Originally Posted by aa909
I think this thread has officially gone
It always does with this guy. I'm done.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:24 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Gasman
There is no CEL issue , you are totally misinterpreting my post. To be clear if you are using another tune, NOT RUF, you could throw a CEL with any 100 cell cat. I have never had a 100cell related CEL, ever.
Are we clear now?
Make fun of the RUF all you want, I'm used to people hating on it. It's usually driven by envy and jealousy. It's cool, RUF is not for everyone, nor is a Zegna suit or a Patek. The thing about RUF, they're not about being the fastest or the loudest. They are about factory reliable performance for a highly particular connoisseur.
Barry is the guy , I'm pretty sure, that bought the RUF car second hand and took it to EVO. Evo is the last tuner I would use. I would never rape a RUF like that, better off selling and starting from scratch. I'm a track rat myself and I have passed many a "tuned" 650 whatever on the track.
Dude, why do you get so worked up about mufflers?? One of the reasons I infrequent these boards anymore, it's quite tiresome, that and my offshore fishing addiction.
No one is making fun out of anything Doug. I'm not worked up over mufflers or anything. This is a discussion forum and we are having discussion. That is all. I guess we could always go back to talking about pink stiching on yellow and blue seats lol...and compliment one another how "fab" it looks..lol
Also, like yourself, when i go missing from these boards is because I am fishing or surfing or doing something else much more fun too. If it is tiresome then that means it is time to go fishing... I know where I will be this W.E. and if I am posting it will only be between having a lot of other fun.

Originally Posted by aa909
I think this thread has officially gone
lmao!

Originally Posted by TT Gasman
It always does with this guy. I'm done.
Sheesh why is it that certain "guys" do this pull the rip cord thing when the discussion swings out of their favour.. Doug.... no one is rubbishing anything from what I can see but what I do see is a whole lot of defensiveness over stuff that has been exposed as being not quite as good as it was cracked up to be....and stuff that has overly charged off the back of a label claiming as being the be all end all when it isn't. I'm sure the RUF package is good though as I do respect your opinion Doug but there is better out there, that I am quite sure of.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:55 AM
Leo997TT
Banned

This again! Lmao
Attached Images    
Old 05-23-2014, 03:11 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by Leo997TT
This again! Lmao
Yep Leo it is always entertaining when guys bring stuff onto an EP thread that really doesn't properly stack up, pitch it up against the EP as being on par or better. Silly really. As good as it may be to some here the ruf was bound to wind up downed like a shot duck when you look at the glaringly obvious.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:59 AM
Leo997TT
Banned

Originally Posted by speed21
Yep Leo it is always entertaining when guys bring stuff onto an EP thread that really doesn't properly stack up, pitch it up against the EP as being on par or better. Silly really. As good as it may be to some here the ruf was bound to wind up downed like a shot duck when you look at the glaringly obvious.
I hear nothing but great things about RUF but they don't specialize in exhausts... They are more about the entire build, engine, Turbos, suspension, etc
Old 05-23-2014, 02:50 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Cargraphic FTMFW!!! LOL....... Europipe (the name sounds gay lol) who likes riding Europipes on this forum? Lmao
Old 05-23-2014, 05:00 PM
ChrisAW
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any time something goes off the rails I always see the same few names. Get it together and try not to be so abrasive.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:57 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 283 Posts

I hear nothing but great things about RUF but they don't specialize in exhausts... They are more about the entire build, engine, Turbos, suspension, etc
Leo, you are right. Ruf is a great brand and over the years they have earned their spot in pcar history. I met Alois Ruf in Pfaffenhausen some years ago and he makes incredible cars and has a hard core following around the world. I would love to own a Ruf pcar some day....talk about street cred!
Old 05-23-2014, 08:58 PM
speed21
Banned

Agree on all of these points Leo. Not only was the Ruf exhaust not the point of the OP's discussion but it has clearly been outdone regardless of how good it good a system it is...and I suspect by a few systems on the market as well. For company to rest on the laurels of their past achievements to claim the higher ground over another product that has clearly bested what they did is being indulgent. From a performance standpoint it has been outdone and whilst it is claimed not to have any drone we are having to take the word of only 2 people, one of which said the tubi didn't drone when even the designer CMS said it did.

