Porsche GT3 had crash at Nurburgring – Video

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 11:37 AM
trev0006
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Porsche GT3 had crash at Nurburgring – Video

From the article:
This Porsche 911 GT3 was the victim of an E36 BMW’s attempt to be cast in a Bond flick when the Bimmer retched its coolant onto the track and caused the rear-engine Porsche to slip and crash into the barrier.Much like a Bond villain after a stealthy attack, the poor Porsche driver didn’t even know what hit him.

Photos and video - Porsche GT3 had crash at Nurburgring

Old 10-13-2015, 12:32 PM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It has to be an awful feeling of impending doom and damage when a driver senses his car going out of control with nothing but hard barriers to stop the car. I have spun many times in my other cars, but always with good run off, and all I had to do was to try to avoid coming back onto the track with my wheels turned to get back to the asphalt. Never spun near aarmco or concrete.

Regretfully this has really hurt the GT3.

When I hear or see of such incidents, or just highway accidents, or when a GT3 is converted to a pure track care, I just wonder how many street GT3's like ours are going to be left in a few years. Had a driver yesterday fail to recognize or accept that he/she (was a big Pickup, i couldn't tell driver) was in the turn lane to my right, me having "pole" position, and as i started across the intersection, the big truck just came right over into my lane to avoid the right turn his truck was supposed to do. Braked, no one behind me, and on he went. I usually try to honk as a warning and lesson when other drivers do things that threaten me, but often I am just amazed at their carelessness or arrogance or stupidity, and fail to alert them to their driving.

Sorry for the GT3's driver's damage and anguish.

All the best....

NV
Old 10-13-2015, 02:19 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 566 Likes on 203 Posts

Been in that same situation in my first 964. The car in front of me dumped all of its coolant at the apex... The feeling is awful and even though it's been 10 years now I still cringe every time I think about it.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:36 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

That really sucks.... :-(
Old 10-13-2015, 03:52 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,988 Likes on 1,772 Posts

Wow, that's terrible.

Looks like to shoe is on the foot, though.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:44 PM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Where exactly was this BMW? I don't see it in the vid. I see the oil patch that caused the problem however. But the the title and vid are very misleading. Seems like they are blaming some phantom BMW. It's not the chase car for sure.

In terms of open lapping, Ferrari events are pretty good. Everyone has similar VAR and no one is trying be a hero. The mix and match events are dangerous IMO. In the advanced group you can have a guy in his wMiata race car (slapped together that week), an over enthusiastic z06 on r comps, an "instructor" with more pca stickers than brains and they all have no clue. Mix it together and there is nothing "advanced" about the run group.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:59 PM
LateBraking
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

At around 0:29-0:30 mark there is a car turning the bend as the GT3 approaches it. No idea what kind of car it was, but I guess it's possible that whatever it was, it dropped some fluid onto the track. Pretty hard to tell from the vid.

Says nothing of the driver, hope he was ok.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:35 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Really hope the driver was ok and that it wasn't anyone here.

Quick Reply: Porsche GT3 had crash at Nurburgring – Video