Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

2010 GT3 CL recall, a NEW recall

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 02:57 PM
GT3.2
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Kent @ premier is awesome. New facility....lots of room....Vegas is the bonus ....
Old 04-21-2013, 05:24 PM
hakaida702
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah everyone knows about Kent here. Lucky we got him. I just don't want to shell out the money for this CL crap. If the real estate market was doing better for me, I probably wouldn't be bitching but with inventory at all time lows, a lot of us are getting hammered in this industry and there's not many jobs I can work from home because I'm virtually disabled with permanent chronic pain. There's people way worse off than me whenever I see them at the doc, but it still doesn't make me feel that much better for getting into an accident that I shouldn't have been in. (I didn't want to leave the house and a girlfriend nagged me over and over to go take her out.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:13 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
So for most people that's, once every 2, 4 and 6 years. For heavy junkie users half that. Seems not too bad compared to the insurance, fuel, brake and tire budget?
It could only be 12 events theoretically. I drove over 360 track miles this w/e at Barber.

I'm starting to realize I should've never bought a six figure, heavy street car to track the hell out of. It's fun but I'd hate to add up all the money LOL. Not quite sure what it would be but I bet there is another car to have as much fun at the track with a lot less operating cost and depreciation and not too much worry about crashing it.

Last edited by paver; 04-21-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:39 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
yes I donr chg upright until year three. the second hub chg.
I only did that once. most cars are gone by then

oh, I never said its fair.
freking Porsche tax is scary.
I plan to track civic soon as a matter of fact!
I suppose thats why I'm somewhat more pissed about it all... For me, she's a keeper... Therefore these costs are not once off but ongoing... Down the track I had budgeted for engine and gearbox refresh as required if I continue track her hard, just not $50-60k AUS for hubs etc just coz Porsche can't get their **** together with the whole CL deal...
Old 04-22-2013, 11:42 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by paver
Not quite sure what it would be but I bet there is another car to have as much fun at the track with a lot less operating cost and depreciation and not too much worry about crashing it.
996 GT3
Old 04-23-2013, 04:27 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

They all time out eventually and Porsche is understandably very cautious.

This is preventative maintenance, forced by the defects in some GT3's that came to light with track use, the defective parts were replaced by Posrche.
The new schedule is for track use only and no different than 5 lug wheels hub / CUP preventative maintence.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:25 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

It could only be 12 events theoretically. I drove over 360 track miles this w/e at Barber.

I'm starting to realize I should've never bought a six figure, heavy street car to track the hell out of. It's fun but I'd hate to add up all the money LOL. Not quite sure what it would be but I bet there is another car to have as much fun at the track with a lot less operating cost and depreciation and not too much worry about crashing it.
Yes, tell me what it is please. M3- too heavy, Z06 slightly less money, maybe? What else...

Otherwise, just suck up the maintenance costs. Thoroughbreds are never cheap to buy or to keep...
Old 04-23-2013, 06:33 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
Yes, tell me what it is please. M3- too heavy, Z06 slightly less money, maybe? What else...

Otherwise, just suck up the maintenance costs. Thoroughbreds are never cheap to buy or to keep...
yep
modded m3
modded z06
are the only CAR alternative
SRF, mono, DSR, CSR are not CARS in my mind.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:42 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

We can bitch all we want, but new, fresh covered in warranty, the only potential alternative to a daily drive DE 997 GT3 is the new 991Gt3, Viper and upcoming Corvette and they are all unproven and they are plenty expensive as well, except the Z51 Corvette, that's a bargain if it stays under 65K
Old 04-23-2013, 10:13 PM
medpilot105
Instructor

I drove over 360 track miles this w/e at Barber.
Holy crap! I never get that much mileage on a two day weekend. Lucky you!
Old 04-23-2013, 10:34 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by montoya

Maybe it wouldn't be as quick as a 997.2 GT3 and maybe it's older so maintenance could be a lot higher than new cars like ours. Maybe that maintenance takes the place of our depreciation.
I only have one year of tracking experience. Most of you know a lot more about these things than I do. I love the GT3 but I think it's for irrational reasons.

Originally Posted by medpilot105
Holy crap! I never get that much mileage on a two day weekend. Lucky you!
Chin Motorsports gives each run group 4 sessions. Then at the end of each day there is happy hour free for all. Drive till you run out of gas. So, 10 sessions per w/e if you want them.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:15 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Maybe it wouldn't be as quick as a 997.2 GT3 and maybe it's older so maintenance could be a lot higher than new cars like ours. Maybe that maintenance takes the place of our depreciation.
I only have one year of tracking experience. Most of you know a lot more about these things than I do. I love the GT3 but I think it's for irrational reasons.
No, not irrational. It's one of the few cars with this level of power to weight where "most" of its mechanical items out of the box are ready to run on the track. We complain about the items that wear, but most cars in this league cannot run 10 laps at speed without cooking something- brakes, tires, transmission etc. You can reduce the power to weight and go with something cheaper and maybe just as fun, or you can go racing in any number of spec classes where the mods are limited as are the costs. Otherwise, the GT3 for the track is the "rational", mostly ready, and fast choice.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:28 AM
almeena58
Racer

Chin Motorsports gives each run group 4 sessions. Then at the end of each day there is happy hour free for all. Drive till you run out of gas. So, 10 sessions per w/e if you want them.
which model you have and what tires you install that can be fine during this long track use and what about your brakes ware they new or no and after the track how was the CL.

i am planning for a long track day on 4th May and my front brakes are 80% and rear 50% with new PS2 and engine oil will be changed but not full, 2 of 3 bars in oil indicator
Old 04-24-2013, 08:11 AM
paver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by almeena58
which model you have and what tires you install that can be fine during this long track use and what about your brakes ware they new or no and after the track how was the CL.

i am planning for a long track day on 4th May and my front brakes are 80% and rear 50% with new PS2 and engine oil will be changed but not full, 2 of 3 bars in oil indicator
Almeena, I have a 992.2 GT3. I have been using Michelin Super SPorts. I try to wear them out but they won't die. I guess they last forever. I use brembo type lll front rotors. PFC 08 pads. I started the weekend with less than a 1/4" of pad. Thought I would have to change them during the weekend, but they are still on and have at least a day or two left. CL were fine as they always have been for me. Only lost a dust cap
Old 04-24-2013, 09:02 AM
almeena58
Racer

Almeena, I have a 992.2 GT3. I have been using Michelin Super SPorts. I try to wear them out but they won't die. I guess they last forever. I use brembo type lll front rotors. PFC 08 pads. I started the weekend with less than a 1/4" of pad. Thought I would have to change them during the weekend, but they are still on and have at least a day or two left. CL were fine as they always have been for me. Only lost a dust cap
Thanks paver, well done

Quick Reply: 2010 GT3 CL recall, a NEW recall