Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have Satellite Radio in my 997 C4S Cab!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 01:11 PM
BOUCS5
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of you who have already had it installed, how long did it take and how much did the stereo shops charge to install it???? I spoke to my dealer and they said they would have to look into more. I just wanna make sure they don't charge me too much.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:11 PM
avenchia
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me, the part was $1600 and the labor was 4 hours at $85 per hour ($340). Thus, the pre-tax total was $1940.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:43 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

I have forwarded the info to my dealer and they indicate that Porsche may be looking into this soon, but everyone knows how stubborn it can be.

Look at it this way, the revenue lost from not having this avalible is one thing they have to look at. Even if it was done at a dealership, they too are loosing revenue from parts that are avalible.

We need to stress to Porsche that THIS is what we want! When can we expect it? Which cars can be retrofit to have this done.

I hope that by time my car goes into production, they approve the dealership to change these units.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 02-01-2006, 04:53 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1080iAddict
All systems go. I ordered the parts this morning. ETA for parts is one week.

My tech privately tells me there is no reason this should not work. Also, the 997 will, in-fact, require a hook-up to PIWIS once the components are installed. This is required on the Cayenne so the 997 should be no different. We did not discuss PCM 2.1A vs. PCM 2.1B, but rather he said it needs the hook-up and we left it at that. I only hope the PCWIS will not care if its a Cayenne or a 997, such that PCM 2.1 simply talks to PCM 2.1.

And get this: Apparently I am told the new sat antenna replaces the old navigation antenna (on the 997, under the wiper assembly). Apparently, the new antenna is a combined GPS and sat radio antenna, i.e., it has three leads instead of one lead. In other words, it will simply mount in the same spot as the old antenna so one does not need to have two separate antennas with interference implications. Or so I am told (apperently this is how it works on the Cayenne).

Worst realistic case: This will not work. I am not worried about damaging the car as I can simply pull the components out. Tech confirms this - "it wont blow anything up if you try and fail". If it does not work, I am out the less than $1000 for the parts, which I can immediately re-sell to a Cayenne owner.

SO, as they say on the space shuttle: "We are go at throttle up".
Cool - PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE take lots of step by step pictures so we can see what you did. There's no way in hell I'd pay $2000 for this, but if I could buy the parts and do it for half myself I'd consider it.

Besides, I've found that step by step pictures are great for figuring out how in the hell to put everything back the way it was when you are done. It also helps for when you are done and have everything closed up and discover that extra screw!
Old 02-01-2006, 05:06 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

2nd...praying for success!
Old 02-01-2006, 05:46 PM
aaoun
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

two GPS antennas creating interference? I've done it MANY times without problem

on the other hand, much cooler to have a combined one :-)
Old 02-02-2006, 03:12 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Update: Parts expected to arrive in customs by Monday, so I likely will not have the parts until later next week.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:19 PM
aaoun
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

g'luck
Old 02-02-2006, 03:27 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Update: Parts expected to arrive in customs by Monday, so I likely will not have the parts until later next week.
Tip: try and be a bit careful with the MOST fiber when doing the install....it gets a bit cramped back there. It really doesn't like to be bent AT ALL.
Also a good idea to put a small piece of low tack masking tape over the MOST termination, to avoid scratching/contamination of the surface.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:07 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Thanks. I did notice in the TSB it says do not bend more than 25mm. The trick is going to be gaining access to the existing antenna. This resides under the plastic assembly beneath the wipers. Anyone wanna help me figure out how to gain access to this antenna? Do I need to remove the wipers? It looks as if there is a 'cap' at each end of that assembly. Do I remove the cap to get to the screws? A TSB on removing this piece would be quite helpful.

Keep in mind... I do plan on getting some 'help' on the side. But if I can truly do this myself, aside from the PIWIS part, I would love to do that. But I need to figure out how to gain access to the antenna.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:19 AM
rjmaclean
Track Day

Originally Posted by avenchia
For me, the part was $1600 and the labor was 4 hours at $85 per hour ($340). Thus, the pre-tax total was $1940.
Avenchia: I am having an intermittent problem of the system locking up on the channel I had on when I shut off the car. I have to shut the system, the car, open the car door and then restart the car. I have emailed Scott at La Jolla about it.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:32 AM
avenchia
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you mean that when you turn the car off on a particular station, when you start the car up again it is "stuck" on that channel and can't be changed until you turn the car off and open the door and start up again?

I haven't experienced this problem. Mine has been working well. I've had reception problems, but it is about the same as the system in my Lexus (no reception when driving in underpasses or in my garage, but these are obvious problems with sat radio).

I'm sure the guys there will help you though. When talking to them prior to my install, they seem to understand that for $2000, they need to make sure it works!
Old 02-03-2006, 10:34 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

This question is for both rjmaclean and avenchia,

A few posts down, I started as post titled "A neat trick: Ascertaining your PCM Version". It only takes a second to perform the trick. Could I convince each of you to determine whether you have PCM 2.1, PCM 2.1A or PCM 2.1B? This could be related to rjmaclean's issue (or not). The PCM version can likely be updated, but one step at a time.

If its not related to the PCM version, rjmaclean....it might be a faulty sat module that can easily be replaced if avenchia has no issues.

- Adam
Old 02-03-2006, 12:42 PM
rjmaclean
Track Day

This question is for both rjmaclean and avenchia,

A few posts down, I started as post titled "A neat trick: Ascertaining your PCM Version". It only takes a second to perform the trick. Could I convince each of you to determine whether you have PCM 2.1, PCM 2.1A or PCM 2.1B? This could be related to rjmaclean's issue (or not). The PCM version can likely be updated, but one step at a time.

If its not related to the PCM version, rjmaclean....it might be a faulty sat module that can easily be replaced if avenchia has no issues.

- Adam
I have 2.1B

My '06 C2S wasa shipped Oct. '05
Old 02-03-2006, 01:36 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Thanks rjmaclean. So I guess it is not a PCM version issue.

I am willing to bet that you have a defective / intermittant sat radio module or, even more possible, the MOST fiber connection is dirty or loose. I very much doubt that its a compatibility issue. Please let us know what happens when you follow up with your installer.

Quick Reply: I have Satellite Radio in my 997 C4S Cab!