Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 08:59 AM
tsitz
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Looking at buying a Cayenne Turbo. 06TTs, or '08 TT

Hi;

Long time listener, first time caller.
Sold the 996tt; driving kids all around the east coast now requires a tow hitch and more room for hockey gear. Anyway.
My budget is limited to 2004-2008 or maybe '09. I LOVE the 2005 Turbo S.

I am wondering if there are enough benefits of a 2008 Turbo over the '05 S to make me move away from the 2005.

To potentially compllicate: The 2005 TTS I found is the color, trim, and options exactly as I would have ordered it new.....

What I want is the best performing, reliable car for my admittedly limited budget.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:23 AM
prosled8
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There really are not a ton of differences. I went for the 957 CTT over the 955s mostly based on the exterior look. The chassis and performance are very similar, the interior is almost identical. The functional interior upgrade comes with the '09s. They get Bluetooth capability in the factory head unit. The tech in my '08, and all earlier Cayenne's is stone age and worthless. I see it can be upgraded for under $500 now though, or a complete head unit swap for double that.

The front brakes on the TTS version are very expensive. The rotors are the really expensive part. They last a long time, just figure in a couple thousand to do the fronts if they need it. All 955s suffer from the under manifold coolant pipe issue. I suspect all 957s will suffer some equally as egregious coolant leaks from a couple places as well. BIG bonus if coolant pipes have been done.

I think the 955TT's are stellar bargains right now, as are the 957TT's. There WILL BE maintenance issues from time to time, even on the best kept examples. If I were to do it again I think I would have found a ~90k mile 955TT with most or all issues addressed for under $15k.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:30 AM
tsitz
Instructor

Thanks! Coolant pipe job is approximately how much $$, do you know?

I saw the TTS brakes were bigger, so I figured they were more expensive. Didn't realize it was that much.

Is the Cardan shaft bearing an issue too?

My iphone does all the navigating so the navi doesn't bother me too much, but it's nice to know it can be completely replaced for $1k....
Old 01-31-2017, 10:25 AM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do some searches and you will find tons of info. In my opinion if you like the 955s and found an 06 you would have ordered from new, that is gonna be a great deal. The 958s are more expensive for just lipstick on the outside, although I do prefer them. The longer I look the more I'm thinking of going down to a 955 with known history and saving $8-10K.

Coolant pipes and cardan shaft are issues but the cardan shaft is cheap to remedy, even a few bucks if you want to do the Jimi fix and you catch it early enough. If you search you'll have days and days of reading so read up and then post back if you have questions! Also, What is your budget? Mid teens to low 20s? Just curious. Good luck!

Last edited by ventoGT; 01-31-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:21 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Do you do your own wrenching? If so, you will be happy with a 955. If not, you better have a cheap indy and a wad of money you are ready to throw at the thing.

They are great vehicles and the 957 does not offer anything that can't be installed aftermarket other than PDCC. It has a slightly larger engine displacement, some minor cosmetic changes to the bumpers/headlights/grills/exhaust and bluetooth/aux in (on the later models.)

Please note that the TTS was not made until 2006. Anyone selling you a 2005 TTS has rebadged the car - it might have the E81 powerkit which makes it essentially a TTS, but it was not sold as such by Porsche. Based on the fact that you are budget conscious I would NOT opt for a TTS due to the very expensive brakes.

Spend about 4-6 hours going back through and reading what others before you have documented and make sure you are an informed buyer. This same question comes up so regularly most are tired of answering it again.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:24 AM
dpatel710
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tsitz
Thanks! Coolant pipe job is approximately how much $$, do you know?

I saw the TTS brakes were bigger, so I figured they were more expensive. Didn't realize it was that much.

Is the Cardan shaft bearing an issue too?

My iphone does all the navigating so the navi doesn't bother me too much, but it's nice to know it can be completely replaced for $1k....
Cardan shaft, coil packs, coolant pipes and T's, hatch struts, hvac servo motors, CET, stepper motor, brake booster lines, suspension compressor. I'm sure there is more I'm forgetting. Mostly small stuff.

Normal stuff too like fuel pumps, control arms.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:41 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Hi;

I LOVE the 2005 Turbo S.

I am wondering if there are enough benefits of a 2008 Turbo over the '05 S to make me move away from the 2005.

