Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,275 Likes on 588 Posts

Delete
Old 06-19-2014, 11:09 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

your experience seems odd, I've had an EP1 for almost 18 months and no drone issues here.
The following users liked this post:
jayi836 (07-29-2019)
Old 06-20-2014, 12:21 AM
bgrpph
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

997.1 Tip, EP1 scheduled for shipping from Stef in a day or so- decided on EP1 after listening to Stef & others here with my Tip. Planning install around 7/7- more in a few weeks.

I drove 997.1 6 sp with EP2 awhile back- had drone between 2200-2700 but was easy to get out of that rpm range with 6 sp. With tip it's more difficult so went with EP1- I've never noticed any drone with stock exhaust at any rpm range, even in auto mode which always stays in 4th or 5th, when it should be in 2nd or 3rd.

Even now in my Tip with stock exhaust, i use manual mode & try to keep engine revving above 2500 rpms. I'd never be in 5th gear going uphill at 1800-2200 rpms, i'd be in 2nd or 3rd gear. Perhaps as someone said in another post about AM exhausts, it sometimes takes driving a bit faster/slower or shifting to another gear.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:37 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bgrpph
997.1 Tip, EP1 scheduled for shipping from Stef in a day or so- decided on EP1 after listening to Stef & others here with my Tip. Planning install around 7/7- more in a few weeks.

I drove 997.1 6 sp with EP2 awhile back- had drone between 2200-2700 but was easy to get out of that rpm range with 6 sp. With tip it's more difficult so went with EP1- I've never noticed any drone with stock exhaust at any rpm range, even in auto mode which always stays in 4th or 5th, when it should be in 2nd or 3rd.

Even now in my Tip with stock exhaust, i use manual mode & try to keep engine revving above 2500 rpms. I'd never be in 5th gear going uphill at 1800-2200 rpms, i'd be in 2nd or 3rd gear. Perhaps as someone said in another post about AM exhausts, it sometimes takes driving a bit faster/slower or shifting to another gear.
This is where I completely disagree with that person you speak of. I have also come across some total tosser over on 6 **** himself to death about how this car has to be always driven over 3000 rpms to avoid drone from his own headache factory CG, preaching as if anyone who drives below that doesn't know how to drive the car properly. Total nonsense! Obviously he and his accomplice had a stake in sales of this droning rubbish and couldn't afford to have me exposing their little charade so they had their mod pal ban me from behind the scenes. God knows how many suckers have fallen victim to their misleading BS.. sad what goes on over there. Pathetic is probably the better word....

If an AM exhaust requires the driver to conform to abnormal driving methods just to avoid headaches then what is the point of having it? A car like this should IMO be able to be driven in any gear at any rpms without having annoying resonance and this is where the EP1 is so brilliant. As I said in an earlier post I have ridden in another RL members car on a few occasions now which is a tiptronic and there is no drone whatsoever at any revs or gear. It is quiet inside excepting the nice sound of a Porsche engine which is how it should be. My own was a manual and there was also no drone in any sense that could possibly be referred to as annoying least of all force you to drive the car at a particular rpm or, in a particular gear to avoid nuisance drone. Even my Porsche dealer said my car was unique in that sense compared to the many others they had driven with AM systems... which made them cringe why would anyone do that to a car like this!! With the EP1, naturally the inside sound will rise and fall with the power of the engine, at higher than stock volumes (if not by a great deal) but not in any way that created any ear aggravating resonance. This is how a good system should perform. If OP is experiencing resonant drone with his EP1 then there must be something going wrong somewhere....no question in my mind about that.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:37 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by aminewyork
Hi all,

Was contemplating starting a new post with this but figured I'd keep it all in here.

The short story:

I love this EP2. The sound level, the deep bass tone, love it all.

Over time, I have NOT loved this drone in cruising rpm range (2200 - 2700). I only notice it on highway but I started to think that EP1 might be better over time.

So, got an EP1 from Stef too (yup, I always do this on all exhausts) so I can compare. Per all of the EP1 owners's comments, I was assuming zero drone.

Just went over to my shop to take the car on a 30 min ride, and even with EP1 I STILL have drone in the cruising rpm range. Its not nearly as intense as EP2 but it's still noticeable. I can't believe it. My car is bone stock, no tune.