Originally Posted by Igooz
Leo, you are right. Ruf is a great brand and over the years they have earned their spot in pcar history. I met Alois Ruf in Pfaffenhausen some years ago and he makes incredible cars and has a hard core following around the world. I would love to own a Ruf pcar some day....talk about street cred!
No question. But it is all off topic as Art pointed out before... That said I am not the OP and therefore don't want to stifle any discussion that is bought into the mix, always glad to mix it up, but when "some guys" try and make me out to be the villain of the discussion all the damn time when in essence it was they that contaminated the discussion pushing their own barrows in the first instances (not that I have a problem with that either if I may add) I fail to see why they can't deal with what gets put up as a consequence. These two would like everyone to believe it is me that is getting wound up over "mufflers "yet every solitary thread that is posted up regarding mufflers these same guys are there in the thick of it as much as me and in some cases even more.

I hate to say it but evidently it suits "some guys" to vilify me because of what I generally put up in these muffler discussions usurps their own agendas (and that pisses them off), by my use of reference material that has been posted by other members that have reported first hand their own experiences with the very same products they are pushing....and in question/topic. I mean really. Saying Barry didn't know what he was talking about. Give me a break! The guy was widely respected in the 6 community even amongst all the mods there. So now Barry isn't around to defend himself all of a sudden he didn't know what he was talking about yet "these guys" do? Lmao! Fact is Barry had used both the Ruf and the EP2 systems on his own RUF car whereas these guys haven't so my money is on Barry being the far better qualified to make the call here. The rest is all just emotional mumbo jumbo based on nothing but an allegiance to the RUF flag.

No one is ridiculing the RUF or saying it is a bad system but to say it is a better performing system than the EP2 based purely on emotion and pride of the RUF product is just being plain silly.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:34 PM
aminewyork
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi all,

Was contemplating starting a new post with this but figured I'd keep it all in here.

The short story:

I love this EP2. The sound level, the deep bass tone, love it all.

Over time, I have NOT loved this drone in cruising rpm range (2200 - 2700). I only notice it on highway but I started to think that EP1 might be better over time.

So, got an EP1 from Stef too (yup, I always do this on all exhausts) so I can compare. Per all of the EP1 owners's comments, I was assuming zero drone.

Just went over to my shop to take the car on a 30 min ride, and even with EP1 I STILL have drone in the cruising rpm range. Its not nearly as intense as EP2 but it's still noticeable. I can't believe it. My car is bone stock, no tune.

Just to confirm with all you 997.1 tt EP1 owners - you guys don't have any drone right?
Old 06-19-2014, 08:02 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by aminewyork
Hi all,

Was contemplating starting a new post with this but figured I'd keep it all in here.

The short story:

Over time, I have NOT loved this drone in cruising rpm range (2200 - 2700). I only notice it on highway but I started to think that EP1 might be better over time.

So, got an EP1 from Stef too (yup, I always do this on all exhausts) so I can compare. Per all of the EP1 owners's comments, I was assuming zero drone.

Just went over to my shop to take the car on a 30 min ride, and even with EP1 I STILL have drone in the cruising rpm range. Its not nearly as intense as EP2 but it's still noticeable. I can't believe it. My car is bone stock, no tune.

Just to confirm with all you 997.1 tt EP1 owners - you guys don't have any drone right?
Hmmm that sounds odd. Are you sure the car is bone stock no tune? How many Kms has it done in terms of wear? I do know that some tunes change the sound of an exhaust and cause drone...i recall reading that on 6 from a member who had an issue with an evoms tune. In so far as the drone level you are experiencing how would you rate it out of a scale of 1 to 10 if comparing the two systems EP1 and EP2? Also is your car tipronic or manual? I recall my numerous rides in rl member dianics car in Greece and his has a tip,and his EP1 had no drone at all. Mine was a manual, and in terms of being able to detect anything you may refer to as drone with the EP1 it was better than the stock system which would manifest a very slight resonant hum around 1800 to 2200 going up a hill in 5th under low rpm load (much as the stock 991tts system is actually). With the EP1 in that same situation it was not increased in fact was less noticeable than stock because any hum that would develop under certain load situations at lowish rpms (1800 to 2200) was more evenly spread tonally instead of piercing or pointed in the way the stock hum could be in certain load situations. Maybe your car has crook engine mounts or you are running a different fuel or something? Odd. Anyway let me know out of 1 to 10 how it compares with the EP2 and also the stock system too. That may help me get my head around what you may be experiencing. Maybe other EP1 users can also chime in with their thoughts on this one.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:37 PM
magicjack
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I notice no drone most of of time. On occasional minimal drone with the EP1.

