Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Nose lift, CPO, PCNA

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 04:03 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by JB911
Also, I will confirm with the tech if he had to take the coolant pipes out of the way to drop the unit-I asked when I dropped the car off and he said he could probably slide it out(probably by turning it or something to sneak it out)
If that turns out to be the case and it's easier to drop it out we can probably do it ourselves(on a shop lift)

Maybe once people start having to buy all 3 pressure switches to single out which one is the defective one, members could sell off the unused ones to other needy members. Somebody will eventually do this I suppose-
+1 my guess is that its probably the 13bar switch/sensor (at least in my case) ... if the switch on the reservoir failed then the lift would not work at all...
Old 09-26-2016, 02:05 PM
martinkm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Larry - do you know which switch IS the 13 bar switch? I agree this is the most likely culprit, but I can't tell from the PET which one this is.
K
Old 09-26-2016, 02:14 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by martinkm
Larry - do you know which switch IS the 13 bar switch? I agree this is the most likely culprit, but I can't tell from the PET which one this is.
K
I am deducing that all three switches are different because of the diag screen
that we saw in an earlier postwhere a 13bar and 1bar switch were titled.

I wish I did know which was which, my *guess* is that it is one of the two
switches at the front of the unit since those are co-located with the outlets
to the shocks

My *guess* is that the 'lone' switch on the pressure reservoir controls the flow from/to the reservoir and the compressor, so that the compressor can
'fill' the reservoir when low, but when the unit is in operation, the air from
the reservoir flows through the valve block to the shocks

So that leaves the two at the front, one I suspect is the 'system inflated' valve
and the other is the 'system deflated valve ... not sure which is which...

I'd also like to know why one of them changed in mid production of the unit
as indicated by two part #'s depending upon the part # of the complete
unit.

If we had better pictures of the pressure switches we may be able to read some of the information on them to discern which is which
Old 09-26-2016, 04:36 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 308 Posts

And the cheapest part in the whole system, sealing ring (#9) is only $.11 :thumbs:

http://nemiga.com/cat_spares/pet/por...3-2/29/402030/

I suppose if they're leaking the Lift sign will not light up-
Old 09-26-2016, 04:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

And the cheapest part in the whole system, sealing ring (#9) is only $.11 :thumbs:

http://nemiga.com/cat_spares/pet/por...3-2/29/402030/

I suppose if they're leaking the Lift sign will not light up-
yup ...
Old 09-27-2016, 08:57 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

I dropped the car off last Thursday afternoon, so Friday,(I think service works Saturdays till 1PM),Monday and Tuesday, so perhaps the coolant pipes do have to come off, not sure if they went all the way into removing shocks, who knows-

So I guess I'll call tomorrow for an update, maybe extra parts like the lines had to be ordered(?)
What I will ask for is a chance to take close up photos of the old one before it's shipped to Germany-
I'd like to see the pressure switches up close, and perhaps the tech has an opinion on what failed.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:04 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I dropped the car off last Thursday afternoon, so Friday,(I think service works Saturdays till 1PM),Monday and Tuesday, so perhaps the coolant pipes do have to come off, not sure if they went all the way into removing shocks, who knows-

So I guess I'll call tomorrow for an update, maybe extra parts like the lines had to be ordered(?)
What I will ask for is a chance to take close up photos of the old one before it's shipped to Germany-
I'd like to see the pressure switches up close, and perhaps the tech has an opinion on what failed.
hey if you do get a close up of the unit, try and get pictures of the labels of the little black "parts" that sit behind the two pressure switches at the front of the unit ... I think these are the pressure sensors themselves ...
Old 09-27-2016, 11:30 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

let me b bearer of bad news
once fixed it will break again shortly
they all broke on mine
i
ripped them
all
out
Old 09-28-2016, 01:48 AM
bovien
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable

If we had better pictures of the pressure switches we may be able to read some of the information on them to discern which is which
I'lol hopefully have time to throw my car in the lift one of the next days to flush the brake fluid, I'll check the sensor to get better pics

Also, I will confirm with the tech if he had to take the coolant pipes out of the way to drop the unit-I asked when I dropped the car off and he said he could probably slide it out(probably by turning it or something to sneak it out)
If that turns out to be the case and it's easier to drop it out we can probably do it ourselves(on a shop lift)
When I look at my car, I see no way the unit can come past to coolant pipes without violence.
But to my recollection, the pipes was connected to the rest of the cooling system with some kind of a rubber connector. I'm hesitant of messing with it, as I do not know it's functionality and would risk a future leak.

Sadly, until now, no one has chimed in with experience of working on this.
I'll check with Porsche next time I'm there.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:11 AM
JB911
Rennlist Member

If it looks like it doesn't come out without removing the pipes, it might explain why the car has been there for so many days-so i get a coolant flush, I guess...
I will definitely monitor everything, drive the car up to temperature down the street and make sure nothing goes wrong before I get on the highway-
Old 09-28-2016, 05:58 AM
tommye
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to the factory workshop manual, you only need to loosen the coolant pipe attachments and just push the pipes apart to remove the unit.

CheeRS,
Tommy
Old 09-28-2016, 02:15 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
let me b bearer of bad news
once fixed it will break again shortly
they all broke on mine
i
ripped them
all
out
sadly I think you are correct John, I think there is some inherent design or manufacturing problem in the system that results in its repeated failures.

We should figure out what %age of the population of FAL cars have failed...

not that I would expect PAG to do anything about it in terms of solving the problem or recompense ... but...
Old 09-28-2016, 02:56 PM
bovien
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tommye
According to the factory workshop manual, you only need to loosen the coolant pipe attachments and just push the pipes apart to remove the unit.

CheeRS,
Tommy
Very interesting! Can you do a dump of the page? I will try and get to the unit tomorrow to confirm and get some close ups of the sensors
Old 09-29-2016, 05:32 AM
tommye
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bovien
Very interesting! Can you do a dump of the page? I will try and get to the unit tomorrow to confirm and get some close ups of the sensors
pm me your email and I'll send you the pages !
Old 09-29-2016, 04:37 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Spoke to the service advisor and he said the tech requested/ordered more parts-he will call me back with details. What could it be?

Here are some links to the closest thing I've found to workshop manuals on 997 GT3s, CUP but it's interesting, some cooling info:

http://bethnrayndogs.com/car_docs/Po...p_2009_USA.pdf

Other years, etc:

http://bethnrayndogs.com/car_docs/Po...p_car/Cup_man/

Quick Reply: Nose lift, CPO, PCNA