Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9" Android Radio Install Review

Old 04-12-2016, 11:12 AM
morrisdl
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 9" Android Radio Install Review

I installed one of these in a 2008 CTT w/Bose and it went well. It came with the MOST interface for $730. Is also came with 3 other different ~10 foot wiring looms for other radio options i presume. Basic install to get quality sound, steering wheel controls and dash info was plug-n-play. I needed a ground-loop isolator to completely remove a minor alternator noise. Getting the Porsche backup camera took a little work, but looks great on the larger screen.

Overall Review
: Love the install; came preloaded with Porsche boot logo and all the steering wheel controls mapped. UI is fast! Having Waze and Google maps and streaming audio apps is great! You have full control layout the 3 homescreens, but I cant figure out how to change the buttons in the launcher bar at the bottom. Bluetooth phone works great. Bluetooth music streaming has some glitches, but that might be my phone. The device is limited to 2G of memory and this limits how many apps can be installed. There is external memory, but few apps support moving to external storage. The UI Boot up time is about 15sec, but the FM (if that was the last source) and backup camera (when reverse is selected) start working almost immediately after the car is started.

FM reception review: The Seicane only has one Fakra FM antenna input. Using one of the two FM antennas gave mediocre reception. I had to get a couple connectors to merge/amplify the Porsche diversity FM antenna and then convert back to Fakra connector. The FM source is slightly louder than the other media sources and requires a couple click of volume adjustment when switching back and forth. Once I get 4G data working, Ill probably never use FM again.

Mobile Data: The 3G usb dongle they sell is for T-mobile only and reception was poor. the radio does not work with the one 4G tmobile dongle I tried. Im using my phone hotspot and android screen cast, but Ill probably endup getting a mifi for the car.

Basically a tablet with a single din stereo grafted on. There is definitely some custom android OS work in here and I dont expect and upgrades or after market roms. All-in-all a HUGE upgrade from OEM and im super happy with it and the price.

Specifications & Features

Hardware:
Processor Type: Quadcore R16
CPU: Quad-Core Cortex A9 1.6 Frequency
GPU: DUAL Mali400MP2 400MHz - Complies with OpenGL ES 2.0/1.1
RAM: 1G DDR3 RAM
iNAND: 16GB
External Memory: Up to 32GB MicroSD Note: You can use external storage higher than 32GB as long as it is formatted as FAT32. @Hisma
MCU: 5.3.13-1-10-610101-150619
Screen: Capacitive 800x480 - 1024x600.
GPS: GLONASS/Galilean satellites - supports H.265 video decode
Radio: Analogue with RDS 6686
DVD: Yes
Bluetooth: Yes
This units Android system is 4.4.2, however the software versions for this unit vary. Versions 4.4.4-4.5.5 have been found so far.

Known Issues/Fixes

USB Debugging is password protected.
Resolved: The password is "john@tw-desktop". Credit to @nikko82

What is the Factory Reset / Developer Options password?
Resolved: 7890

What is the Extra Settings password?
Resolved: 123456
Note: Do NOT change the resolution of the head unit. You will destroy your unit. However it is reversible.

Where can I buy one?
Resolved: Go to Ebay/Alibaba and there are hundreds of them.

Does it have the full Play Store?
Resolved: Yes

Can I use Bluetooth OBD devices with Torque?
Resolved: Yes they are compatible on most of these devices. Parts sold separately. Generic OBD's are confirmed to work. As well as Torque.

Can I root this unit?
Resolved: Kingroot is confirmed to work on this model. Thanks to @vdsem
More information will be posted on this as soon as it is revealed.

Can you Backup?
Resolved: YES! To Backup: Thanks to @iceglue
1. Start TERMINAL EMULATOR2. Execute Superuser: su
3. Go to partition directory: cd /dev/block/by-name
4. Copy to SD Card:
dd if=boot of=/extsd0/boot.img bs=4096
dd if=bootloader of=/extsd0/bootloader.img bs=4096
dd if=env of=/extsd0/env.img bs=4096
dd if=data of=/extsd0/data.img bs=4096
dd if=misc of=/extsd0/misc.img bs=4096
dd if=recovery of=/extsd0/recovery.img bs=4096
dd if=system of=/extsd0/system.img bs=4096
dd if=private of=/extsd0/private.img bs=4096

Last edited by morrisdl; 06-28-2016 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Added Specs and FAQ
Old 04-12-2016, 10:56 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

That looks nice. Can you post the name of the receiver? I like the idea of an Android head unit so you can run YaV1 with the Valentine radar detector.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:49 AM
morrisdl
Instructor

Seicane 9" Android. They have a few models if you prefer to trade some screen size for physical buttons and *****. I have no affiliation or compensation from them - just wanted to share my experience since I couldn't find much existing info on them before purchasing.

http://www.seicane.com/android-car-d...-car-dvd-gps-6

I have a V1, but havnt hooked it up yet - they are illegal and not invisible to VA State troopers. I didnt know about that app, but according the the google play store it is NOT compatible with this unit.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:40 PM
dave911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seriously? That is AWESOME! I already have a Pioneer with backup camera and phone Bluetooth, but I have to plug in my Android to stream music. Annoying. Please keep me posted on how this works, and I may convert. Thanks for sharing! Dave911
Old 04-18-2016, 01:54 PM
morrisdl
Instructor

the REALLY AWESOME part is i just sold the old PCM 2.1 unit for $100 more than I paid for the 9" Android touch screen. I still have a Cartronics Bluetooth Monbridge that I found behind the dash for sale. Once I get some MOST connectors; Ill strip out the Nav DVD, 6 disc changer, and the XM tuner for some more upgrade funds! AND some nice storage spots as extra benefit.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:34 PM
Torre
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe a stupid question, but do you still get the vehicle data with this device like consumption, average speed etc?

