Sponsored by:

Jaspers Motor Werks sad story !

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 02:13 AM
turbolou
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Jaspers Motor Werks sad story !

Makes me ill to post this but I don't want to see anyone else make the same mistake. Gene Jasper in orange county CA was referred to me by someone in the Porsche club that owned a 996 Turbo. Long story short I contacted a Gene Jasper to do a reflash on my 08 997 TT ECU as soon as I got it back & installed it the car wouldn't start. Returned it & he worked on it some more & it started. Relieved I drove it a short distance to the gym & it again failed to start. It was returned to him after having to remove it in the parking lot. I asked him to reverse what ever it was he did as I was now through & lost my appetite for this sort of thing.So It ran for several thousand miles & recently quit again. I towed it to Porsche & they diagnosed it as a tampered ECU & threatened to void my warranty if I didn't replace it with new. $2,200.00 later my car now runs perfect again.I was fortunate enough to get introduced to Todd Kington of Promotive inc. who was able to repair the ECU & bought it from me at a fair price to take some of the sting out of this story. This was his report to me. I will say this that at least Jaspers motor werks decided not to charge me for damaging my ECU, which doesn't make him dishonest just merely incompetent. Gene thanks for nothing & don't quit you're day job!

After 2 days working on it, I got it going
What a mess..
Crappy flash, bad soldering, they broke the chip.

So, it appears that although it was running, the thing that made it run for
a little bit then fail was the broken leg on the chip. They tried to
solder a blob to the side of it, but it was just touching it, not actually
making a good contact. So, at first when they did it, rather than replacing
the chip, they soldered to it which worked temporarily, then failed after
driving it for a little while.

In the meantime, it appears as though they tried to reflash it and it jammed
up during the flash, on recovery it lost the VIN codes, etc.

Do you have a paypal account? Or send me an address to send out a check.

Thanks for your patience.

Todd Knighton
Protomotive Inc.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Too bad you didn't find the reputable tuner first. Never heard of Jasper.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:36 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 326 Posts

Wait - was it Jasper's own tune or did they install someone else's tune? If so, what tune was it?
Old 02-02-2011, 10:55 PM
turbolou
Instructor

Default Reply

Originally Posted by Land Jet
Too bad you didn't find the reputable tuner first. Never heard of Jasper.
He came recommended buy someone whom I trusted & so it goes.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:57 PM
ScorpionT
Instructor

Gene doesnt do the ECU work, Upsolute does it. That explains the issues.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:28 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Next time: UMW.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:38 PM
turbolou
Instructor

Thumbs down Reply

Originally Posted by ScorpionT
Gene doesnt do the ECU work, Absolute does it. That explains the issues.
Absolute yeah, as in absolute idiots!
Old 02-06-2011, 08:25 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

who cares who does it. The responsibility falls on the tuner the OP went to. If one choses to work with inferior subcontractors he must also bear the responsibility of their failure. Fact of life.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:35 AM
turbolou
Instructor

Default Reply

Originally Posted by dianic
who cares who does it. The responsibility falls on the tuner the OP went to. If one choses to work with inferior subcontractors he must also bear the responsibility of their failure. Fact of life.
No one of sound mind chooses to get screwed. The purpose of this post was to put the word out on a shoddy tuner so no one else has the same experience. Is this not one of the useful purposes of this forum.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:35 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Perhaps it is not a desired one, but it is certainly a useful one...

My point is one that comes from my professional experience and our constant effort to pick our associates and partners with great care, as, at the end of the day, they characterize us... No one of sound mind does it, but a lot of people do it on poor judgement. That is the fact of life I refer to...
Old 02-09-2011, 06:08 PM
turbolou
Instructor

Smile Reply

My point is one that comes from my professional experience and our constant effort to pick our associates and partners with great care, as, at the end of the day, they characterize us... No one of sound mind does it, but a lot of people do it on poor judgment. That is the fact of life I refer to...
I feel rather fortunate to have met another professional & trust that your credibility is better that the last one I trusted who ruined my ECU. He too claimed to be a professional. I guess with my poor judgment of character I can only dream of such self importance.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:26 AM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

Who cares whos tune it is, this has nothing to do with the tune so dont be bashing on Upsolute. Todd clearly stateds that the pin was broke on the chip, thats the installer
Old 02-11-2011, 10:00 AM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

My point is one that comes from my professional experience and our constant effort to pick our associates and partners with great care, as, at the end of the day, they characterize us... No one of sound mind does it, but a lot of people do it on poor judgement. That is the fact of life I refer to...
Could you be more arrogant or condescending???

Last edited by Boeing 717; 02-11-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:38 PM
turbolou
Instructor

Originally Posted by ChristianR
Who cares whos tune it is, this has nothing to do with the tune so dont be bashing on Upsolute. Todd clearly stateds that the pin was broke on the chip, thats the installer
Christian, when you sleep with dogs you get the fleas & your right I have no issue with Absolute not their problem. But if they are credible then they need to put some distance between themselves & anyone that would tarnish their reputation.Although I'm not a Porsche mechanic I have been in the domestic car business for many years. I guard my reputation by dealing with honest vendors. This one time I let my guard down & gave someone the benefit of the doubt. I don't think Jasper's is a crook just over his head experimenting with expensive cars & full of himself. Even though I have many years of automotive experience I wouldn't dream of B.S.ing someone into believing I'm some kind of Porsche expert. They are unique cars & demand complete dedication to the marque & many years experience working under someone that is an expert before you decide to go into business & do a disservice to the public.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:12 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

No, I could not. Could you be realistic and wake up and smell the coffee? I am stating the obvious in my view. And my tolerance for such stuff is exactly zero, like I have been shown from clients of mine, in my previous line of work.

My post was in response to post no 5, where some guy implies that someone else is to blame for the mistake, apparently a subcontractor. If Jasper chose to do work with an inferior subcontractor, then this is the result - public bashing on a well visited forum. So, I state the obvious.
If you were in a similar position and a case involving a subcontractor of yours led to you being bashed for them (publicly or not doesnt matter) how blatant would you be in stating that next time you came across it?

You accuse me of being arrogant and condescending in a post where I explain to the OP why I gave the answer that I did on post #8 with my personal experience? Which he seems to agree with in his answer on post #14? OK noted then. Apologies.

As I do not like to extend such meaningless exchanges and highjacking other people's posts, you are welcome to PM me we can continue this discussion offline.

Quick Reply: Jaspers Motor Werks sad story !