Just to confirm with all you 997.1 tt EP1 owners - you guys don't have any drone right?
They all drone a little, even the stock. If the install is good I'd ask steph to send you another, everybody cranks out a dud now and then. The chance of the ecu making it drone is remote, especially if stock. If the nuts on the cats are loose it will drone like mad, check the install first.
Just check the tightness with a 13mm wrench, easy to rule out.
GL
C
Old 06-21-2014, 01:54 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

My EP1 drones a little but so did the stock exhaust.
The following users liked this post:
jayi836 (07-29-2019)
Old 06-21-2014, 08:22 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

This is joe Fabiani the president of Fabspeed Motorsport.

speed 21 are you getting a sales commission by tirelessly Working, plugging, and posting for Europipe or what? You are relentless in your affection for europipe no matter what facts or empiracle data is released.

Holy hell it's out.....the $6000 europipe resonates and droans.That's been the case for years. Tightening bolts, eliminating software tunes and Praying to God is not going to change anything. The EP muffler cases need to be redesigned and new tooling bought.

Here are some facts and misinformation I want to clear up. I been a Porsche club member, club racer, de instructor and exotic car owner for 30 years and I have seen and tried and driven virtually everything. I own fabspeed Motorsport USA a 25,000 sq ft manufacturing , engineering and testing facility devoted to achieving sports car sound and power from Exotic cars.

1st the Porsche 996 TT cars resonated or droaned with virtually every single exhaust brand Because the 996 twin turbos were not variable vein turbos. Fabspeed designed the 1st exhaust for these cars and made full race to quiet Tiptronic systems .

HJS Germany offers the worlds very very best catalytic converters for any car. HJS utilizes only Emitec catalytic converters and HJS German uses their proprietary trimetalic coating for the catalytic converters. HJS Germany is the one and only company to get real quality catalytic converters.

Emitec does not coat cores and does not sell aftermarket or to the public. There is no back door and no titanium cats for Akrapovic.

The Porsche 996TT and 997TT mufflers are very very restrictive reverse 3 chamber cross flow mufflers and have 4 catalytic converters. That is why all these cars sound like Nuclear vacuum cleaners when bone stock. No sports car sound whatsoever. RUF and others are buying these lousy mufflers for $200 cutting them open and making minor minor changes welding in catalytic converters are Charging a Kings Ransome. The factory stuff is beat. Flane suit on.

The droan you guys are describing is actually called sympathetic resonance and is very difficult to control and takes multiple designs , modeling, testing and technology to eradicate. The Germans, Italians and other Europeans do NOT have a handle on it.

Many European Italian and German exhaust companies claim they have sophisticated European sound and no resonance and with TUV approval and the Unlimited Autobahn you get the very best ! That's the biggest total BS European snobbery fallacy that has been going on for years.

200 cell catalytic converters typically outflow and outlast 100 cell catalytic converters.
Catalytic converters are described in CPSI or cells per square in. Less cells translates into more flow. There is a lot more to it than that as well. I have made videos showing garbage 100 cell cats with numerous steel pins that are cross drilled to stop the cat from imploding.

HJS Germany strongly and actively advises against using 100 cell catalytic converters all the time on late model OBD 2 Euro level 5 cars. HJS Germany advises tuners to use 200 cell catalytic converters.

How does joe Fabiani at Fabspeed Motorsport USA know this as factual? BECAUSE Fabspeed Motorsport is HJS Germany's #2 worlds largest buyer of HJS catalytic converters. I buy the right HJS catalytic converters for these cars from Ferrari F12 (734HP stock on my dyno right now) to the latest McLaren and Porsche 991TT cars. I made numerous Videos showing bogus no name lousy catalytic converters being used on extremely expensive European aftermarket exhaust systems and USA Porsche TT exhausts. It's complete robbery and nonsense especially given the close to $6000 to $11000 some companies are charging.

Fabspeed Motorsport has Sold and private labeled many of our systems to German , Italian and USA tuners . I sold to many of these guys including ANDIAL and big shots in Florida. Typically my systems were shamelessly copied.

100 cell cats will usually set off check engine lights and have a 75% increased chance of structurally failing . 100 cell cats often require a mandatory software tune to eliminate cel lights which is bogus! Often 100 cell cats from various overseas manufactures flow terribly as they have flow restrictions built into the cores. There are many other factors and engineering that I could share from the Frankfurt Autoshow.

Fabspeed Motorsport USA has redesigned many twin turbo exhaust systems and has a 70mm 2.75" system with HJS German 200 cell catalytic converters that adds +35 to late model twin turbo cars and sounds great, is fully polished , and can be offered in several levels of sportscar sound.

Fabspeed Motorsport twin turbo exhaust systems typically make more significant power than other systems and are fully dyno developed with no correction factors.

