Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stigma of owning/driving a 997...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 05:17 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Thank you all, catching a 6am flight to go checkout this car, and if all goes well, will be driving it back 12hrs, red eye, before going back to work!
Old 07-19-2009, 08:00 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Grow a sac my man......buy what YOU want, as you must be working hard and doing well, so enjoy life.

If not, at least you're under 25 still, so you can always go back and live with your parents, and that will really make you paranoid.....!

Last edited by cole328; 07-19-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:28 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cole328
Grow a sac my man......but what YOU want, as you must be working hard and doing well, so enjoy life.

If not, at least you're under 25 still, so you can always go back and live with your parents, and that will really make you paranoid.....!
under 35 ... 25 is a few years gone!
Old 07-19-2009, 11:21 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Thank you all, catching a 6am flight to go checkout this car, and if all goes well, will be driving it back 12hrs, red eye, before going back to work!
Make sure you do a PPI with a qualified shop/tech.

Pre
Purchase
Inspection
Old 07-19-2009, 02:16 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the advice from everyone.

My question was not if I am making the right decision buying an expensive car! IF I don't buy the Porsche, my next option is a used Audi RS4, which is 50-60K as well. The main question is, if people think of you differently driving a Porsche, while an Audi can COST THE SAME!

The answer seems to be yes! and it seems like I gotto have a second car (maybe keep the S4) for chores, driving around town, or when I do not want to get ppl jealous...
Dude, what's wrong with you?
Go buy the damn car and drive the **** out of it!
Second car mandatory? Ridiculous!
Old 07-19-2009, 03:23 PM
plymouthcolt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's your money drive want you want.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:20 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by kdurg
Well said and should'nt be interpreted as an attack on the OP.

Most of the people I know who drive Porsche could give a **** about what people think. Nor should you.

Anyone who gives you **** about driving a 911 is merely jealous and doesn't have the ***** to admit it. It's really that simple.

Buy the car and post up your pics. The 4S is a beautiful machine. Good Luck !
no, not well said. its a silly generalization that banks and mortgage companies created this mess.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:00 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^^ Focus now---my original comment was related to whether those who had MBAs had the ability or lack thereof to manage finances. Nothing more.

Keep the thread on track or take it elsewhere.

ALEX---glad to hear you're pulling the trigger on the 4S. Hope it all works in your favor. Let us know the results so we can partake in your excitement.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:49 PM
Jerry Fisher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

forget about it. Its their problem, not yours. You are paying for it so enjoy the fact that you have chosen to own/drive a great automobile.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:31 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kdurg
^^^^ Focus now---my original comment was related to whether those who had MBAs had the ability or lack thereof to manage finances. Nothing more.

Keep the thread on track or take it elsewhere.

ALEX---glad to hear you're pulling the trigger on the 4S. Hope it all works in your favor. Let us know the results so we can partake in your excitement.
Thanks... I am just flying back after checking out the car.

Super nice, Meteor Gray, with Alcantara steering wheel/grear shift. Black standard interior with power seats, and Nav.

The car was great, drove awesome, only 10K miles, under CPO, and apart from a few scratches here or there, looks mint.

TWO MISSING FEATURES [for me]:
1. Sport seats: I track the car, so not sure how the regular seats will keep me tight during hard cornering. albeit I am 6'2, 205 pounds, so not like a small person sliding all the over
2. No Bose!... this kills me! I absolutely HATED the standard audio system. It's an ABSOLUTE SHAME Porsche would put such a CRAPPY sound system in a $100K car. It's a JOKE, was distorting at any high volume! Not that Bose is anything Audiphile, but from what I've heard it was decent. Maybe a basic sound system is OK for base Boxster, but COME ON, for a C4S... Bose (or better) must come standard.

Seats can be changed easily if I need to, BUT from what I know, upgrading the audio is not easy and cost prohibitive... so, I am kinda bummed out a bit, would have loved to just be done with it... but still gotto see what else can I find, or put up with the audio, and find a way to upgrade it cheaply.

