Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will any Thule roof cargo box fit the Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 10:08 AM
profusion
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will any Thule roof cargo box fit the Cayenne?

I have the roof transport system and would like to buy a Thule cargo box but I can't seem to find one that fits the wide crossbar. Anyone here used one in their Cayenne? Thanks!
Old 03-24-2010, 11:59 AM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

When I bought my 06 S -- I spent a lot of time looking into this. My car has the black trim option - the normal cross bars come from the factory in silver. I like the SUV without the standard crossbars (they are basically for looks anyway) and I did not want to just order the standard silver transport system. I was surprised to see that they even had two systems !

I am glad I did spend some time on this because IMO the Porsche system for the C is form over function -- it may be fine for certain applications -- but if you want the versatility of the Thule or Yakima systems it does not cut it. The parts are expensive and many setups have nothing more than large rubber bushings to fit the transport cross bars to the accessories. Porsche should copy the original SAAB roof rail set up -- its the best.

I happened to already have both a Thule and Yakima setup. While I prefer the Yakima clip design I went with the smaller rail clips available from Thule that fit the Porsche. The clips attach to the inset roof rail -- not the cross bar. My car is black so I just leave the clips on the SUV all the time - and use the regular Thule bars that just snap in place when I want to use any of the racks or Thule box.

It takes all of 30 seconds to attach the rails.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:19 PM
profusion
Advanced

Not sure if I'm getting this right. So you went with a Thule rack system and not a Porsche Roof system? Wish I spent more time on this before trading my side rails for the roof transport system. Suncoast has a cargo box listed for the Cayenne but it's listed at over $600. I see a lot of mint used Thule and Yakima cargo boxes on Craigslist but most wont fit the Cayenne crossbar. I wonder what Cargo box Suncoast is selling for the Cayennes?
Old 03-24-2010, 01:36 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Sorry - for the confusion.

I do not have any of the Porsche equipment for the C -- I used the Thule setup I had with the proper connection from Thule for the Porsche.

When I was looking Porsche had an attachment that went on the rails so that a box could be mounted -- it did not connect directly to the rail. They may have changed this -- but it was dumb.

I went with the Thule box because they had just redesigned them and I liked them better than then the current Yakima
Old 03-24-2010, 02:34 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pics?

Just sold off my Jeep and am searching for a CTT. Have the Yakima rack that was on my Jeep. It is the control tower setup that was mounted to the Yakima track system.

Looks like I should be able to mount that straight to the CTT if it comes with the bare roof?
Old 03-24-2010, 06:52 PM
pcst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thule didn't fit on mine, got the Yakima which fit 99% w/ some adjustments.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:38 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Too bad that you're in NJ. I'd offer you my new but garage dusty, never used, Porsche Cayenne roof box type 1 with all the mounting gear for one-quarter of whatever I paid for it... whatever that was. Yep, 75% off.

Anyone on the west coast want it? I'm in Tahoe, NV.

PM me.

Last edited by JohnnyBahamas; 03-28-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:53 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pack the girl in your avatar into the roof box and ship to Colorado please!
Old 03-25-2010, 11:55 AM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by profusion
I have the roof transport system and would like to buy a Thule cargo box but I can't seem to find one that fits the wide crossbar. Anyone here used one in their Cayenne? Thanks!
I have one. You will have to do a "field modification" - new holes for the wider crossbars and possibly longer bolts. I am only not sure of the longer bolt part because mine were already long enough because I had a Pathfinder with the "thick" crossbars and I can't remember if I had already replaced the bolts because of that
Old 04-02-2010, 04:04 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by profusion
I'm curious what you ended up getting? I purchased the Thule roof rail system (as I don't have the factory transport setting) but I haven't yet picked a cargo box. The problem is that the boxes I see (with decent cargo space are all quite long. The top of the Cayenne is barely 74 inches long (from a point on the back that would still allow the lift gate to open unencumbered to the windshield). Most of the boxes I want are 85 to 91 inches long. That's a pretty serious overhang.

What box are others using?
Old 04-02-2010, 04:23 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

I have a Thule box - one of the long narrow ones so you can still have a bike on the other side. I set it up so the box sits about an inch forward of the open hatch - works fine.

I could actually place it further towards the rear since the hatch lifters (replaced three times) never raise all the way!
Old 04-02-2010, 04:25 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by yeldogt
I have a Thule box - one of the long narrow ones so you can still have a bike on the other side. I set it up so the box sits about an inch forward of the open hatch - works fine.

I could actually place it further towards the rear since the hatch lifters (replaced three times) never raise all the way!

Thanks. How far over the windshield does it hang? Any pics by chance?
Old 05-03-2010, 01:13 PM
rdc
6th Gear

JohnnyBahamas - Is the roof box still available for sale? If so, I'm interested.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:30 PM
Monica10
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
Too bad that you're in NJ. I'd offer you my new but garage dusty, never used, Porsche Cayenne roof box type 1 with all the mounting gear for one-quarter of whatever I paid for it... whatever that was. Yep, 75% off.

Anyone on the west coast want it? I'm in Tahoe, NV.

PM me.
Do you still have that Cayenne roof box? Would you be willing to ship it by Greyhound? Easy to ship, just address and deliver to Greyhound, no packing required. How much do you want for it? Is it the largest one? Thanks a lot for response. Monica
Old 10-25-2010, 06:32 PM
Monica10
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Monica10
Do you still have that Cayenne roof box? Would you be willing to ship it by Greyhound? Easy to ship, just address and deliver to Greyhound, no packing required. How much do you want for it? Is it the largest one? Thanks a lot for response. Monica
Yes i seenow it is the smaller box, type one. I am interested in purchasing from you. Thanks, Monica

Quick Reply: Will any Thule roof cargo box fit the Cayenne?