Sponsored by: APR

If you could choose today: spyder or gt4

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 07:14 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by s2ktaxi
in 2 months, I'm going to have this tough decision to make... the fact that the Spyder will have LWBs compared to the 2-ways in the GT4 makes the decision even harder!
are you going to take delivery of both and then sell one?

not having driven either, my "just for sunday fun" perspective would seem to include:

What does GT4 offer which Spyder does not:
-repeat lapping fade-free braking
-more adjustable camber/track set up if you're really hardcore
-potentially stiffer structure which can hold up to track abuse for more years than a roadster?

What does Spyder offer which GT4 does not:
-more fun open top driving experience?
-better engine sound
-mildly more compliant suspension and ride height?
-LWB in your case (and in mine).

Living in NorCal and with minimal (1-2x/yr) track use.. the Spyder is like the holy grail to me... although i find myself thinking of those red LWB's more than anything else.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:49 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 99 Posts

Also consider how often you would actually put the top down. In SoCal, it can actually be too hot to drive with the top down for many months, though A/C helps. I don't take the top off my convertible as often as I'd like for that reason.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:25 PM
Spyder Man
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I chose Spyder because I love the open top roadster look of the car and the open air motoring experience.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:45 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 448 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by verstraete
At 72, having learned to drive on a 1947 Ford farm truck with a non-synchro crash box transmission and two-speed rear axle, and having owned almost exclusively MT cars for the past 55 years, I resent this, as I am sure do most enthusiasts in my age group.
Me too. I'm 70 and much prefer the manual. In HS drivers ed, we had to learn the manual and we had to take the NY state drivers test with the manual transmission. I learned to blip the throttle for downshifts in my 914 45 years ago. That is easy and fun to do. There is nothing about a manual transmission that scares guys my age. Except maybe that the gear ratios of these 981s are too far apart. The wide ratios Porsche prefers need to be revised for non-autobahn countries.
What makes the decision for me is the open vs closed car. The sun and wind are no longer my friends (or my wife's), so as much as I like the Spyder, it is not the car for me anymore. The GT4 makes so much more sense at my age.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:02 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Much harder to get a GT4 allocation so the choice is made for me but it's Spyder for me by a nose. GT3 suspension vs open top are the only differences that are important.

If I were tracking it then it would be different. GT4 has huge GT3 brakes where Spyder 'just' has Carrera S brakes. The latter will be adequate for road use on either car and will reduce un sprung and rotational mass. Plus Spyder is slightly lighter overall. My only fear is the Turbo steering on the Spyder will not give as much feel as the GT3 setup on the GT4.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:35 AM
martinmp42
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For whatever its worth, I talked to my SA on Friday. He told me that they are getting a LOT more GT4 allocations, but no Spyder. May be because of huge demand for GT4. However, the list for GT4 is still long and some still do not get any. As for Spyder, they have not gotten any more. May be Spyder is flying under the radars now and be even more desirable in the future.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:25 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
are you going to take delivery of both and then sell one?
I already have the GT4. I'll probably See the Spyder and test drive before I buy/tradein.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:27 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vantage
Also consider how often you would actually put the top down.
if' it's not raining, my convertible tops are down irrespective of temps here in the PNW. My 987 Spyder and S2000 have operated that way...
Old 11-03-2015, 12:37 AM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by martinmp42
For whatever its worth, I talked to my SA on Friday. He told me that they are getting a LOT more GT4 allocations, but no Spyder. May be because of huge demand for GT4. However, the list for GT4 is still long and some still do not get any. As for Spyder, they have not gotten any more. May be Spyder is flying under the radars now and be even more desirable in the future.
Interesting. Just had same conversation with my dealer. The quantity of spyders produced could be very minimal
Old 02-27-2017, 04:31 AM
DK7
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
X73, same spring rates, stiffer swaybars, wider rear wheels (but with the same size tires).

There's absolutely less rear grip than a 991. In fact the Spyder is the most over-powered (for its tire) mid range Porsche ever. To get anything slider or more extreme you need one of Porsche's halo models: GT3s, CTG, RWD Turbo, etc.

For those used to the imperious grip of a 911 this can be a downside. The Spyder won't get off the corners as well, requires more careful modulation of the throttle, and is therefore harder to drive with TC off as you approach the limit.

For those that get comfortable with adjusting the car with the right foot, however, it's a blast. Throttle steer is far more accessible than other modern Porsches- the rear end comes into play earlier and more often, even with TC on. I love a car where the grip to power ratio is biased towards power- it's more challenging, but also more involving (to me- everyone will be different). The Spyder is that car in Porsche's lineup currently- you'd better have experience when you turn TC off. The payoff is an experience you'd have needed to get a baby supercar to get, but in a chassis that's forgiving enough to have far less fear-factor.
Which Spyder you mean?
Old 02-28-2017, 06:31 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

same as a year and a half ago.

I took the convertible and no I wouldn't trade it for a GT4.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:52 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To 09 red, I hear you on the sun and wind, however as one with spine damage, entering a car with no top on it affords a more vertical approach. I went to drive a Lotus once and felt like human origami on the way in.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:40 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,084 Likes on 621 Posts

GT4. I'm fairly sure I'll regret selling mine in a year or two.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:40 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 346 Posts

I drove the Spyder to work today. I was grinning listening to all the sounds. It's almost like driving in a cartoon. These sounds are awesome but so not typical factory street car sounds.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:58 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

I miss my GT4 because of a) the way it drove b) it was an awesome car that I ordered new so no one else had farted around with it, and it had zero problems c) I can't say that for my Spyder, which has taken some negotiations and adjustments to get right.
But ultimately, I'm a convertible guy. And as much as I loved the way the GT4 drove, on pretty days, I missed having the top down. And that was the only time I drove it - it's certainly not a poor weather car.

Quick Reply: If you could choose today: spyder or gt4