Sponsored by:

997.1 Carrera 4S

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 10:10 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,755 Likes on 4,298 Posts

Yup, my opinion and the consensus is you should be leaving your office chair and buying this car. Full Leather is the only thing on my must have list though as the tops of the door panels and dash in leather makes a big difference (to me at least) in the quality feel of the interior. Anything else (wheels, brakes, tires, seats, trim) can all be changed out over time to something you like better, but this should be a $40-$42k car so it's underpriced and if you wait on it, you'll miss it.

Don't worry at all about N-spec tires. I've never run them on any of my cars. My tire of choice on my 911s and my 928 are Nitto Invos. Unless you're driving at 8/10ths on the street, you'll never feel the difference between a tire like this and say a Michelin Pilot Supersport, and honestly, there are probably 20 people on this board that can even drive a 911 at 8/10ths or above, and I'm not one of them. If you want to see what that looks like here's a video link for you -

I can get 2 sets of Invos for 1 set of Michelins. The wet and dry grip is exceptional, the tread pattern is cool looking, ride and noise are good. They do fine in high speed mountain runs, pretty heavy rain at 75 MPH+, etc.

On my wife's 997 we run Hankook Ventus Evo2s and she got 18,000 miles out of her last set of rears. It's her DD and she rarely pushes the car so it's not worth a big tire expense for the way she uses it. The directional tread pattern of those is great even in heavy rain and the dry grip is just fine. They're about the same price as the Invos, but her rear tire life on the Hankooks was 80% better than on the softer Nittos.

Anyway, buy the car, don't worry about the tires, and go enjoy it!
Old 02-23-2017, 01:50 PM
Derek Zoolander
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by voiceprint1
I will just say, initially I was not crazy about the stone grey interior, but over time I barely notice it, and it hides dirt better somehow better then black which constantly shows dirt and fingerprints (not that my car has any).
Good price, but stone grey standard interior is a deal breaker IMO.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:50 PM
Gene K
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914

Don't worry at all about N-spec tires... Unless you're driving at 8/10ths on the street...and honestly, there are probably 20 people on this board that can even drive a 911 at 8/10ths or above, and I'm not one of them. If you want to see what that looks like here's a video link for you - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv3zIYlXn2A
Honestly, I'm not sure what that is. Very sloppy apexes, intentionally induced oversteer with hand motions and scrubbing way to much speed. My instructors would kick my butt.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:37 PM
Gene K
AutoX

I actually started out this Odyssey looking at a low option leftover 2016 981 Cayman S.

But you can buy such nice well loved used Porsches on the market it just makes since to get more for less.

The only thing really holding me up is that Stone Grey interior and lack of full leather.

I came of age during the era when it seemed all cars had gray interiors (blah) and on most colors I tend to prefer contrasting interiors even going as far as once owning a blue car with lipstick red interior.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:18 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Great price... BUY IT, if it meets your "personal preference" in terms of color combo, must-have features. Leather interior is nice, but not must-have.

Now, if you PERSONALLY do NOT like the Grey interior, do NOT BUY it. Pay $2-3K more and find the ideal car for you. You can never change interior color afterwards so it must truly match your preference.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:03 PM
NorthCoastDoug
Instructor

I still kick myself for passing up this 07 targa 4s manual with 45k miles for $39,500. Had all the options i wanted except sport exhaust and full leather, which weren't deal breakers. At the time, folks on here suggested i go for it, but i hesitated. Somebody else bought it, and I haven't found a comparable deal since. The car your looking at seems like a fair deal, so if it checks all the boxes for you and you're in the right place financially, I'd go for it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ight-blue.html
Old 02-24-2017, 07:05 PM
Greyghost230
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was looking at a similar 07 with 47K. When I drove it, it seemed like it was difficult to get into 1st gear coming up to the stop sign. Could that be a problem with the synchro, or is this common to have hesitation and resistance to get into 1st until you hit lower speed?
Sorry to hijack OP.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:39 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 393 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Greyghost230
I was looking at a similar 07 with 47K. When I drove it, it seemed like it was difficult to get into 1st gear coming up to the stop sign. Could that be a problem with the synchro, or is this common to have hesitation and resistance to get into 1st until you hit lower speed?
Sorry to hijack OP.
Common in my experience.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:13 AM
Gene K
AutoX

Originally Posted by Petza914
...honestly, there are probably 20 people on this board that can even drive a 911 at 8/10ths or above, and I'm not one of them. If you want to see what that looks like here's a video link for you - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv3zIYlXn2A
This is my definition of 10/10's.

Of course a GT3 R doesn't exactly qualify as a road car.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:25 PM
NorthCoastDoug
Instructor

Originally Posted by NorthCoastDoug
I still kick myself for passing up this 07 targa 4s manual with 45k miles for $39,500. Had all the options i wanted except sport exhaust and full leather, which weren't deal breakers. At the time, folks on here suggested i go for it, but i hesitated. Somebody else bought it, and I haven't found a comparable deal since. The car your looking at seems like a fair deal, so if it checks all the boxes for you and you're in the right place financially, I'd go for it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ight-blue.html
Speak of the devil... here's the car i almost bought off Craigslist for $39,500 that I mentioned above, for sale at a dealer for $48,888.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...modelCode1=911

Old 03-02-2017, 03:44 PM
Ditchhanger
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Damn! I thought I overpaid on myone-owner 2006 C4S with almost 16k miles. I paid $46k last July and it has PSE, sport chrono, full leather and a bunch of TechArt goodies. Seeing that ad above makes me feel I didn't get too raped.

To the OP, like everyone has said, you can either wait for what you really want or jump on this. The only thing I see missing is the full leather that can't be added on later. I love the widebody of the C4S and would not swap it for a narrowbody one at all.

Quick Reply: 997.1 Carrera 4S