Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have Satellite Radio in my 997 C4S Cab!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 01:54 AM
jfraser
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1080i
The pre MP3 PCM's also run PCM2.1......There are 2 different versions of the software, model level A (before April 05) and model level B. It is possible to upgrade to Level B, but if you have navigation you would also need to buy the more up to date dvd (the one that has zipcode search) as the older navigation DVD doesn't work with the Level B update. (I say it's possible but the TSB's on this contradict one another, so who knows!) I must confess I know nothing about the original PCM units that were missing the SOS button and sim card drawer...I don't know what version of the SW they ran, or their upgradeability

Following Lewis's comment I suspect that the Level B software is able to see the SAT radio from the get go, whereas Level A probably can't (Lewis do you think it would be able to with some help from the PIWIS...would this be accomplished by making sure that the Sat radio position in the MOST Actual list and MOST Required list correspond to one another).....This could explain why the guy from La Jolla audio was unable to get the SAT radio to work on a 997 with a production month of 11/04(this would have been the Level A software).......I think this was right about the time that Porsche switched to the PCM's with the SOS and sim drawer

Finally Adam, the PIWIS system basically looks like a standard PC on a trolley.....it connects to the car under the dash and takes about 30 secs to connect up and pull info from the car....I'm intimately familiar with the procedure from my numerous 'pit stops' to clear the dreaded system fault message.....

Last edited by jfraser; 01-30-2006 at 02:15 AM.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:52 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The new cayennes probably have level B, no? The TSB for the dealer Cayenne install talks about the MOST Actual and MOST Required settings via the PIWIS list and, based on the publication date on that TSB, which is quite new (4 months old), I am assuming this is why I think the 997 will need the PIWIS hook-up also. But I guess its possible that the PIWIS settings only need be changed for pre level B cars. I will find out more today and advise.

I suppose it doesn't matter, i.e., PIWIS, so long as if it does need the hook up, it works on the PCM level instead of the model line of car. This later part is my only remaining concern.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:32 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

All systems go. I ordered the parts this morning. ETA for parts is one week.

My tech privately tells me there is no reason this should not work. Also, the 997 will, in-fact, require a hook-up to PIWIS once the components are installed. This is required on the Cayenne so the 997 should be no different. We did not discuss PCM 2.1A vs. PCM 2.1B, but rather he said it needs the hook-up and we left it at that. I only hope the PCWIS will not care if its a Cayenne or a 997, such that PCM 2.1 simply talks to PCM 2.1.

And get this: Apparently I am told the new sat antenna replaces the old navigation antenna (on the 997, under the wiper assembly). Apparently, the new antenna is a combined GPS and sat radio antenna, i.e., it has three leads instead of one lead. In other words, it will simply mount in the same spot as the old antenna so one does not need to have two separate antennas with interference implications. Or so I am told (apperently this is how it works on the Cayenne).

Worst realistic case: This will not work. I am not worried about damaging the car as I can simply pull the components out. Tech confirms this - "it wont blow anything up if you try and fail". If it does not work, I am out the less than $1000 for the parts, which I can immediately re-sell to a Cayenne owner.

SO, as they say on the space shuttle: "We are go at throttle up".
Old 01-30-2006, 11:54 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Let's hope your attempt doesn't meet the same fate as Challenger.
Originally Posted by 1080iAddict
My tech privately tells me there is no reason this should not work. ... Worst realistic case: This will not work. I am not worried about damaging the car as I can simply pull the components out. Tech confirms this - "it wont blow anything up if you try and fail". If it does not work, I am out the less than $1000 for the parts, which I can immediately re-sell to a Cayenne owner.
But seriously, Adam, why not wait until the exact procedure is known? ... Before risking some irreversible damage and wasting a lot of time and money?
Old 01-30-2006, 11:55 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OCBen
Let's hope your attempt doesn't meet the same fate as Challenger.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:04 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

I suppose this is the one good thing about being a waiter,--it may all be sorted out before I get my car!

