Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cargraphic front lift kit - anyone have this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 04:39 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
I appreciate you sharing your experience with the cargraphic kit.
However, I respectfully disagree about the reliability of a t-tap connection. The t-tap will either partially sever or crush the existing wire, which is exactly the opposite of what I would want to do with a critical line. It is also debatable whether soldering is superior to crimping in the automotive environment. Electrically it's better, mechanically, it's not. I really wish the umbrella kit wasn't so big.
I usually use crimp connectors when doing automotive wire work and I use the waterproof ones where you use a heat gun to shrink the coating down onto the wire. Not only does this keep contaminants & water out of the connection, but it also lightly bonds the connector to the wires on both sides, making the splice more durable and lessening the risk of it coming apart over time.

When I need to attach to a wire that I don't want to cut, I use one of the tap methods - either the kind that go around the wire with the other one in the connector next to it and the blade is squeezed through both using a plier or the one that locks onto the wire and then the additional wire receives a male blade connector that plugs in. I've had good luck with both and I usually use some liquid electrical tape to seal up the ends where the splice is attached onto the wires.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:46 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Alright, you win, Pete. I'll be ordering the cargraphic kit. I still hate the idea of tapping the ABS wiring, though.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:55 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Alright, you win, Pete. I'll be ordering the cargraphic kit. I still hate the idea of tapping the ABS wiring, though.
Wait, what do I win?

Also, just wanted to make sure that you're aware you need Bilstein coilovers or GT3 front suspension for the AirLift to be compatible, at least I think you do.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:55 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Cargraphic airlift kit went in today - well sorta. It doesn't work. The shop and I quadruple-checked all the electrical connections, verified +12V, and the pump works independently - but the remote control doesn't turn on the compressor.

Any ideas?
Old 03-29-2017, 12:08 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Cargraphic airlift kit went in today - well sorta. It doesn't work. The shop and I quadruple-checked all the electrical connections, verified +12V, and the pump works independently - but the remote control doesn't turn on the compressor.

Any ideas?
It's been a few years, but this comes to mind off the top of my head.
  1. Play around with the mutli-socket electrical plug that goes into the AirLift control brain. Mine was a little loose and unless I put the plug under tension, wouldn't work.
  2. I also assume you're using the handheld remote that came with the kit and not the button that replaces one of your Homelink buttons. I bought that kit but couldn't get it to work either, and am just using the handheld remote.
  3. I think there may be dip switches in both the remote and the brain that have to be set the same for the 2 to communicate.
  4. Is there a battery in the remote and is it a good battery? Any chance it has one of those plastic tabs keeping it fresh that hasn't been removed?
  5. Are you trying to use the spare tire compressor that came with the car or an upgraded external one - I'm using the external one and have it connected via and SPDT relay. Control box sends the signal to the relay and relay supplies power directly from the battery to the external compressor.

I attached a couple PDFs that might give you some help or provide some insight - one is the standard installation manual, but the other was for programming the roof console switch.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:53 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Originally Posted by Petza914
It's been a few years, but this comes to mind off the top of my head.
  1. Play around with the mutli-socket electrical plug that goes into the AirLift control brain. Mine was a little loose and unless I put the plug under tension, wouldn't work.
  1. [*]
  2. [*]
  3. [*]
  4. [*]
I'm using the cargraphic upgrade compressor. I tested that it works fine when hooked up to 12V by itself.

I attached a couple PDFs that might give you some help or provide some insight - one is the standard installation manual, but the other was for programming the roof console switch.
Thanks, I appreciate that. Mine is a slightly newer version and they sent me updated instructions (the electronics module looks different).

As an update, we completely removed the electronics from the car, and I powered it using a bench 12V power supply (the type used to power a car continuously for a flash upgrade). It still doesn't work. The electronics module does not want to apply a voltage to the compressor relay for any reason.

I'm kind of bummed. I hope cargraphic steps up and doesn't jerk me around.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:09 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I'm hoping they do too. Should come with a warranty I presume since you bought it new from them. I have a couple contacts there I can look up if you need.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:31 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Things are not going well. Cargraphic is based in Germany, and due to the time difference, I only get maybe 1 email response a day. We're getting nowhere. Apparently, there's no US distributor? And the online retailer I purchased from is providing 0 help.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:16 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Who did you purchase it from?
Old 04-01-2017, 01:55 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Who did you purchase it from?
Vivid Racing
Old 04-05-2017, 11:59 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Vivid Racing
Looks like they've stopped returning emails altogether.

I bet the cargraphics lift kit is great (when it works), but buyer beware - you'll probably get ZERO support if anything stops working and be left with a $4000 set of useless parts.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:37 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Looks like they've stopped returning emails altogether.

I bet the cargraphics lift kit is great (when it works), but buyer beware - you'll probably get ZERO support if anything stops working and be left with a $4000 set of useless parts.
I have some e-mail addresses for contacts at cargrphic, but won't post them here. If you send me an e-mail to petza914@gmail.com I will give you the 3 contacts with e-mail addresses I have. I would contact them directly, explain the situation and see if they can provide you some direct support.

Sports Car Boutique was another authorized cargraphic dealer and I think Mike at RSS carries some of their products as well, as I bought my Cayenne Sport Muffler system from him.

Pete
Old 04-05-2017, 02:12 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

I have some e-mail addresses for contacts at cargrphic, but won't post them here. If you send me an e-mail to petza914@gmail.com I will give you the 3 contacts with e-mail addresses I have. I would contact them directly, explain the situation and see if they can provide you some direct support.

Sports Car Boutique was another authorized cargraphic dealer and I think Mike at RSS carries some of their products as well, as I bought my Cayenne Sport Muffler system from him.

Pete
Thanks Pete, you rock. I'll reach out to you separately.
It looks like after a few days, Cargraphic just replied back, telling me to check my fuse (because that's not the first thing I checked) and a couple other things...but crossing my fingers.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:38 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks Pete, you rock. I'll reach out to you separately.
It looks like after a few days, Cargraphic just replied back, telling me to check my fuse (because that's not the first thing I checked) and a couple other things...but crossing my fingers.
Just checking back in on this to see if you got the kit working and your opinion of it.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:56 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

I shipped the control module back to Cargraphic a few days ago. We'll see what they do.

Quick Reply: cargraphic front lift kit - anyone have this?