Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT4 Market

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 03:01 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

I offered my GT4 for a couple days at a LOT less than it moved for.
Got no bites, consigned, got way more net to me in about 2 weeks.
And I didn't have to show the car or deal with tire kickers.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:03 PM
Corrado79
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I offered my GT4 for a couple days at a LOT less than it moved for.
Got no bites, consigned, got way more net to me in about 2 weeks.
And I didn't have to show the car or deal with tire kickers.
Consigned to a Porsche dealer?
Old 01-10-2017, 03:22 PM
06C2s
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes he had it at Circle Porsche, its the one I missed.

I know the MSRP because I got copies of all of them b4 making offers. I also got the orig. window sticker when I purchased my car (The orig owner put it in with the owners manual...NICE JOB!)
Old 01-10-2017, 03:29 PM
Corrado79
Advanced

Originally Posted by 06C2s
Yes he had it at Circle Porsche, its the one I missed.
Which one was at Circle Porsche?

I know the MSRP because I got copies of all of them b4 making offers. I also got the orig. window sticker when I purchased my car (The orig owner put it in with the owners manual...NICE JOB!)
Fantastic! I wish I had my window sticker and/or knew the MSRP.

Does yours have LWB?
Old 01-10-2017, 03:34 PM
06C2s
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

it was a Rhodium silver with a bunch of CXX special order items and LWB. You can look your car up on the database and the MSRP should be on there as well. Mine does not have LWB but it does have a radio...inside joke with Spyrex
Old 01-10-2017, 03:39 PM
Corrado79
Advanced

it was a Rhodium silver with a bunch of CXX special order items and LWB. You can look your car up on the database and the MSRP should be on there as well. Mine does not have LWB but it does have a radio...inside joke with Spyrex
Cool. I will look it up.

Good to know the guy who swooped up the other silver one.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:32 PM
dave885
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So to summarize thus far.

Good things come to those who wait, but not too long, because the early bird gets the worm, as long as there are worms to be had and you don't get beat out by an earlier bird. Also, you can't take it with you and in the end we're all dead anyway, so just have fun.

Sounds like I definitely should:

1). Buy one now at $5k over MSRP, or
2). Wait and find the one under MSRP, since MSRP is dead, or
3). Wait until after Geneva Auto Show, or
4). Pray for divine intervention

Which leads me to believe what I'm experiencing in my search is what's really out there in the marketplace.

At least no one said don't waste your time since they're terrible cars (not that I expected that).

Appreciate everyone's input, stories and words of wisdom and happy to keep hearing it.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:07 PM
GTS_Ninja
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
MSRP and above days are over.
Asking price and selling price are NOT the same
really, do you think it's over? i keep seeing most LWB cars asking $10k over. non-LWB probably a different story.

Originally Posted by Raghu
The Cayman platform is really the right one for the track. That, coupled with manual transmission is simply Nirvana. I think Porsche has a hidden gem in the GT4. Now some of us might seek more power and that is available with aftermarket mods like larger TB and headers and a tune. That should bring the GT4 to something like 430 HP and smooth out the power band somewhat. Perhaps a better suspension. The package should not cost more than $20K (total cost of the car of about $120-125K). I can't see any reason to part with this thing for a GT3 that would most likely be in the $180K (assuming a few options) ballpark. That does not mean one cannot have a GT4 and a 991.2 GT3 at the same time and heck throw in a GT3RS too on top of that. The 991.2 GT3 simply cannot have a 4.0 (IMHO) as the 918 Spyder God's might get upset for having bought the limited edition 911R because the 911R then would not command as big a premium for resale. So I suspect we will have a 3.8 GT3+MT and P can squeeze out 490HP (with the help of a few tricks up their sleeve). Heck, they won't mind calling it 'the ultimate driver's car' (that always seems to work). I could pay for about a 100 DE's and get a 100 hours in seat time on the track and 10 set of tires and make me a better driver and get to enjoy my GT4 at the same time before I spend the $70K difference between the GT4 and the 991.2 GT3. There are those (myself included) that love the 911 platform too. Well then, there would be some that would sell of the GT4 or the 981 Spyder and get the 991.2 GT3. That's OK too. Someone else can then enjoy the GT4 and you would in all likelihood get back most of the money you spent on buying the GT4. However, I would rather drive my car and enjoy it while I can rather than save the miles on it for the next driver and hope that they would enjoy my car when they buy it from me. If ROI was the primary goal of this investment then it is the wrong investment to begin with. I do agree that the PTS cars probably get more in resale. However, a PTS is only PTS for the person that ordered it. For the next buyer it no longer is PTS (no different from a white or a red or a silver) unless that was the exact color they would have ordered if they had a choice in the matter. So I would say, use the car like you stole it. Leave the ROI to its own fate. No one has seen tomorrow. Its just money and YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU!!!.
PREACH ON!!! Agree 100% here! It's a GT, so it can take it. and after all, it's just a car, not a 1 of 10 collector's item.