Dan
Old 01-30-2006, 02:07 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Guys: http://www.germanautoforums.com/m_7277/tm.htm ... I have NOT purchased this (OCBen!) and can only relate my preliminary info, but have talked to the designer. A new version is imminent. The current and new version work with Level A PCM as well as the newer Level B. It is possible that the unit can be sent to ESP (outside Cleveland) and returned for more local installation. I am NOT recommending this, only sharing my info. The beauty of the approach is that it includes iPod and Sat radio and Bluetooth. BTW, a 997 without Nav is the most straight-forward of the 955/997 fixes, apparently. Cost is $1,995.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:58 PM
tcetta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1080iAddict
The 2006 997 has PCM 2.1

So far the momentum continues.

Sorry to jump inot the post like this, Can you tell me what the 05 997 has and what is the production date that changes this. I am looking to buy a used 997 and have not been able to find a list of what the trade offs are from buying an 05 over an 06.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:23 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Someone with greater knowledge on this subject than I will need to answer this (the above post).
Old 01-30-2006, 08:00 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jfraser
1080i
The pre MP3 PCM's also run PCM2.1......There are 2 different versions of the software, model level A (before April 05) and model level B. It is possible to upgrade to Level B, but if you have navigation you would also need to buy the more up to date dvd (the one that has zipcode search) as the older navigation DVD doesn't work with the Level B update. (I say it's possible but the TSB's on this contradict one another, so who knows!) I must confess I know nothing about the original PCM units that were missing the SOS button and sim card drawer...I don't know what version of the SW they ran, or their upgradeability

Following Lewis's comment I suspect that the Level B software is able to see the SAT radio from the get go, whereas Level A probably can't (Lewis do you think it would be able to with some help from the PIWIS...would this be accomplished by making sure that the Sat radio position in the MOST Actual list and MOST Required list correspond to one another).....This could explain why the guy from La Jolla audio was unable to get the SAT radio to work on a 997 with a production month of 11/04(this would have been the Level A software).......I think this was right about the time that Porsche switched to the PCM's with the SOS and sim drawer

Finally Adam, the PIWIS system basically looks like a standard PC on a trolley.....it connects to the car under the dash and takes about 30 secs to connect up and pull info from the car....I'm intimately familiar with the procedure from my numerous 'pit stops' to clear the dreaded system fault message.....
jfraser,
my wife raises Saint Bernards and she loves the dog in your avatar.
Most Actual vs Most Required should line up, as it's likely driven by the physical location of the devices on the MOST ring (dictated by fiber routing) and IIRC, PAG did it the same on the two vehicles to help with integration; but that was on the 9x6 family, not the 9x7....can't see why they would hvae changed it.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:58 PM
jfraser
Instructor

Hi Lewis....we corresponded last year about Mini the St. Bernard, and you gave me some info on hooking up a bluetooth phone kit to the PCM, and possibilities of ipod connectivity...fast forward 1 year & still no ipod hookup :-(

1080i FWIW I admire your pioneering spirit regarding the Sat Radio install.....Go for it!! (I think it's gonna work)

Lewis....here's the original photo of Mini, me, my wife and the glorious Matterhorn in the background. Mini wears sunglasses when its really sunny on the slopes....definately made me do a double take coming off the chair lift
Old 01-30-2006, 11:50 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Thank you, now I remember.
Sorry about the iPod delay.....PAG tends to march at their own pace I'm afraid. It's coming, just not fast enough for everybody.

After seeing the full size picture, my wife is now asking 'when are you taking some time off from work so we can go to Switzerland?".
Great, now I'm off to Google to read up on importing dog procedures.......apparently 4 Saint Bernards drooling all over my car covers isn't enough.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:43 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

jfraser, thanks for the support! By the way, back in law school I did a semester abroad and after the studies, traveled europe and visited Zermatt. I did in-fact ski the Matterhorn - in July! It was a sheet of ice and I cracked a pole!
Old 01-31-2006, 05:18 AM
faterikcartman
Advanced

FYI, Becker says the inability to easily hook up an iPod or Sat to their MOST head units is not their fault--they claim they made it just the way Porsche wanted it and would have added the aux in options if asked.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by faterikcartman
FYI, Becker says the inability to easily hook up an iPod or Sat to their MOST head units is not their fault--they claim they made it just the way Porsche wanted it and would have added the aux in options if asked.
Yes, perhaps. BMW MOST headunits control the iPod directly from the headunit, independent of MOST.
PAG has apparently decided to put the iPod on the MOST ring directly (no idea why, but whatever).....it's coming, be patient.

Quick Reply: I have Satellite Radio in my 997 C4S Cab!