Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about making the switch from BMW to Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 01:00 PM
RVExotics
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about making the switch from BMW to Porsche

Hi everyone. I'm both new here to Rennlist and to the idea of possibly owning a Porsche. To be sure, I've coveted Porsches for years but never really seriously considered owning one. I've been a BMW guy for a relatively long time and am currently driving an M Sport 328i Coupe (post LCI). Other cars in my family's stable include a 2014 M Sport 328i Sedan, 2013 X1 sdrive28i, 1984 Austin Mini Mayfair, and 1999 Ford F150.

I figure we have plenty of multi-seaters and plenty of BMWs, so why not go ahead and get a two seater Porsche to add to the stable? I'm considering a new or lightly used 2014 base Cayman. I don't have the need for the additional oomph of the S, nor honestly would the finances really easily allow for it. The car would more or less become my DD. I have a ~15 mile one way trip on relatively good condition country roads to work. Incidentally I'm a public school high school science teacher, and already get questions from my students about how on earth I can afford a BMW on a teacher's salary. I think most of my students think I'm pulling a 'Breaking Bad'.... hah. The reality is I'm just very fortunate in being able to pursue my passion for education and still live comfortably.

So as I've been reading through some posts here on Rennlist, I've seen a few previous and current BMW owners. How would those of you who've switched or currently still drive them along with your Porsches compare the two makes? BMWs maintenance program is nice but I haven't really found it that useful yet. Have you ran into any issues where the included maintenance would have made things much more comfortable?

I also read through the "Cayman as a DD" thread and didn't really see anyone discouraging it. I'm already rolling around on 19" wheels with M sport suspension, so I suspect a base Cayman with 18" wheels would actually be an improvement in ride quality.

I appreciate any input from you guys. I'm very new to the Porsche world and have a lot to learn before making the plunge. The new Caymans just look so amazing and all the reviews I've been reading seem to suggest they are one of the best driving cars for the price a person could reasonably afford.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:58 PM
CptSlow
Track Day

Hey RVExotics,

I'm by no means an expert on Porsche, as my wife and I purchased our first about a month ago. But, my last three cars were a 335i, M3, and 135is, and we still have a 128i, so thought maybe I could help a little. I'm the car nut, and the Cayman S is now my DD. We have two parking spots where we live, so are limited to two cars. I haven't even glanced back at the BMW's. I honestly don't miss them, and don't regret the CS one bit. Even my wife loves this car, and she's never loved a car before in her life. She even takes it to work sometimes.

I honestly don't think the maintenance program should be that big of a consideration. With the long service intervals these days, and non-warranty maintenance rarely happening (tires, brakes, wipers, oil and filter) on virtually any new car, preventive care is relatively cheap. And Porsches rank very high in reliability. As a bonus, the CS gets better MPG's than the BMW's did.

My $.02, it's a great DD if you don't care about back seats. I'm on 20's and I think it rides better than the RFT's on the 135is. If you value handling and fit and finish, I really don't think you'll regret getting the Cayman.

C
Old 01-04-2014, 04:05 PM
RVExotics
Intermediate

Thank you for the input C. I'm hoping for an opportunity to venture to a dealership and test drive as I've never actually driven a Cayman. I don't doubt I'd love the way the car feels, but it would be a big change from my current coupe.

Definitely a lot to think about and a lot more to research! Thanks again!
Old 01-04-2014, 10:44 PM
CptSlow
Track Day

Enjoy you're test driving. If you aren't prepared to buy, I would avoid the test drive. I was invited to a drive via some email lists. Never drove a Porsche before, never wanted one....hell, never even really liked them. Three weeks after the first test drive, one was in our garage. It's an infection.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:54 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

The test drive will answer most of your questions. A Cayman would be a great car for your needs as you described them. Also consider a Boxster ( "Cayman convertible").

And get the S even if you have to go to earlier years due to budget constraints. It's not just the size of the engine, but the suspension/handling, brakes, and the noise -- they all contribute to a more visceral experience which will make the Porsche that much different from the rest of your cars. Any 2009+ would do, as that is the year of the new DFI engine -- unless you are strictly hooked on the new 2013+ body.

Be warned: Your BMW's will feel like taxi cabs after your test drive.

Oh, and enjoy your hunt!
Old 01-05-2014, 12:13 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a VERY base 2014 Cayman, the only option being fold-in side windows. It drives great and gives me everything necessary to have a blast on our local curvy roads. Roll down the windows, turn off the AC and put it in Sport Mode. It will go like a screaming spaceship. And yes, I have had it on the track as well, which was amazing fun. Right now though it's in the garage all sparkly clean and waiting for better weather.

