Tan interior trim repair?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 02:10 AM
guitargice
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tan interior trim repair?

Hey all,

I have an '05 Carrera S with tan interior. The tan trim has nicks around the seatbelt and ignition rosette revealing the black plastic underneath. I'd like to touch it up somehow - has anyone had success in doing this?

Also, around the pcm buttons the black is coming off revealing white underneath - pretty ugly. Any suggestions here would be very welcome as well.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-21-2009, 02:49 AM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Here is one link:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...06-c2-cab.html
Old 10-21-2009, 11:58 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

I had the same issue with my last M-B, and I know others who have it with late-model Bimmers, Audis and VWs. Seems to be a trend with German makes in the last 7-8 years. My sand-beige 05 interior is chock full of the soft-painted parts and there are a few nicks. I'm thinking about getting some flat model paint and mixing some to match, to use as a touch-up. Eventually if it gets ratty enough I'll have to have a trim shop repaint the parts. I'm certain the dealer did that at least to the console before I bought it...problem is, once the paint has started to deteriorate, it really needs to be stripped before repainting. Painting over it is just throwing good money down the drain.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:04 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

The slush finishes are quite poor. If you elect to go with a full leather interior many of those pieces are no longer an issue.

For very minor touching up I went down to a model aircraft store and bought a couple of shades of tan/brown. Mixed up a small batch to touch up things here and there. Seems to work. (The concours inspectors never caught it!)

20-20 hind sight. The only thing I would have ordered (now in retrospect) would be the Makassar seatbelt opening on the B pillar (cabriolet). That would take more abuse, than that lousy plastic.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:40 PM
guitargice
6th Gear

Hey Dan,
Thanks for the tip! I'll try that. Here's a pic so you can see what I mean (I thought I had full leather)
Old 10-22-2009, 09:01 PM
royalpar1
Instructor

Question Trim Pieces

20-20 hind sight. The only thing I would have ordered (now in retrospect) would be the Makassar seatbelt opening on the B pillar (cabriolet). That would take more abuse, than that lousy plastic.[/QUOTE]

I have taken my car to Champion who feels they can touch up all the crummy rubber paint. I am out of warrantee, but if it can be touched up, i am ok with that.

I was looking to see if i could buy the seatbelt opening piece but cannot find it. do you know if it can be purchased as a aftermarket and where can i find it?

Thanks
Old 10-22-2009, 09:15 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

I have the makkasar seat belt option...it did not help. The seat belt buckle has dinged and nicked the leather directly below really bad. Now I release the belt and hold it to let it retract slowly.
Attached Images  
Old 10-22-2009, 09:49 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I got a little bit worn off from trying to get something really big in the back seat one time! You have to really be gentle with these cars. I'm lucky because I don't have kids or stuff like that to trash it. "Full Leather" is a serious misnomer at Porsche. They have restricted it considerably from when full meant full.

Recent photos:
Attached Images    
Old 10-23-2009, 01:42 AM
guitargice
6th Gear

Hi Dan - thanks for the pics (very nice btw) - my interior is basically identical to yours, I think yours might be slightly darker, but I might be wrong.

After I posted the question about the trim yesterday, I went for a cup of coffee.. when I got back to my car there was a 7 inch crack in my windshield. Safelite says they can't repair it... time for a new windshield. I guess my trim repairs will have to wait for now... :/
Old 10-23-2009, 10:26 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by royalpar1

I have taken my car to Champion who feels they can touch up all the crummy rubber paint. I am out of warrantee, but if it can be touched up, i am ok with that.
There's a shop in Boca called "The Stitcher" who does great upholstery and interior restoration and a lot of shops farm out to them. I had them do a dye job on my M-B steering wheel a couple years ago and it has held up well. Cost me half what the M-B dealer wanted, and I suspect they were going to farm it out.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:01 AM
TooSixy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by guitargice
After I posted the question about the trim yesterday, I went for a cup of coffee.. when I got back to my car there was a 7 inch crack in my windshield. Safelite says they can't repair it... time for a new windshield. I guess my trim repairs will have to wait for now... :/
How did the crack happen?
Old 10-23-2009, 11:45 AM
guitargice
6th Gear

Originally Posted by TooSixy
How did the crack happen?
Not really sure. There is a definite impact point right on the very edge of my windshield, but I don't remember hitting debris while driving. Who knows. Either way, there was no crack when I left my car, but when I got back, there it was. Might have been a ding that "spider"-ed when I shut the door?

By the way, the paint on that car is suh-weet.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:10 PM
Sadiq
Pro

these ashtrays are a joke. porsche tysons says they won't replace my peeling sand biege ashtray under warranty. anyone else have experience with this piece?
Old 10-23-2009, 08:00 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sadiq
these ashtrays are a joke. porsche tysons says they won't replace my peeling sand biege ashtray under warranty. anyone else have experience with this piece?
I guess they decided to draw the line. I'm glad that area is leather on mine. I can see how easily it could get worn out.
Attached Images  
Old 10-24-2009, 02:03 AM
Sadiq
Pro

it's kind of absurd for it to wear out when i don't use it though :-/

Quick Reply: Tan interior trim repair?