Over time, you may be right about EP 1.
I initially wanted the exhaust louder, but over time that desire has subsided and I feel the EP 1 gets better with time. Great for the long term. Its probably the only worthwhile mod I've done.
The following users liked this post:
jayi836 (07-29-2019)
Old 06-19-2014, 09:48 PM
cjcam930
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 89 Posts

Hi all,

The short story:

I am currently in the EP2 build queue -- please PM me if you are interested in selling your EP2.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:52 PM
aminewyork
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
Hmmm that sounds odd. Are you sure the car is bone stock no tune? How many Kms has it done in terms of wear? I do know that some tunes change the sound of an exhaust and cause drone...i recall reading that on 6 from a member who had an issue with an evoms tune. In so far as the drone level you are experiencing how would you rate it out of a scale of 1 to 10 if comparing the two systems EP1 and EP2? Also is your car tipronic or manual? I recall my numerous rides in rl member dianics car in Greece and his has a tip,and his EP1 had no drone at all. Mine was a manual, and in terms of being able to detect anything you may refer to as drone with the EP1 it was better than the stock system which would manifest a very slight resonant hum around 1800 to 2200 going up a hill in 5th under low rpm load (much as the stock 991tts system is actually). With the EP1 in that same situation it was not increased in fact was less noticeable than stock because any hum that would develop under certain load situations at lowish rpms (1800 to 2200) was more evenly spread tonally instead of piercing or pointed in the way the stock hum could be in certain load situations. Maybe your car has crook engine mounts or you are running a different fuel or something? Odd. Anyway let me know out of 1 to 10 how it compares with the EP2 and also the stock system too. That may help me get my head around what you may be experiencing. Maybe other EP1 users can also chime in with their thoughts on this one.
If EP2 Drone was a 10, then EP1 in my car is around a 6-7 I'd say.

Going to have dealer re-flash the ECU completely tomorrow just to make sure 100% its bone stock. Stef has brought this issues up too but my dealer said it was bone stock. Re-flash, however, is the only way to make sure
Old 06-19-2014, 10:11 PM
speed21
Banned

If EP2 Drone was a 10, then EP1 in my car is around a 6-7 I'd say.

Going to have dealer re-flash the ECU completely tomorrow just to make sure 100% its bone stock. Stef has brought this issues up too but my dealer said it was bone stock. Re-flash, however, is the only way to make sure
I'd have them check over all the mounting points as well. Something sounds not right. What about your fuel? Is that a possibility you don't have the right octane rating?

Btw you didn't mention what the 1 to 10 was comparing the stock system against EP1. That may also help to rationalize the problem.

Other thing I noticed is that you said you only took it for a relatively short run. I'd run it for a few days before making a final call on switching back to the EP2. A 30 minute run is not something I would personally say is a long enough period to make a call to switch back to a system that in essence prompted you enough to make the change in the first place. I mean the system was totally brand new too and will need a few heat cycles to burn off any residual matter.

I recall my first EP1 experience back to back a Tubi and, previous to that. back to back the stock system....on the same day within a matter of hours. EP1 did certainly sound louder than stock inside, but in the range where you can select a gear and an incline so to put it under a constant load, run it at 1800 to 2200 to find an annoying resonance it definitely seemed subdued in comparison to the stock system even though all-round interior volumes were up against stock. It is hard to describe but there is no question in my mind that the EP1 had a less resonant sound in that range than the stock system even though the exhaust was all round louder if not by a great deal from the inside of the car. I found on 99% of driving you would not be able to put the engine into any situation where it would create any resonance at all. Anyway...I would concur with majic jack that the more you drive it the more you realize just how brilliant the system really is.
The following users liked this post:
jayi836 (07-29-2019)

Quick Reply: Europipe stage 1 or stage 2?