Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

You can retrofit the FACTORY hitch to a 958 right?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 08:10 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts
Default You can retrofit the FACTORY hitch to a 958 right?

Might be a silly question but it seems all the threads I dig up are for 957 and older. The links to the Suncoast hitch kit I see are also for previous-gen Cayennes.

Just want to confirm it's possible to ADD the FACTORY hitch setup (bar, wiring, module, etc.) after the fact on a 2014?

Found a vehicle I'm interested in, it's missing a few other items I want, the hitch being one of them and the most important. But if I can get confirmation it's possible to retrofit the hitch, it might give me leverage to work the dealer and see if I can get them to include and install it (just make the service department do it as part of the deal.)
Old 12-08-2016, 02:36 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

I've heard it can be done by the dealer but may cost $2-3K. A fair amount of labor. Did you look at after market?
Old 12-08-2016, 05:40 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

I looked at aftermarket but am not willing to consider it.

Based on what I've been able to learn w/research, the factory kit is the way to go. It's not just the hitch itself, but the extra control module that interfaces with the rest of the truck.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:49 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Here you go...
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/958HITCH.html

The dealer must program the control module.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:09 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

I had the dealer add the hitch and module. No biggee.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:14 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CAVU
I had the dealer add the hitch and module. No biggee.
Awesome. Did you do it as a part of the purchase deal or separately through the service department?

If through the service department, mind sharing how much it cost you, all-in?
Old 12-10-2016, 12:09 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

I purchased my 2011 in Oct 2014 from a dealer (not my servicing dealer). I then got three quotes and my servicing dealer was the least expensive. Selling dealer was going to be $350 more, even as part of the negotiation. Their loss.

Hitch kit (958-044-801-31) + 5.5 hours to install came out to $1,925 plus tax. It is more than the hitch assembly. I've attached the factory info. I have installed a 1/2 dozen hitches in my life-time. ZERO regrets having the dealer do it. It is the same as the factory install. You can by the kit from Sunset for $982 plus shipping ($100-150ish guess), but you will still have to take it to the dealer for at least a 1 hour labor charge. One option if you want to do it yourself, is do it up to a point. Install the hitch hardware, run the wiring and let them do the final computer module connection and programming. Might save you 2-3 hours of shop labor. Not worth it for me.

Ask them to be sure and program it for incandescent bulbs and then use an car-incandescent to trailer-LED convertor if your trailer is using LED. Why? 'cause there are no car-LED to trailer incandescent convertors and if you connect a incandescent trailer to your system set to look for LED bulbs it goes into self protect mode and it takes the dealer to reset it with their PIWIS. https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/TR20141.html

...and you will want one of these for incandescent trailers https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Pollak/PK12716.html

...and two anchor shackles because the hitch safety chain loops are so thick, U-Haul chain hooks will not hook into them. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-B...-Pin/999971038
Attached Images
The following users liked this post:
DemonBG (03-31-2022)
Old 12-10-2016, 04:48 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
But if I can get confirmation it's possible to retrofit the hitch, it might give me leverage to work the dealer and see if I can get them to include and install it (just make the service department do it as part of the deal.)
Most dealerships have their new car, used car and service centers separated into three different operations. So cars requiring service for sale as a used car will be billed to the car sales department internally, unless it is warranty covered. It would take the general manager to weigh in to have the service department eat some of the cost and car sales to drop the price further.

I have had better luck making the best deal I can by focusing on the price of the car out the door. Sales will sometimes thrown a few goodies, but I work the best price. Adding in a trade, or in your case a $2,000-ish trailer hitch only makes things harder and can drag things out. Drive a hard bargain but maybe have service write you a quote for the hitch that is good for 90 days and will be a separate transaction after the sale. They might take 10-20% off in the quote if you tell them that you are going to shop around. How many Porsche dealers within 250 miles of where you live? More than one I suspect.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:30 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Yeah that's ultimately what wound up happening.

Sales said "anything WE run through service, we have an agreement, we get billed at FULL retail. You're going to be better off working a deal on your own through service." So I went down to the service department and had a chat with the manager. She couldn't match the Suncoast price on the parts but said she'd work with me on the labor if I brought her the hitch kit. She also confirmed what sales told me about the "full retail" thing. Odd... but whatever.