Our website and videos explain everything in graphic detail and we stand behind our products . Cruise by for a factory tour I show you all around myself. If you can check out our website and you can see videos of our multimillion dollar fabrication operation explaining everything.
www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist
Old 06-21-2014, 08:49 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe@Fabspeed
100 cell cats will usually set off check engine lights and have a 75% increased chance of structurally failing . 100 cell cats often require a mandatory software tune to eliminate cel lights which is bogus! Often 100 cell cats from various overseas manufactures flow terribly as they have flow restrictions built into the cores. There are many other factors and engineering that I could share from the Frankfurt Autoshow.
I can't argue the engineering with you but I can share first hand experiences - I've had a 2007 997 TT and a 2008 997 TT, and on both I installed EP2 with 100 cell cats. Over 6 years and a combined 50,000 miles I never had a CEL. Neither car was tuned (stock ECU) so I'm not sure of the source of your statement...at least as it applies to me.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:40 PM
speed21
Banned

This is joe Fabiani the president of Fabspeed Motorsport.

speed 21 are you getting a sales commission by tirelessly Working, plugging, and posting for Europipe or what? You are relentless in your affection for europipe no matter what facts or empiracle data is released.

Holy hell it's out.....the $6000 europipe resonates and droans.That's been the case for years. Tightening bolts, eliminating software tunes and Praying to God is not going to change anything. The EP muffler cases need to be redesigned and new tooling bought.

Here are some facts and misinformation I want to clear up. I been a Porsche club member, club racer, de instructor and exotic car owner for 30 years and I have seen and tried and driven virtually everything. I own fabspeed Motorsport USA a 25,000 sq ft manufacturing , engineering and testing facility devoted to achieving sports car sound and power from Exotic cars.

1st the Porsche 996 TT cars resonated or droaned with virtually every single exhaust brand Because the 996 twin turbos were not variable vein turbos. Fabspeed designed the 1st exhaust for these cars and made full race to quiet Tiptronic systems .

HJS Germany offers the worlds very very best catalytic converters for any car. HJS utilizes only Emitec catalytic converters and HJS German uses their proprietary trimetalic coating for the catalytic converters. HJS Germany is the one and only company to get real quality catalytic converters.

Emitec does not coat cores and does not sell aftermarket or to the public. There is no back door and no titanium cats for Akrapovic.

The Porsche 996TT and 997TT mufflers are very very restrictive reverse 3 chamber cross flow mufflers and have 4 catalytic converters. That is why all these cars sound like Nuclear vacuum cleaners when bone stock. No sports car sound whatsoever. RUF and others are buying these lousy mufflers for $200 cutting them open and making minor minor changes welding in catalytic converters are Charging a Kings Ransome. The factory stuff is beat. Flane suit on.

The droan you guys are describing is actually called sympathetic resonance and is very difficult to control and takes multiple designs , modeling, testing and technology to eradicate. The Germans, Italians and other Europeans do NOT have a handle on it.

Many European Italian and German exhaust companies claim they have sophisticated European sound and no resonance and with TUV approval and the Unlimited Autobahn you get the very best ! That's the biggest total BS European snobbery fallacy that has been going on for years.

200 cell catalytic converters typically outflow and outlast 100 cell catalytic converters.
Catalytic converters are described in CPSI or cells per square in. Less cells translates into more flow. There is a lot more to it than that as well. I have made videos showing garbage 100 cell cats with numerous steel pins that are cross drilled to stop the cat from imploding.

HJS Germany strongly and actively advises against using 100 cell catalytic converters all the time on late model OBD 2 Euro level 5 cars. HJS Germany advises tuners to use 200 cell catalytic converters.

How does joe Fabiani at Fabspeed Motorsport USA know this as factual? BECAUSE Fabspeed Motorsport is HJS Germany's #2 worlds largest buyer of HJS catalytic converters. I buy the right HJS catalytic converters for these cars from Ferrari F12 (734HP stock on my dyno right now) to the latest McLaren and Porsche 991TT cars. I made numerous Videos showing bogus no name lousy catalytic converters being used on extremely expensive European aftermarket exhaust systems and USA Porsche TT exhausts. It's complete robbery and nonsense especially given the close to $6000 to $11000 some companies are charging.

Fabspeed Motorsport has Sold and private labeled many of our systems to German , Italian and USA tuners . I sold to many of these guys including ANDIAL and big shots in Florida. Typically my systems were shamelessly copied.

Fabspeed Motorsport USA has redesigned many twin turbo exhaust systems and has a 70mm 2.75" system with HJS German 200 cell catalytic converters that adds +35 to late model twin turbo cars and sounds great, is fully polished , and can be offered in several levels of sportscar sound.