Any feedback anyone?
Old 07-20-2009, 02:08 AM
medtech
Drifting

Thanks... I am just flying back after checking out the car.

Super nice, Meteor Gray, with Alcantara steering wheel/grear shift. Black standard interior with power seats, and Nav.

The car was great, drove awesome, only 10K miles, under CPO, and apart from a few scratches here or there, looks mint.

TWO MISSING FEATURES [for me]:
1. Sport seats: I track the car, so not sure how the regular seats will keep me tight during hard cornering. albeit I am 6'2, 205 pounds, so not like a small person sliding all the over
2. No Bose!... this kills me! I absolutely HATED the standard audio system. It's an ABSOLUTE SHAME Porsche would put such a CRAPPY sound system in a $100K car. It's a JOKE, was distorting at any high volume! Not that Bose is anything Audiphile, but from what I've heard it was decent. Maybe a basic sound system is OK for base Boxster, but COME ON, for a C4S... Bose (or better) must come standard.

Seats can be changed easily if I need to, BUT from what I know, upgrading the audio is not easy and cost prohibitive... so, I am kinda bummed out a bit, would have loved to just be done with it... but still gotto see what else can I find, or put up with the audio, and find a way to upgrade it cheaply.

Any feedback anyone?
No BOSE is a good thing! What year is this car?
Anyway, the BOSE MOST amp IS the problem. Without it you could put an aftermarket head unit in without a problem. WITH it, you have to rip out the whole damn system.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:38 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by medtech
No BOSE is a good thing! What year is this car?
Anyway, the BOSE MOST amp IS the problem. Without it you could put an aftermarket head unit in without a problem. WITH it, you have to rip out the whole damn system.
I don't wanna change headunit, wanna keep the looks stock.

So, with non-Bose, is it easy/hard to add an amp to pre-out and swap speakers?

Thnx
Old 07-20-2009, 08:12 AM
dD/dt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a chance to get a good line of credit that allows me to afford a Porsche 911 finally... been researching for a nice 997 C4S (the car I want)... and have narrowed it down to two cars (2006 models).

Not sure how people actually may think of one who's driving a Porsche 911... specially since I cannot really afford to goto 5-star restaurants, spend zillions on entertainment, or wear Armani suits... just another young manager working in hi-tech.
First, welcome to the forum.

Second, I'm part of the vocal minority on here who thinks that financing or leasing an indulgence like this is a really bad idea. Not all of us have money falling out of unmentionable orifices (but if we did, wouldn't you think that maybe it's because we do smart things with cars?). In my case, this is why I don't own a p-car just yet. I'm cruising a 2006 BMW, and hold the title. Likewise I own the Toyota ouright, and next month, after writing one more big check, the Acura.

In the next month or two, I will probably steer some funds to a used S or a new C2. And get the car and the title at the same time. If you're single at 31, and no kids, it won't be as big a deal if the wheels come off and the car gets repo'd. Nobody ever thinks it's going to happen to them. The only failsafe is some amount of liquid cash, and a minimum debt load. Whether to buy or lease is another discussion. But either way, incurring risk on a depreciating asset is really not a smart idea.

Best of luck!
Old 07-20-2009, 01:16 PM
medtech
Drifting

I don't wanna change headunit, wanna keep the looks stock.

So, with non-Bose, is it easy/hard to add an amp to pre-out and swap speakers?

Thnx
Non-BOSE, and no MOST amp (aka the fiberoptic amp from hell) = easy to do whatever you want.

BTW, I don't think you'll be too attached to that head unit after you spend a week with it. It's a POS and changing out speakers and amp without putting in a better headunit would be a waste of time/money IMO.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:54 PM
roadrat
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

I used to consider my 911 a squished beetle. i suspect thats a lot more accurate today.

Quick Reply: Stigma of owning/driving a 997...