OEM GT3 Cup autoblipper DIY

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 03:47 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile OEM GT3 Cup autoblipper DIY

OK, after putting it off for several months I finally got off my lazy rear end and install the Porsche autoblipper. Initially I was dreading this DIY. My experience tells me that it will take several days of cursing and bending every which ways to get it done. I was pleasantly surprised that it only took me 2 hours and it works like a charm! .... Thank God!

OK, here is what you get when you order the Porsche autoblipper from PMNA. $1500 will give you all the sequential shift housing, cable, blipper Assembly and pulleys with instruction in German and very bad English ... I thought my English was bad

Take your doors off and free up the interior for easy access

Release the throttle cable from the gas pedal and the body of the car by first removing the pin at the end of the cable

Open the throttle cable tensioner case and release then end of the cable then remove the throttle cable

Comparison of the throttle cables. Autoblipper cable have the middle part exposed for the blipper rollers

Now disconnect the sequential shifter position sensor, release the shifter cable pin at the end and remove the shifter cable holder on top of the shifter cable

Release the reverse lever cable then loosen the 4 nuts from base of shift assembly

Now your Cup car looks great without the sequential shifter assembly ... let's install a paddle shifter on the steering wheel instead lol

Here is what the sequential shifter look like on it's own. The new shifter housing has the holes drill out to accept the autoblipper roller assembly.

OK, now let's transfer everything from the sequential shifter assembly to the new housing

The sequential shifter can double as a police baton lol

Install the new end of the shifter cable which has a pulley that roll the autoblipper assembly when you push the throttle forward which pulls on the throttle cable and blip the throttle when you down shift

Install the new sequential shifter assembly back on the car then route the shifter cable through the autoblipper assembly as instructed. It is very intuitive and if you mess it up Porsche will increase your P-car tax by 20%

Now install the roller on the end of the throttle cable and secure everything down.

You will have to adjust the ends of the new throttle cable to make sure it will give you 100% throttle when the gas pedal is fully depressed and hit the gas pedal stop. Do not over do on the travel of the throttle cable or it will create too much tension on the cable itself and sometimes damage the throttle butterfly valve on the engine. Make sure there are not too much knick on the cable since it will make the cable stick.

Now you can slide the autoblipper assembly for and aft on the sequential housing to change the throttle blip %. Most people says you really can't get enough throttle blip but I like mine around 36%-38%. The max you can get is around 40% - 42%. I will demonstrate the autoblipper adjustment and check on the Motec system by video below:

Driving impression? FANTASTIC! Now the car will blip the throttle on it's own and one less thing for me to worry about. On draw back is that it will blip the throttle regardless of car speed and also at reverse. Best to turn off the car then shift into reverse or your friends will think you are nuts blipping the throttle trying to back out. Here is a in car video demonstrating how the autoblipper function on the track. Please excuse my poor driving. I have not been on the track for almost 5 months and took it really easy ... at least that's my excuse

Cheers

Mike

Old 02-13-2012, 04:44 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the DIY, now if I can only get a sequential shift transmission into my car.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:47 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NorthVan
Thanks for the DIY, now if I can only get a sequential shift transmission into my car.
You never know when that day may come
Old 02-13-2012, 04:51 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mikymu
You never know when that day may come
True, as I was watching your video I thought, I really want a cup car!

Now where did my lottery ticket go?
Old 02-13-2012, 04:54 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

True, as I was watching your video I thought, I really want a cup car!

Now where did my lottery ticket go?
lol

Lottery ticket not needed. You can get a 7.1 Cup in great shape at much less than $90K now days and change your perception on speed forever
Old 02-13-2012, 05:00 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Another masterpiece DIY thread

Funny video LOL.
Driver of the upside down car ok?
Old 02-13-2012, 05:05 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mikymu
lol

Lottery ticket not needed. You can get a 7.1 Cup in great shape at much less than $90K now days and change your perception on speed forever
I know, but to get it past my wife, I would need a lot of money. I would need to move south and keep her accustom to her new lifestyle
Old 02-13-2012, 06:07 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Another masterpiece DIY thread

Funny video LOL.
Driver of the upside down car ok?
Thanks

The driver had no roll bar and no harness. He is still counting is lucky stars to walk away with some minor cuts and aches. His car clip T8's hill - one of the most dangerous turn at Thunderhill - and roll violently 4+ times for 50+ feet. Very very luck ... but you can't count on luck every time

I know, but to get it past my wife, I would need a lot of money. I would need to move south and keep her accustom to her new lifestyle
Tell your wife GT3 Cup is much safer ... that's how I sell it to my wife
Old 02-13-2012, 08:25 PM
DarkSideEwok
Instructor

why do you call it p1? its an hpde?

also, why do you speed out of the pits so fast?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:28 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Awesome, Mikymu! Those purple gloves are MAGIC!!!

No, about those lines of yours... ahem... surely you need a passenger seat in that beast so professor Lar can YELL at you! LOL
Old 02-13-2012, 08:49 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DarkSideEwok
why do you call it p1? its an hpde?

also, why do you speed out of the pits so fast?
It's chrono series with NCRC - a timed event. They want us to fire off the line

http://www.chronoseries.com/

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Awesome, Mikymu! Those purple gloves are MAGIC!!!

No, about those lines of yours... ahem... surely you need a passenger seat in that beast so professor Lar can YELL at you! LOL
Man! after not driving for almost 5 months it feels like I have to learn to walk all over again. Almost everyone on the tract felt the effect since most of us sat out since last September. I was breaking early, turn in too quick and had to short shift at T15 due to denser air and pop sound limit by 2 db. Yes, I need you to yell at me ... always helps

You know I do have three OMP HTE seats ....
Old 02-13-2012, 09:29 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

Hate to imagine if car had just a harness bar like Brey Krause and used harnesses- u be uprite thru whole rollover. With a crushed roof like that it woulda had a yellow tarp covering driver side- ugh. Mike
Old 02-13-2012, 09:40 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fantastic write up!

I only hope that I need this info some day
Old 02-14-2012, 01:55 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Hate to imagine if car had just a harness bar like Brey Krause and used harnesses- u be uprite thru whole rollover. With a crushed roof like that it woulda had a yellow tarp covering driver side- ugh. Mike
Safety equipment in a inadequately prepped car equals death trap. He is very very luck to be not hurt in this incident

Originally Posted by MarkD
fantastic write up!

I only hope that I need this info some day
You never know ... it may be very useful soon
Old 02-14-2012, 02:00 AM
TNetworks
Advanced

Mike,
Great to meet you Saturday. Didn't realize you got 'er dirty on T1. Man, that guy was lucky with the rollover. While I was bummed my next session was bumped due to clean up, I was pretty happy to head home early and fully intact. See ya next time.
-Peter

Quick Reply: OEM GT3 Cup autoblipper DIY