy from the rest of us
Old 04-05-2015, 06:43 PM
Mike981S
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 92 Posts

If I did not already have a 981 Boxster S and did not get a GT4 allocation, I probably would try to get the new Spyder.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:57 PM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 114 Posts

GT4 as its the first of its kind and maybe the last.

Matt
Old 04-05-2015, 08:07 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Both are awesome and pretty good value, especially compared to Carrera S with similar engine.

Cayman slightly more powerful and slightly more expensive: par for the course. However, the Cayman is from the GT street car team and there appears to be no additional premium for that so it gets the nod. Better steering and suspension for example.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:17 PM
wbgordon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by number 9
Having explored the new Spyder offering I would definitely NOT pay gt4 money for this, instead I would start looking for a nice used 987 since there will be a few for sale soon as some opt for the new one.
Unless you're simply trying to say you don't care for how the 981 Spyder has evolved, I think I need to point out that all Porsche offerings have risen in price over the last five years. I paid 72k for my 987 Spyder and Cayman Rs were going for about the same, maybe slightly more, a half-year later. Paying up to 90k for a Spyder now is probably no more of a sin than paying a slightly higher sum for a GT4. Economies of scale.

Quick Reply: If you could choose today: spyder or gt4