So sales is doing a clear bra + a full set of Porsche "winter" mats instead. At my costs (if I were to buy it) it works out about the same as the hitch would've been, so I'm happy.

They're gonna hold the Cayenne for a week to finish up some service work (oil change, needs tires, also has a scrape on the front bumper they're going to take care of.) Gave me a new Panamera 4 loaner to drive in the meantime. Actually asked for a CD as a loaner, and while they found two sets of CD keys, they couldn't find either truck... so Panamera it is. Not going to complain. Happy with the deal.
The following users liked this post:
Bassman37 (04-08-2022)
Old 01-04-2017, 03:38 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,045 Likes on 663 Posts

... Ask them to be sure and program it for incandescent bulbs and then use an car-incandescent to trailer-LED convertor if your trailer is using LED. Why? 'cause there are no car-LED to trailer incandescent convertors and if you connect a incandescent trailer to your system set to look for LED bulbs it goes into self protect mode and it takes the dealer to reset it with their PIWIS.
https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/TR20141.html

...and you will want one of these for incandescent trailers https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Pollak/PK12716.html
JR, I was reading your note above, and wanted to ask you...

My 2012 Cayenne Turbo has the LED lighting option from the factory. Along with all the LED's used all over the vehicle {inside & out}, it also does have the LED Rear Tail Lights.

Do you know if this type of LED fitted Cayenne would already be capable of handling a LED Trailer?

For the past 2 years of towing, I've only ever used a regular bulb trailer. But I may be in the market to purchase a new trailer soon, and want to know if I will need any of these mod's to my Cayenne, IF I buy a LED Trailer.

TIA,
=Steve
Old 01-04-2017, 04:30 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Well... fwiw... my trailer has LED tail lights.

My buddy has the same exact trailer, he used to tow it with a 2014 Touareg. He had zero issues with it.

I'm gonna take a chance with mine without any kind of adapters first. And BTW, the one he linked to converts the plug to a 4-way. I still need the 7-way... found this: https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/20142.html
Old 01-04-2017, 07:08 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Ask them to be sure and program it for incandescent bulbs and then use an car-incandescent to trailer-LED convertor if your trailer is using LED. Why? 'cause there are no car-LED to trailer incandescent convertors and if you connect a incandescent trailer to your system set to look for LED bulbs it goes into self protect mode and it takes the dealer to reset it with their PIWIS.
Curse you, Porsche. They are literally finding ways to trick us by programming things into the car that will require owners to needlessly always be dependent on the dealer network. This feels like a bit of a slap in the face to me as someone who prefers to maintain their own vehicles out of pure love for mechanical things and pride. It kind of sours my love for the brand as a self-respecting gearhead.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:09 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nodoors
Curse you, Porsche. They are literally finding ways to trick us by programming things into the car that will require owners to needlessly always be dependent on the dealer network. This feels like a bit of a slap in the face to me as someone who prefers to maintain their own vehicles out of pure love for mechanical things and pride. It kind of sours my love for the brand as a self-respecting gearhead.
I recall losing count at around 25-30 Modules (computers) in my Cayenne. Durametric is my best new friend. At least I have a chance of not going to the dealer, and if I have to, I am better armed, as I was when they had to reset the trailer light "module".
Old 01-04-2017, 11:06 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

The fact that you couldn't reset it even with Durametric is crazy, right?

I have bought more computers for my various vehicles than I can count. My first truly frustrating experience with this kind of stuff was when I unplugged a volvo seat and had to pay the dealer $200 to turn off the airbag light which could not be reset by my volvo version of durametric. As a technology professional who understands how things work and are programmed, it feels like total extortion to set cars up like this to screw over consumers. The european manufacturers started the trend and it has taken off across the board. Did you know that in a modern chevy pickup, if you replace the fuel pump it won't run until a dealer activates and syncs it with the computer?!?!

I am happy to buy a durametric, vagcom, etc. but NOT pay thousands or tens of thousands each for PIWIS, VADIS, etc. just to reset idiot lights that should just turn off when a wiring fault is corrected...
Old 01-05-2017, 01:31 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,045 Likes on 663 Posts

sooooooo what you're saying is it'll work fine.
Thx

Quick Reply: You can retrofit the FACTORY hitch to a 958 right?