Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Any ways to 'tighten' up 958tt suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 01:10 AM
Socialpro
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Any ways to 'tighten' up 958tt suspension?

Looked through pages and pages of threads and have not found much on this topic.

Recently picked up a 2015 CTT that checked of ALL of my boxes outside of PDCC/PTV. I knew that was a gamble going in (but I gave it the benefit of a doubt getting one w/out as I thought its still the 'Porsche' of SUVs) ---

BUT -- I have found the car riding overly floaty, and pretty bad 'roll' on turns, etc. I know its an 'suv' and I shouldnt expect the car to behave like the Audi S4 I just came out from, or a 'sports car' in general - but maybe there is SOMETHING I can do to tighten her up? Lowering using links? Any kind of sway bar? Any other suggestions that someone has used?

I keep the car in the hardest suspension setting - and it still feels like driving a raised S-Class. This is the first SUV that I've owned - and honestly wasn't sure what to expect from such a 'large/tall' car on day to day basis.

Straight line / freeway power is insane - I just feel the car to be unbalanced the way it is now and afraid to push it much into the corners.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:22 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Doesn't sound normal at all. I assume it has air suspension (all CTT's have it I believe) - have you set it for the low level? If so - what sort of tires are on it and what pressure are you running them at? Feeling floaty isn't a Cayenne thing. My wife usually claims it's somewhat harsh when I have the 21" summer tires on it.

As far as changes - aside from tires and tire pressure - none I would suggest. LOOK at the size of the sway bars before you consider asking if there are replacements (I've never seen any..) The front bar is about 1.5" diameter.

BTW - You mentioned looking through pages and pages of postings looking for the same complaint and not finding anything. I think that might be a clue that your problem may be your vehicle - not the Cayenne in general. Maybe you have 1 or more blown struts/shocks.. (although I've never heard of this either.)

Last edited by deilenberger; 02-17-2017 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:23 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

Not that it's helpful, but you should've bought one with PDCC.

Alternatively, if everything checks out as working properly you might look into resetting the ride height a bit lower using a Durametric, or maybe look at doing a +1 wheel and tire upgrade (i.e. 21s to 22s) which will mean a lower profile tire (to keep the rolling circumference the same) and that will reduce sidewall flex, firming things up.

But, I agree with Don, these vehicles don't usually ride very "cushy", especially in sport mode so you may have something else going on.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:56 AM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts

I have a GTS w/o PDCC and my car isn't floaty at all - it feels very planted even in comfort setting, which I use 99% of the time.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:01 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Recommended Mods:
You should be able to reduce weight to that of an S4 if you strip out the entire interior except the driver's seat, remove the exhaust, and run around on 1/4 tank of 24/7, LOL!

In all seriousness, there is probably something wrong with it...

1. Drive another to see if it handles the same.
2. Check your tire pressures, they make a much bigger difference on these heavier cars.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:25 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

I felt the same way when I got mine and yours is much newer. You're right, it's an suv. Find a safe corner and start pushing it harder and harder. Pick a marker on your entry, carry the same line, mark your speed @ entry, the limits will probably surprise and surpass you.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:41 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

PDCC makes a HUGE difference on the Cayenne, far more than on a 911 where I do not find it a necessary option for street driving.

Air suspension also makes a big difference not only in ride but I believe in controlling unwanted body motion. So like others have mentioned I would have this checked out by a Porsche dealer.

My 2012 Turbo with PDCC (can not be turned off) in sport mode corners extra ordinarily flat and precise, not far off from my 997 2009 911 Carrera S.

Tire pressure also should be checked. Summer tires are also a big improvement over winter or even all season tires.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:31 AM
Socialpro
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Maybe my initial description is off - I dont believe there is anything 'wrong' with the car. I think the problem is more with me and and the fact that I have never owned a higher vehicle / suv / truck in my life before.

Its got a nick over 20K miles (CPO vehicle) and super 'solid' overall - I think I'm just trying to get a truck to do what I was able to do in my recent 'sports cars' and daily drivers (997s, 3 series bmws, S4 audi, gallardo, etc) - and have grown slowly to adjust for the size and heft of a 5K pound vehicle.

Its definitely an adjustment, and I am more and more confident pushing it into corners the more I drive her (2 weeks ownership today). Car is riding on 21" wheels (New tires as well).

I was mostly curious to see what if any aftermarket options were present to give the truck an even 'tighter' feel over turns and winding roads.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:04 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Trading it in for one with PDCC/PTV will be more worthwhile than any mods you can make.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:43 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

My CD on steel springs feels just as good compared to my old F10 550XI M sport despite a higher center of gravity. These cars are well engineered for what they are.

Quick Reply: Any ways to 'tighten' up 958tt suspension?