To potentially compllicate: The 2005 TTS I found is the color, trim, and options exactly as I would have ordered it new.....
Be cautious- there are a lot of fake TTS's out there and there was no Turbo S in either 2005 or 2008. 2006 and 2009 only and then not until 2012 on the new platform.

There is a guy near me with a fake "2008 CTTS." If you run the vin you through the decoder here, you can verify that a car truly is a CTTS.

I would go with the 2008 CTT. It is a slightly more modern car and if you can find one with PDCC, that is a huge plus.

Best of luck with the search!

Cheers,
Tom
Old 01-31-2017, 12:03 PM
tsitz
Instructor

Hi;
I CAN do some mechanical work, but given my schedule, I choose projects sparingly.
I re-did my 996tt's rear wing assembly with a totally new electric system, and do the usual oil changes, etc.
I don't want to be scared off, and I have owned 7 Porsches so I know a little bit and am not afraid of maintenance. I do NOT want, however, an ongoing "problem."

thanks. It is in fact a 2006. I mis-typed in the thread. Its the real deal.

I am assuming mileage is the usual story... the less the better. Im firm under 100K miles, but I see some out there with 150K (which is good to see....) so I am assuming this car is meant to be driven a lot, can can go 200K with proper maintenance very easily.

Also, the 2006's seem to be generally about 3-5K overpriced vs. Book value. Is this the negotiating range?
Old 01-31-2017, 12:42 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Book value is all relative and in my opinion not accurate on Turbos or especially Turbo S. These trucks just aren't changing hands for what is being asked--I think advertised prices are 25-40% high depending on how much crack the sellers are smoking. There is also essentially zero difference between a MY2005 and 2006, and very minimal differences between 2008 and 09/10 besides the PCM/Audio system.

If you are set on a Turbo S, they demand more money even though they are worth today basically the same as a regular Turbo given the extra cost of brakes and negligible other differences in the truck besides the basic Turbo.

Last edited by ventoGT; 01-31-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:15 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 548 Likes on 346 Posts

One thing to remember about the bigger turboS brakes is they last way longer btwn service. Had both a 05 CTT and a 06 CTTS. The brake wear on the CTTS is way slower.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:09 PM
RedRaider1
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SOLD:

Selling my 2005 Cayenne turbo. All common issues already addressed (coolant pipes, coil packs, starter, etc.) even just had a new serpentine belt and oil change in the last couple of weeks at Porsche Plano.

Car is loaded with options - Champions wheels, Pano, PASM, Bose / Navigation, 4 zone heat/AC, heated front seats, trailer package, on and on.

86,700 miles

Located in Dallas
Attached Images    

Last edited by RedRaider1; 02-04-2017 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:14 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

^WOW!!!!
Old 02-01-2017, 10:10 AM
tsitz
Instructor

Originally Posted by prosled8
There really are not a ton of differences. I went for the 957 CTT over the 955s mostly based on the exterior look. The chassis and performance are very similar, the interior is almost identical. The functional interior upgrade comes with the '09s. They get Bluetooth capability in the factory head unit. The tech in my '08, and all earlier Cayenne's is stone age and worthless. I see it can be upgraded for under $500 now though, or a complete head unit swap for double that.

The front brakes on the TTS version are very expensive. The rotors are the really expensive part. They last a long time, just figure in a couple thousand to do the fronts if they need it. All 955s suffer from the under manifold coolant pipe issue. I suspect all 957s will suffer some equally as egregious coolant leaks from a couple places as well. BIG bonus if coolant pipes have been done.

I think the 955TT's are stellar bargains right now, as are the 957TT's. There WILL BE maintenance issues from time to time, even on the best kept examples. If I were to do it again I think I would have found a ~90k mile 955TT with most or all issues addressed for under $15k.
Hi.
Cool so 90k miles is not a big deal...?
Old 02-01-2017, 01:10 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

I'd buy that truck. great deal
Old 02-01-2017, 09:50 PM
prosled8
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi.
Cool so 90k miles is not a big deal...?
I think the car pictured is a pretty fair buy, you have to love super clean dealer serviced cars. I would read up on the pano roof a little. Sweet option, unless it goes bad. Same with getting PDCC in a 957, I LOVE it but if it goes bad...

I suspect that car has tons of useful life left in it, miles and miles of smiles

Quick Reply: Looking at buying a Cayenne Turbo. 06TTs, or '08 TT