Yes I did buy from Woodland Hills

3 GT4's sold at dealers in last 3 weeks that I know of (all in days b4 Christmas)

108K MSRP, 1K miles sold 117K no CPO (I made offer 115K no CPO or 117 with and was turned down)
99K MSRP 5K miles sold 107K might have got CPO in deal
98K MSRP 4400 miles sold 105K with CPO

All SoCal deals, looks like we pay more than the rest of the country.:banged:But I got the car I really wanted so was willing to pay a premium
To my knowledge it is like this nationwide. SoCal guys probably won't see good deals, as there is a huge car culture, and you need a car to go anywhere.

Originally Posted by dave885

Good things come to those who wait, but not too long, because the early bird gets the worm, as long as there are worms to be had and you don't get beat out by an earlier bird. Also, you can't take it with you and in the end we're all dead anyway, so just have fun.

Which leads me to believe what I'm experiencing in my search is what's really out there in the marketplace.

At least no one said don't waste your time since they're terrible cars (not that I expected that).

Appreciate everyone's input, stories and words of wisdom and happy to keep hearing it.
If you find, "The One" and it is slightly over MSRP, bite the bullet and just get it. You will regret it afterwards if you don't. The GT4 is all that it is advertised and more. I believe if you pay a little more, but it makes you really happy, it was money well spent.

If you want to hedge, wait til around or after Geneva. A lot of owners are already making room. But i suspect that you won't be getting that great of a deal. Prices will probably be MSRP+ for used examples. And dealers definitely will be asking over. Especially to first timers.

After all, there is still a huge segment of first time Porsche owners/drivers that want to get into a GT4, and i think dealers are going to take advantage and not offer any discounts.

And as for long term... anyone who is lucky enough to have one (most of us here) knows what a special car this is. I think Porsche blessed us by releasing the 718 and not re-issuing another GT4. That bodes well for the car's value long-term. Most other non GT models get hit pretty hard with depreciation, but i believe we'll be able to put 10-15k miles on this car and sell it for sticker or even more in 2-3 yrs later. It's the reason i sold my 991.

Only time will tell, but if market history is any indication, i feel confident about my opinion. My 2cents... that is all. Thanks and GL with your search!
Old 01-10-2017, 06:21 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by Corrado79
Consigned to a Porsche dealer?
yes
Old 01-10-2017, 07:23 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS_Ninja
really, do you think it's over? i keep seeing most LWB cars asking $10k over. non-LWB probably a different story.
Asking and selling price are not the same.
There are nice LWB GT4 for sale here in the classifieds. Not jumping off the shelves even at msrp or below. Above aren't moving.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:03 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,089 Likes on 572 Posts

Sold my first GT4 with 5k mi prefect /2ways in july for 85 -91msrp. Eventually i think they will become just used cars . Probably with slower deprecation still a used car. Any car that i have owned that went up in value did it after i sold it for less than i paid.carl
Old 01-10-2017, 09:06 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by dave885

You're learning that the answer to any question posed on Rennlist is always the same: yes, no, maybe, it depends, higher and lower.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:21 PM
GTS_Ninja
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Asking and selling price are not the same.
There are nice LWB GT4 for sale here in the classifieds. Not jumping off the shelves even at msrp or below. Above aren't moving.
You have a point. But just because they aren't moving isn't an indication of the price. I think it's more an indication of the demand... of course with a little price elasticity involved.

Those asks are a little ambitious. However, i believe the reality is, if you want a GT4 w LWB right now, you don't really have a choice but to pay over MSRP. Generally speaking, i don't know of anyone getting them @ MSRP, and definitely not under.

I don't see ANYONE offering theirs for under MSRP. When the time comes, would you (not sure about your mileage)?

Originally Posted by Archimedes
You're learning that the answer to any question posed on Rennlist is always the same: yes, no, maybe, it depends, higher and lower.
Heh, very funny. It should be that way. It's the interwebs after all!
Old 01-10-2017, 09:40 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS_Ninja
Those asks are a little ambitious. However, i believe the reality is, if you want a GT4 w LWB right now, you don't really have a choice but to pay over MSRP. Generally speaking, i don't know of anyone getting them @ MSRP, and definitely not under.

I don't see ANYONE offering theirs for under MSRP. When the time comes, would you (not sure about your mileage)?
There is a post just below this with someone selling @ msrp with lwbs and pccbs..

Old 01-10-2017, 09:44 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

Winter blues and/or speculation that this market would run higher and it didnt happen on the GT4 as some predicted.

Bubble?

Quick Reply: GT4 Market