GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

OT: Cayman GT4

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 12:04 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Just to clarify, I wasn't referring to just the previous GT cars nor was I singling out the GT4 re: the mechanical LSD. It's just a fact that they've been a known weak point in Porsches for many years. I'm hoping the electronic LSD in the GT3 will fare better in the long run.
In the GT3, the e-diff and shocks are two clever items which are essential to the performance of the car, and could be expensive to replace when worn. I hope there proves to be some good way of detecting the progression of their wear, other than realizing one day that the car isn't performing like it used to, but not knowing why.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:06 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Just to clarify, I wasn't referring to just the previous GT cars nor was I singling out the GT4 re: the mechanical LSD. It's just a fact that they've been a known weak point in Porsches for many years. I'm hoping the electronic LSD in the GT3 will fare better in the long run.
Fair enough. I would expect that the LSD in the GT4 could/would be beefier than that used in other non-Motorsports versions of the Boxster/Cayman. But, impossible to know at this point without more info.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:12 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
In the GT3, the e-diff and shocks are two clever items which are essential to the performance of the car, and could be expensive to replace when worn. I hope there proves to be some good way of detecting the progression of their wear, other than realizing one day that the car isn't performing like it used to, but not knowing why.
I hope so too. In the old days it was a lot simpler to diagnose problems with wear items and maybe even repair them yourself. The clever bits and electronics on todays cars are great but in many cases it takes advanced training to work on them.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:15 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Fair enough. I would expect that the LSD in the GT4 could/would be beefier than that used in other non-Motorsports versions of the Boxster/Cayman. But, impossible to know at this point without more info.
Do the standard versions have a LSD, or are they open diffs?
Old 02-10-2015, 12:31 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
It's an option. Mechanical LSD (PTV) with manual gearbox or Electronically controlled LSD with PDK (PTV Plus).
Old 02-10-2015, 12:34 AM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 99 Posts

Open as standard, PTV (LSD + torque vectoring) optional.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:15 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Hi Eduardo - I think there was some confusion. Someone was saying that the mechanical LSD in the old 997 GT3 was "dodgy" and they were indeed known to be a bit fragile...AFAIK, the GT4 transmission is very similar/same to that used in current and recent Boxsters/Caymans.
Yes, the factory LSD didn't last long in any 997 gt3, RS, Spyder or Cayman R used at the track!

Yes, PTV+ of the GT3 will fare much better...according to Matt Monson of Guard Transmission LLC. See his post at the end!

Originally Posted by sunnyr
My money is on the GT4 having whatever diff is on PTV equipped 991/981 cars and not what is on 997 GT cars (unless Porsche carried that over for all PTV 991/981 cars).
Yes...but plain PTV (as opposed to PTV+ with PDK) is apparently not that good! Only the PTV+ of the PDK gt3's, 991S's & 911 Turbos are the state-of-the-art LSD systems!

Originally Posted by sunnyr
And separate question, doesn't GT3 (and other PTV plus cars) also have a mech LSD, except the locking ratio is variable instead of being fixed?
See Matt Monson's post at the end for an explanation!

Originally Posted by Manifold
Yes, we all hope so!

Let's hope its a beefier unit but we need confirmation. If it's the set up that comes with the optional PTV of the 981's & base 991's, that will not be good enough for track duty! And if that is the case in the GT4, a Guard LSD will be a modification that could offer improved track performance. See Matt Monson's post at the end.

It's an option. Mechanical LSD (PTV) with manual gearbox or Electronically controlled LSD with PDK (PTV Plus).
Originally Posted by vantage
Open as standard, PTV (LSD + torque vectoring) optional.
Just to clarify, here is what the GT4 comes with as standard equipment from factory:

Finally here again is Matt Monson's response in a recent Rennlist thread that is relevant to this conversation:

Originally Posted by GTgears
Hi Guys,

Eduardo pinged me and asked me to pop in and shed some light on this. Let's start with a picture since everyone likes pictures. And then I will explain.

