Hi from NE Texas

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 04:00 PM
JamieB
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi from NE Texas

Hi all,
I'd like to introduce myself, I am Jamie and I live just northeast of Dallas, TX. I have been reading posts here off and on trying to learn as much as I can about the Cayenne. Long story short, my wife bought a 2002 Land Rover Discovery II new and it is still her daily driver. We met 5 years ago and I learned how to work on the D2 after things started failing 3 years ago and 160,000 miles. I myself, replaced the radiator, coil packs, hoses, water pump, front prop shaft, rotors, pads, exhaust, plugs, wires, etc. The deepest I got into the engine was pulling the plenum off the top to do the coils and wires. This is the only reason I am considering a Porsche because I fall into the category of own one if you can work on it (not pay someone else to do it).

This fall I am considering one in the ball park of $27,000 or less. (I am not paying cash either). I am trying to learn all I can on this forum to look for years with plastic coolant lines, and other issues common in model years. That said, I still feel very ignorant on Porsche shopping.

For example, I see this local Craigslist article and I have no idea if this is a good deal, or not. If this was a Land Rover, I would know every spot to check in heart beat. If I might just ask, if you saw this ad, as an example, what would your thoughts be?

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/6012482510.html

Thank you! Sorry for the long post. I am a high school teacher working on a doctorate so that I might earn a little more to put back in a Porsche. :-)

jamie
Old 02-25-2017, 04:14 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

This commentary from someone in the market for the last 6 months and a reader of every post on the forum pretty much:

Looks in nice condition, and the recent maintenance is nice as well. Price is a bit high for a private sale in my opinion, and no PDCC which is a sought after option, and has the trouble prone Pano Roof [some love it but it can cost $10K if it goes wrong]. I think that truck is probably worth $24-25K; $27K is closer to a dealer number.

Many Cayennes have been sitting on the market, some for over a year, at high $20K-low $30Ks. They aren't appreciating any time soon but seems that people and dealers both are happy to hold onto them at length rather than dropping prices. Perhaps they think they'll be easier to sell in summer?

Word of warning, I would advise against owning this as your only car if you are on a limited budget as sh*t is going to go wrong, sometimes very expensive sh*t, but if you love cars, what can you do Definitely helps that you can do some wrenching. As people like to point out, just because you buy it for $25K doesn't take away from the fact it was $130K new and requires the maintenance of a $130K car.

Go drive it to see how you feel about it and go from there! Search and read the forums there is a ton of information here from a great group of knowledgeable folks that can keep you entertained for quite some time. Good luck!
Old 02-25-2017, 04:39 PM
JamieB
Cruisin'

Thank you! I will surely take this advice and also do my research. It won't be our only car, for sure. Another hesitation would be I want to feel comfortable on road trips as well, so under 100k is also a good thing.

About the comment, maintenance on a $130k vehicle. I didn't really ever understand that concept. I mean, I usually saw the $130k as inflated market value because people would pay it, not that it was anything much different than a $60k car which it would be worth in 3-5 years. Now Ferraris and Lambos I see as designed to be wrenched weekly as a specialty car. If that makes sense?

thanks!
Old 02-25-2017, 05:15 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

The fluids it uses are more expensive than normal cars. Look up the cost of CHF11 for the power steering or the Pentosin G12 for the coolant, it holds 9.5 quarts of oil in the engine... etc.

The parts are also way higher than a normal car. Fuel door switch - $70, new wiper arm - $150, new air struts for the cargo door = $200+, BS plastic vacuum tubes under the hood - $100+, headlight wire harness- $55... if you get one you will see soon enough that Porsche and other parts manufacturers disagree with you whether you are wrong or not.

Modern lambos use almost as many audi/VW parts as the Cayenne does, by the way, but have similar pricing. Sometimes you can order the audi/vw part for a fraction of the price, though.

