Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

4-Zone HVAC - rear evaporator drain?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 01:40 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts
Default 4-Zone HVAC - rear evaporator drain?

Anyone know where the rear HVAC system evaporator drain is located?

I had my '11 CTT idling in my driveway yesterday (hot and humid in NJ USA) and the front system dumped a nice puddle of water on the passenger side under the vehicle, but I saw nothing at all from the rear section of the vehicle.

There has to be a drain there somewhere.. just wondering where and I suspect it's plugged up.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:14 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Got bored so I went looking. Checked the service manual - and it shows one drain coming from the rear bottom corner of the rear HVAC unit.

Looking closer I found:

#2 is the drain

So I went out to the P!G to poke around. Turns out you can sorta see the area shown in the last drawing if you open the spare tire well cover, then remove the jack and foam-mount that holds the jack in place. Then if you put your head down by the tire, and you have a nice bright flashlight you can peer in behind the other piece of silencing foam and see the hose. And if your hand isn't too big - you can reach in an touch it. I did that. Squeezed it too to see if it felt like it was plugged up. It didn't.

Next was looking underneath.

Turns out the drain is located above where the exhaust turns out of the muffler headed to the rear of the CTT.. If I had to guess perhaps part of the reason no puddle is seen is the water hits the hot exhaust pipe and boils off to steam.

Closeup of the drain:

From a bit further away:

And - what's this other drain?

If I had to guess - that's likely the sunroof drain. Good to know where it comes out..

The only mystery now - is I took the entire rear floor out. It pulls out to the rear, comes unhooked from the front part to the body. Easy to do, and easy to put back. Big chunka foam rubber there.. when I lifted it up to see under it (I'm THAT sort of guy..) I found an electronics module sitting in a plastic bracket attached to the trunk floor. A few wires go to it. No other connections to it that I could see. IF the P!G came with something like a satellite tracking system I'd suspect that's the module for it.. but mine didn't list that on the option list - so? Mebbe the "black box" for the vehicle? Recording everything for the last XX hours of use?

Mysteries.. one solved opens another one.

Quick Reply: 4-Zone HVAC - rear evaporator drain?