Sponsored by:

evans coolant

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 04:50 PM
nrddct
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default evans coolant

Didnt see any posts about this in the cayenne section. Wondering if anyone has converted to a waterless coolant like evans?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7PykrgzWPQ
Old 01-23-2017, 08:08 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Why? I know the claims for the Evans coolant sound wonderful - but you'd achieve the same results simply running undiluted propylene glycol and ethylene glycol or pure propylene-glycol in your system - it's the same stuff without the huge markup. Thing is - the "problems" it claims to address aren't a Cayenne issue, so why bother?

BTW - here is what the Evan's website doesn't tell you: http://www.norosion.com/evanstest.htm - interesting test and commentary.

The other thing - with the complexity of a Cayenne cooling system I can't imagine ever getting all the water out of the cooling system, which is a requirement of the Evan's product (the reason being - water will boil at a lower temperature - and even a little bit will bring the boiling point down enough that it WILL boil with the increased temperatures experienced with Evan's - or any other pure glycol system.)

There is very likely a reason that no auto manufacturer I know of fills their systems with a 100% glycol coolant from the factory. The test/discussion in the link will explain why.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:25 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Water conducts heat better than Glycol which is why we mix water and don't use 100% Glycol. An engine run with 100% Glycol will run hotter as they mentioned in the video. But of course the Glycol has a higher boiling point to compensate for the higher running temperature. Although with the engine running at a higher temperature and and all rubber hoses and seals will be subjected to a higher temperature which will shorten the life. Many race cars run 100% water for the reason that it conducts heat better and they don't need the anti-corrosion properties/additives that are added to Coolant. Some just use an additive dispersant such as Redline Waterwetter to relieve surface tension to increase conductivity even more.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:45 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Another reason race cars usually run 100% water - glycol is quite slippery, and some lost on a track can create a disaster. It's also flammable - especially at 100% concentrations. WaterWetter is a surfactant - something that promotes better contact between the water and surfaces it comes in contact with. It's basically a detergent (which does the same thing.)
Old 01-24-2017, 09:35 PM
nrddct
Advanced

thanks for the inputs!
Old 01-25-2017, 05:02 PM
whitecayenneS
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been using Evans waterless coolants for 15 years in motorcycles. Waterless coolant has many benefits however if you just replace your existing coolant with Evans waterless you engine will indeed run warmer. In my experience (motorcycle) I see about +10F. Straight water transfers heat faster than any other common coolant. Adding some glycol raises the boiling point and lowers the freezing point, and that's a good thing, but it also lowers the heat transfer rate.

In some applications plain water just doesn't provide enough capacity - it can't hold enough heat - and your engine suffers localized overheating (Google boundary cooling conditions), etc. That's where waterless comes in. Waterless doesn't freeze either - it actually shrinks a little as it turns into a Slurpee.

Waterless (pure propylene glycol, or a mix of ethylene and propylene) holds more heat than straight water. That's the one big advantage. If you enlarge your cooling system by using a larger radiator, and you move the coolant with a larger volume pump, you'll see lower engine temperatures and have improved protection from localized overheating. Great if you need it, not so great if you don't need it.

Waterless also has a higher viscosity than water, so again you really should have a cooling system designed for waterless. Evans sell different types of waterless and each has a different viscosity. Changing to waterless does indeed require you to get out all the water but they sell a flushing liquid, and you can use an air hose, and be patient. The stuff comes with test strips to make certain you got out all the water. Water is a contaminant to the waterless product. If there's a bit of water remaining it'll boil off in the first few minutes while you have the cap off.

If you just drain the 50/50 water mix in your car and properly fill with waterless, you'll likely see an increase in coolant temperature. Makes sense but not always a desired outcome.

In my case, and on my motorcycles, the waterless raised coolant temperture +10F which was a good thing because with 50/50 water I was seeing 175F which is too low for good efficiency.

The other benefits of waterless is no corrosion or deposits, almost zero operating pressure, and no need for regular coolant changes. I pulled the radiator off my motorcycle after 10 years and the inside looked like a brand new part right off the shelf. The rubber hoses see almost zero pressure so they last longer, and the same with the pump and sensors. You don't even need a radiator cap except to keep the stuff from splashing out!

I can ride for an hour, in the middle of summer, on the highway, and pull over and immediately remove the radiator cap and there's no pressure release, no steam, just a clear, very hot liquid at just about the same level as when it was cold.

Oh, and the 100% propylene glycol is non-toxic so you can drink it! In fact, it's the base ingredient in children's cough syrup. Not sure that's a benefit but if Fido finds a puddle of it he won't die. They've been selling the "non toxic" coolants for years and they're propylene glycol coolant. Cadillac and many others have been using it for a long time, and they call it their "Lifetime" coolant. But remember, the car was designed for it right from the start. The over the road truck Evans coolant is a 10 year product. In cars it's a Lifetime product so it's actually much less expensive than 50/50.

Personally, I wouldn't change my Cayenne to waterless, because it runs fine and with a properly designed cooling system I don't worry about overheating. If I were a racer, or if I drove in Death Valley, or if there were some other significant reason to change to waterless I wouldn't hesitate.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:14 AM
nrddct
Advanced

thanks for the indepth response! I might try it in my old bmw then.

Quick Reply: evans coolant