I'm really stunned by the fact that the OEM camera actually has a view like that, but is restricted by the PCM 2.1 screen..now how stupid is that.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:51 PM
morrisdl
Instructor

Yes - It comes with the Torque App. You can buy their wifi or bluetooth ODBII port connector for $12 and get all that and a LOT more like graphing and error codes:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...l.torque&hl=en
Old 04-19-2016, 03:21 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by morrisdl
Seicane 9" Android. They have a few models if you prefer to trade some screen size for physical buttons and *****. I have no affiliation or compensation from them - just wanted to share my experience since I couldn't find much existing info on them before purchasing.

http://www.seicane.com/android-car-d...-car-dvd-gps-6

I have a V1, but havnt hooked it up yet - they are illegal and not invisible to VA State troopers. I didnt know about that app, but according the the google play store it is NOT compatible with this unit.
Thanks for the info - - looks like a great solution. I assume you can sideload apps like other Android systems - - that should facilitate installation of the YaV1 app.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:45 AM
kjbu
Advanced

Too bad it doesn't have DAB+ as option
Old 04-22-2016, 07:14 PM
eidolon
Instructor

Looks like I am going to be ordering one of these... I LIKE IT!
Old 04-27-2016, 01:50 PM
Sid3ways
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't seem to find it, does this unit support Sirius/XM radio? I only listen to that and have 0 use for the regular FM reception.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:40 PM
morrisdl
Instructor

yes & no. This like any tablet, can use the Sirus/XM app to stream your entitled stations based on your account. The downside is that live stations will only work where you have cellular data network coverage (and be mindful of any datacaps your provider has). The upside is the audio quality is 10X better. I believe the app can cache stations and talk radio for offline listening too.

I can not stand the satellite feed low audio quality. I switched to using phone apps like slacker radio long ago. Luckily I still have an unlimited verizon data plan.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:25 PM
Sid3ways
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the update morris. I currently have a tranzit blu bluetooth unit that came with the car (and factory radio). I occasionally get static when using it and the SirisXM app on my iPhone 6S+. I don't know if it's a problem with the radio itself because the radio reception for stations that have great signal in every car sometimes gets weak in mine (08 CTT). Even at times I love fidelity in that the basss drops out and the treble gets very tinny.

I guess it could be a wiring issue or the unit itself has some problems? I'm considering just getting this deck so I can scrap the whole FM system as a whole and run straight bluetooth from the deck. How difficult is this to install for someone who hasn't installed anything? I also don't have a backup camera but would love to add it so I'm assuming that will require someone to help me out there.

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2016, 04:34 PM
morrisdl
Instructor

I have been installing stereo in my own vehicles and boats since the 1990s: This one was one of the easiest ever. My Cayenne has the Bose speakers, I cant speak to retrofitting on any other PCM versions. No soldering, special tools, spacer kit, or wiring kits needed - BUT you might want to find someone with some experience to assist you if this sort of thing is not in your wheelhouse. If you DO take it to a stereo shop, anyplace like bestbuy should be able handle it easily and cheaply.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:45 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

This has got my attention ... price, integration with my 08 CS, and performance is looking perfect.

Originally Posted by morrisdl

I installed one of these in a 2008 CTT w/Bose and it went well. It came with the MOST interface for $730. Is also came with 3 other different ~10 foot wiring looms for other radio options i presume. Basic install to get quality sound, steering wheel controls and dash info was plug-n-play. I needed a ground-loop isolator to completely remove a minor alternator noise. Getting the Porsche backup camera took a little work, but looks great on the larger screen.

Overall Review
: Love the install; came preloaded with Porsche boot logo and all the steering wheel controls mapped. UI is fast! Having Waze and Google maps and streaming audio apps is great! You have full control layout the 3 homescreens, but I cant figure out how to change the buttons in the launcher bar at the bottom. Bluetooth phone works great. Bluetooth music streaming has some glitches, but that might be my phone. The device is limited to 2G of memory and this limits how many apps can be installed. There is external memory, but few apps support moving to external storage. The UI Boot up time is about 15sec, but the FM (if that was the last source) and backup camera (when reverse is selected) start working almost immediately after the car is started.

FM reception review: The Seicane only has one Fakra FM antenna input. Using one of the two FM antennas gave mediocre reception. I had to get a couple connectors to merge/amplify the Porsche diversity FM antenna and then convert back to Fakra connector. The FM source is slightly louder than the other media sources and requires a couple click of volume adjustment when switching back and forth. Once I get 4G data working, Ill probably never use FM again.

Mobile Data: The 3G usb dongle they sell is for T-mobile only and reception was poor. the radio does not work with the one 4G tmobile dongle I tried. Im using my phone hotspot and android screen cast, but Ill probably endup getting a mifi for the car.

Basically a tablet with a single din stereo grafted on. There is definitely some custom android OS work in here and I dont expect and upgrades or after market roms. All-in-all a HUGE upgrade from OEM and im super happy with it and the price.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 9" Android Radio Install Review