This is a picture of the LSD found in the 991 GT3. It is called PTV+. PTV is used in the other vehicles. PTV+ is only used in the 991 GT3, the Turbo and the Carrera S. What you are looking at is how the LSD is actuated to provide variable locking rates in real time. That double row ring with bearings is to distribute the load when force is applied from the outside. The pin he's putting back in the LSD body is what the ring presses down on to apply more force to the clutches, and thus more locking factor.

There is an oil pressure feed that clamps the rings. When the car detects wheelslip the ring is pressurized. It is truly a zero preload LSD with 0% lock in steady state.

Porsche first used this approach back on the 959 and 964 C4 gearboxes. Back then there were slave cylinders applying the force though. This is the next wave in high tech LSDs. At this point we see zero reason to attempt to do better.

The only other thing I would add is that PTV is also a mechanical LSD in conjunction with electronic babysitters. Our LSD will replace that one with a more aggressive unit for owners of 991 Carreras.
https://rennlist.com/forums/newreply...e=1&p=11889205

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 02-10-2015, 02:33 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Yes, PTV+ of the GT3 will fare much better...according to Matt Monson of Guard Transmission LLC. See his post at the end!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
His quote, "At this point we see zero reason to attempt to do better" is definitely encouraging!
Old 02-10-2015, 08:20 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

FYI, the mechanical LSD in my street 996 GT3 was weak also. Copans could rebuild it with beefier components (steel instead of brass).
Old 02-10-2015, 09:52 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
FYI, the mechanical LSD in my street 996 GT3 was weak also. Copans could rebuild it with beefier components (steel instead of brass).
Don't mean to derail, but how do I know that my LSD is shot and it needs a rebuild? I need to check the PO records but I think my (996 gt3) LSD is still the original one from new. Can't imagine this car being any more fun at the track than it already is (with a presumably shot LSD).
Old 02-10-2015, 09:55 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Don't mean to derail, but how do I know that my LSD is shot and it needs a rebuild? I need to check the PO records but I think my (996 gt3) LSD is still the original one from new. Can't imagine this car being any more fun at the track than it already is (with a presumably shot LSD).
OT: Quick and dirty fix...warm up the car, jack up one side, and put a torque wrench on your axle note and use the torque wrench to find out how much force is required to slip the unloaded wheel. If it's not 55 lb/ft or better, she is freed up.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:00 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
OT: Quick and dirty fix...warm up the car, jack up one side, and put a torque wrench on your axle note and use the torque wrench to find out how much force is required to slip the unloaded wheel. If it's not 55 lb/ft or better, she is freed up.
Good to know, John. Thx!
Old 02-10-2015, 10:01 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Good to know, John. Thx!
Any time...I was at the desk on the phone and had a few minutes.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:07 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Actually that test doesn't work on a GT3. They are about 15lb/ft when new, and Porsche says 5lb/ft when worn out. Short answer is that a low preload brass clutched LSD doesn't work very well on track. Interested parties can search out the "LSD Buster" thread in the 997 GT3 forum. While the 997 gets crummy ramps in addition to the other issues, most of the info still applies to the 996 GT3 guys. Short answer, if you track your car, rebuild your LSD.

Now on to PTV. As described in the section Eduardo linked, PTV is a mechanical LSD AND braking. It's really just marketing with some slight changes to the electronics in the ABS ECU. It's pretty much the same as the ABD and traction control that has been in the cars for a number of years now, with a new name. Not all iterations in the past had a mechanical LSD. Now they do.

For those interested in seeing the Cayman LSD up close, you can review this thread:
http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-b...dissected.html
Just be aware that any comments about making clutches or ramps for it are completely obsolete. We won't be doing that ever. Not cost effective.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:14 PM
SuperPenguin
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subbed for interest. Depending on allocation and how this car turns out the M3 might be going in for a '16 GT4

Quick Reply: OT: Cayman GT4