The only other option that I might pay for in retrospect would be to upgrade the base sound system, which is pretty lame. I've got Navigation on our Cayenne but the Cayman (IMO) doesn't need it.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:08 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 410 Likes on 295 Posts

Former Z3 and Z4 owner. Have owned 2 Caymans and a Boxster since. The Bimmers were nice cars but no comparison to the Cayman- IMO. Suggest look at the 987.2 (09-12) as well as the new 981. Should be able to find a 987.2 with CPO. Dealer maintenance is not cheap but if you have some basic skills and tools you can DIY oil/filter change and brakes pretty easily -at least on the 987. Can't speak to the 981. Personally I don't follow the recommended intervals, too long imo. I also track my Cayman R so change the oil more frequently. Good luck with your search!
Old 01-05-2014, 03:17 PM
RVExotics
Intermediate

Thank you very much for the replies! BMW taxi cabs eh? Well, I was in Berlin recently and saw tons of Merc taxis so it isn't too big of a stretch...

I hope to have an opportunity to test drive a Cayman or Boxster relatively soon. My biggest problem there is that my nearest Porsche dealership in any direction is 3+ hours away. Well worth the drive though I imagine!

Ok, so total P-car noob question for you guys, is there a portion of this site where I could quickly see the model designations and their timelines? Such as mentioned in the previous post, the difference between the 987.2 and the 981? I assume each P car has its own numerical designation and it would be nice to have a handy reference for them.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:25 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

http://caymanregister.org/faq.php?faq=models

Pretty much all the info you can ever want about the earlier models. The 981 Boxters began in 2013 model year. The Caymans in 2014.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:30 PM
RVExotics
Intermediate

Thanks!
Old 01-05-2014, 03:59 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Most relevant piece of info for you would be the introduction in 2009 of the new DFI engines in both base and S (Boxsters and Caymans) -- marking the model series 987.2. These have proven to be more reliable, practically bullet-proof.

The new models series 981 (new bodies) started in 2013 for Boxsters and 2014 for Caymans. Engines are pretty much the same as the 987.2 (2009+) ones.

I just noticed that the new Boxster S demands a $12k premium over the Base. Given that the Base could also be optioned with Sport Suspension and Sport Exhaust (also options on the S) the S upgrade (3.4L-310hp vs 2.7L-265hp) may not be worth making.

When I bought my new Boxster S in 06 the S-Base price difference was smaller and the equipment/performance difference larger, if I remember correctly. Sold it last fall after problem-free, blissful 7 years and 40k miles -- mostly top-down country road joy rides and some track. Best car I've ever had.

Oh, and do keep in mind that the 987/981 Porsche model series is probably the only one in the world in which the convertible (Boxster) costs less than the coupe (Cayman).

Good luck with your search. Enjoy your test drives and let us know what you end up getting.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:20 PM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A picture tells a thousand words. A car test drive does the same. Once you drive the Cayman and without question the S , all your questions will be answered.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:25 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As a former M3 E90 owner and M3 E46 owner, go for it.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:13 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a 2008 987.1 RS60 and it was a lot of fun, and a great car. If I were considering a 987(last generation car), I'd probably go with a 2009 or newer 987.2. Then you don't have to worry about potential IMS failure or RMS issues.

In the new cars the base went from a 2.9 down to a 2.7, but because its a DFI engine it makes more HP (I'm more familiar with the S version in terms of the engines). Anyway the rest of the car is completely different in terms of body, chassis, and interior. Some people complain there isn't quite as much steering feel, now that its electric, but after 10 minutes in the new car I fell in love with it. The new car has much a stiffer chassis, but the ride is much more composed over rough roads than the last car. Someone was saying recently, when you have a great chassis, you don't need to overcompensate for its flaws by having a very stiff or punishing suspension. Don't get me wrong, its still going to feel stiffer than the suspension on most MBs or BMWS. The important thing is to drive the car and see what you think of it.

As for maintenance plans...its great when they are included. However, we discovered years ago, that many of the bigger expense maintenance issues don't come up until year 5 or over 50,000 miles that way the car company doesn't make the payment for the big items. So the maintenance plan is nice, but its not saving most people any fortune.

Good luck and go test drive some Caymans!
Old 01-06-2014, 12:00 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

If you do not by a porsche this year, you will only be one year older when you do….

Quick Reply: Thinking about making the switch from BMW to Porsche