Fabspeed Motorsport twin turbo exhaust systems typically make more significant power than other systems and are fully dyno developed with no correction factors.

Our website and videos explain everything in graphic detail and we stand behind our products . Cruise by for a factory tour I show you all around myself. If you can check out our website and you can see videos of our multimillion dollar fabrication operation explaining everything.
I'm flattered with your suggestion Joe but no, I'm just another punter who has used products just like yours only to find they were not what they were cracked up to be. You see that is precisely what motivates me to speak passionately about my particular Europipe EP1 experience....nothing else.

Coming from an engineering/automotive background it is easy for me to make my own observations and report on them. It's a passion of mine actually and I do it in the course of business in my day to day dealing with clients aiding to resolve certain operational issues with certain Automotive products that may prematurely fail or give problem in service.

So, when I see something that is particularly outstanding against what else is available of the market I like to share that. Also, when I hear others say things that are wrong in an engineering or manufacturing sense, and I know they are wrong, then I like to point that out. You see I also don't like to see folks get tricked or conned into believing BS that will cost them money unnecessarily.

But while we are talking here Joe what's the story with the Jims Technology mufflers? And why do you have to say to the members that you make your own mufflers and everything you sell is made in USA when evidently it is not?
You speak of EP needing to redesign their mufflers and their skills secondary to yours but then why is it you get Jims to make yours?

And finally. Talking about German trade shows and the size of one's factory is meaningless to me. Many go to frankfurt, some of us have even had a stand there, and many have factories far larger than yours Joe. Ultimately it is what is in that factory and what goes on inside that factory that is more important.

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I can't argue the engineering with you but I can share first hand experiences - I've had a 2007 997 TT and a 2008 997 TT, and on both I installed EP2 with 100 cell cats. Over 6 years and a combined 50,000 miles I never had a CEL. Neither car was tuned (stock ECU) so I'm not sure of the source of your statement...at least as it applies to me.

I'm sure Joe would love to elaborate to everyone here exactly why the 200 cel is better than a 100 cell particularly in a harsh high performance driving environment. I also love the way he muddies the water for those folk not savvy in engineering by adding the restrictive pins into his indulgent grandiose tale but then conveniently leaves out exactly which AM exhaust manufacturer actually uses that retaining method in their 100 cel cats. Beautiful.

Probably answers for why the Porsche cup cars run the 100 cel HJS emitec cores I guess they either weren't using pins or weren't told about the superior performing 200 cel I suppose.

JB I think the problem Joe has here is that many users and members have tried his systems, junked them off for good reasons and have wound up with the EP and that is burning him up. That's all.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:58 PM
Leo997TT
Banned

Joe,

If Europipe need to redesign their exhaust, you guys should stop producing aftermarket parts...

I had fabspeed exhaust on my car and it was trash... I had it for only 5 days because the sound was obnoxious...

Fwi I had a cel with fabspeed exhaust... I never had a cel with EP.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:54 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by Leo997TT
Joe,

If Europipe need to redesign their exhaust, you guys should stop producing aftermarket parts...

I had fabspeed exhaust on my car and it was trash... I had it for only 5 days because the sound was obnoxious...

Fwi I had a cel with fabspeed exhaust... I never had a cel with EP.
...from my own observations I would safely say period. I'm not even going to go any where near what my dealer has said about their systems. Those words would be far too cruel....if not brutally honest.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:05 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Joe you have pm.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:12 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Bottom line

You guys mentioned fabspeed Motorsport on this thread and now I am in. You started it.

Speed21 with the Weird James Bond halo loves Europipe no matter what"..........it's transparently rediculous.......and he or she likely has a smoking Jacket on and has a cigarette and is drinking couvoisier is completely affected and knows nothing. It's all Eurosnobbery BS.

I remember back in 1985 when I had a 911 3.2 Carrera and wanted a catbypass pipe, sport muffler and dme chip. RUF Germany had a $5400 package that several of my friends all bought Based on RUF Germany Road & Track Magazine hype........it was all Dansk crap . I bought Quality USA made parts and ignore the magnetic BS euro hype.

I have installed and re welded and fixed garbage from all the big name European tuners. Some parts are good but most are relying on naive USA Porsche customers and simple Americans with deep pockets simply assuming that the good stuff must be astronomically expensive and come be developed and exported

Facts are the facts fabspeed Motorsport has sold our parts or sent Demos or has been requested to supply Free samples to car graphic, fvd, tech art, Capristo and others and was often copied.

Bottom line keep an open objective mind on performance parts for these cars and ask for VIDEOS and explanations of any company ....... Look into everything.