Example: Diverter valves - Porsche wants $40-60 each, but if you order the same ones for an audi, you can get them for $18 each.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:22 PM
JamieB
Cruisin'

Now I see where you're coming from. Thanks!
Old 02-25-2017, 05:29 PM
JamieB
Cruisin'

One more thought, on my Disco, the engine is the weak spot. The only thing I ever worry about while driving is sudden engine failure. Everything else, I have no concerns about. The Discovery II just had a very particular Bosch engine with frequent check engine light issues.

That's what's carrying over to my Porsche interest. The fear that I drop $25k and go on the first highway trip and the engine catastrophically fails and the car is toast.

Can anyone put my mind at ease and give me an idea of your level of confidence in the engine and drive train for a 2008-ish model. Thank you again!
Old 02-25-2017, 05:41 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 548 Likes on 346 Posts

The turbo and V6 engines are very reliable. I never worry about long road trips. Get a clean one. Baseline all the fluids. Make sure coolant pipes and T's as applicable are changed, and be sure to address a couple of minor issues that you will find depending on the year. Then drive it as it is supposed to be.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:46 PM
dpatel710
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nodoors

Example: Diverter valves - Porsche wants $40-60 each, but if you order the same ones for an audi, you can get them for $18 each.
Can you please post some more info about this? It's one of the items on my to do list. Thanks!
Old 02-25-2017, 06:04 PM
JamieB
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mtnrat
The turbo and V6 engines are very reliable. I never worry about long road trips. Get a clean one. Baseline all the fluids. Make sure coolant pipes and T's as applicable are changed, and be sure to address a couple of minor issues that you will find depending on the year. Then drive it as it is supposed to be.
now that is encouraging! Cheers!
Old 02-25-2017, 07:46 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

My 2005 Cayenne S cost me $550/total last year:

a) Oil Service = $154
b) DIY Evap Purge Valve = $96
c) DIY Brake Pads + Sensors = $300
Old 02-25-2017, 07:50 PM
JamieB
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mtnrat
Originally Posted by Dilberto
My 2005 Cayenne S cost me $550/total last year:

a) Oil Service = $154
b) DIY Evap Purge Valve = $96
c) DIY Brake Pads + Sensors = $300
just curious, would you take it on a 1000 mile road trip?
Old 02-25-2017, 08:03 PM
JamieB
Cruisin'

So I'm not ready to buy but this ad looks more in line with what ya'll are talking about.
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/5966201845.html
Old 02-26-2017, 11:36 AM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

First off, welcome. What you are looking for is reasonably realistic. As long as you can do most of the work yourself, these cars can be practical to own.

The ad in the OP is a car I would not pick. The pano roof on the 955/957 is potentially a nightmare. Many folks have them and love them, but there are enough that find when it breaks, the whole thing needs to be replaced. Dealer only and well into 5 figures.
It's also a bit overpriced. The 957s should be coming down to the mid/low 20s for price. There are, however still a bunch of people that don't get that yet and are asking too much.

The only real "catastrophic" failure on these is cylinder scoring. Mainly in the 955 non-turbo, although there are some reports of 957s too. (vario-cam issues in the 958, but that's not what you're looking at).
957s have the water manifold, 955s have the pipes (and T for the turbo). 957 issues are somewhat iffy, but if you get a 955, fix the pipes. They will go.

Lots of other issues that are common as the car ages (just like every other car out there). Water pump, cardan shaft, air compressor, hatch struts, coil packs, LCAs, and on and on.
Invest a few hours going back through the forum, page by page. See what pops up and what doesn't.

Originally Posted by JamieB
just curious, would you take it on a 1000 mile road trip?
You betcha. I have an 05 CTT, 114 on the odo. I did the pipes and T (and starter) when I first got it.
I would not hesitate to take it on a roadtrip.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:41 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by dpatel710
Can you please post some more info about this? It's one of the items on my to do list. Thanks!
Same part - the updated 710N diverter valve.

Porsche price (48.53):
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...h/95511071001/

Audi price (16.99) and with a lifetime warranty from FCPeuro:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/cop...FdM7gQodORMIqg
Old 02-26-2017, 02:45 PM
dpatel710
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you!!!

Quick Reply: Hi from NE Texas