Forget romantic and foggy stories of German cottage industry hand crafted exhaust systems made in Bavaria in the Black Forest in which lost OEM Porsche super heavy boat anchor 996TT and 997TT factory mufflers are fixed and upgraded........for $75000 You can't polish a turd.

I will post a Video of the fabspeed Motorsport facility. Fabspeed has some of the same defense quality equipment as Boeing, Grumman, Lockheed Martin , EADS, and BAE.

Fabspeed Motorsport is so well known and respected that you should try have to ask yourself why does fabspeed USA design develop and dyno develop performance exhaust system long Before any European or USA companies ever even get a car despite the fact that the damn car has to travel to the USA.

Customers ship their brand new Mclaren MP4 12c , 991 TT, panamera TT, Ferrari California's, Ferrari 458 , f430 scuderia , Macan twin turbos, Bentley GTC and $500,000 F12 to my company is they realize the parts will be engineered and dyno developed to perfection in a timely manner.

QED
Old 06-21-2014, 11:43 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

I've been to joe's shop and saw the guys building systems, not sure where that comes from to be honest.
I have the utmost respect for joe and fabspeed. They treat you fair before, during and after the sale. I continue to use their 930 parts to this day.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:10 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Joe you have pm.
Hey Chris you do know you can PM someone without the need of posting it up on a thread. Or do you just need to let us all know you have a whisper club going on?

Bottom line

You guys mentioned fabspeed Motorsport on this thread and now I am in. You started it.

Speed21 with the Weird James Bond halo loves Europipe no matter what"..........it's transparently rediculous.......and he or she likely has a smoking Jacket on and has a cigarette and is drinking couvoisier is completely affected and knows nothing. It's all Eurosnobbery BS.

I remember back in 1985 when I had a 911 3.2 Carrera and wanted a catbypass pipe, sport muffler and dme chip. RUF Germany had a $5400 package that several of my friends all bought Based on RUF Germany Road & Track Magazine hype........it was all Dansk crap . I bought Quality USA made parts and ignore the magnetic BS euro hype.

I have installed and re welded and fixed garbage from all the big name European tuners. Some parts are good but most are relying on naive USA Porsche customers and simple Americans with deep pockets simply assuming that the good stuff must be astronomically expensive and come be developed and exported

Facts are the facts fabspeed Motorsport has sold our parts or sent Demos or has been requested to supply Free samples to car graphic, fvd, tech art, Capristo and others and was often copied.

Bottom line keep an open objective mind on performance parts for these cars and ask for VIDEOS and explanations of any company ....... Look into everything.

Forget romantic and foggy stories of German cottage industry hand crafted exhaust systems made in Bavaria in the Black Forest in which lost OEM Porsche super heavy boat anchor 996TT and 997TT factory mufflers are fixed and upgraded........for $75000 You can't polish a turd.

I will post a Video of the fabspeed Motorsport facility. Fabspeed has some of the same defense quality equipment as Boeing, Grumman, Lockheed Martin , EADS, and BAE.

Fabspeed Motorsport is so well known and respected that you should try have to ask yourself why does fabspeed USA design develop and dyno develop performance exhaust system long Before any European or USA companies ever even get a car despite the fact that the damn car has to travel to the USA.

Customers ship their brand new Mclaren MP4 12c , 991 TT, panamera TT, Ferrari California's, Ferrari 458 , f430 scuderia , Macan twin turbos, Bentley GTC and $500,000 F12 to my company is they realize the parts will be engineered and dyno developed to perfection in a timely manner.

QED
You are a bag of laughs Joe. Actually don't smoke by the way....gives you cancer. Scientifically proven didn't you know that?

So anyway getting back to business, enough of the smoke, mirrors, and clever dust storms please. This surely isn't your only marketing opportunity so how about some straight answers to the fair questions being asked. Or is it again going to be "crickets", instead more talk about factories and fancy cars frequenting your shop?

So, again, without sounding repetitious, why does Jim's Taiwan make all your mufflers? And what is it exactly that you actually make in USA? OK, we know you buy HJS cats and Jim's Taiwanese mufflers so what brilliance is really going on inside that factory of yours that you can lay claim to fame? Or is it just the assembly/welding of these two components into a system that will fit the car?

Also, some answers on that flaky 100 cel story you last put forward would be in order as well...I think you made a bold claim there. So far you've had a field day taking pot shots over what's going on in your competitors backyards, dropping bombs on 100 cel cats etc, yet have seemingly forgotten all about your own front yard. I think it is time for some answers.

So, is it answers or crickets Joe? Or, more pms between the surgeon....

Quick Reply: Europipe stage 1 or stage 2?