Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deal of the century???

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 11:25 PM
docboy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Odd... my research showed that 997.1tt has possible cam shaft issues and that 996tt do not suffer from this problem.

I'm curious as why this shop decides to replace cam shaft actuators when the valve lift is stuck?
Old 02-13-2017, 12:05 AM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by docboy
Odd... my research showed that 997.1tt has possible cam shaft issues and that 996tt do not suffer from this problem.

I'm curious as why this shop decides to replace cam shaft actuators when the valve lift is stuck?
Unfortunately the 996TT has also a camshaft failure possibility. A bit different than the 997TT but also related to oil pressure actuation. See post#12 of this thread:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...code-help.html

About the fact the shop is looking at cam shaft actuator, in the aviation we call that shotgun troubleshooting. You replace every parts until you fix the snag
Old 02-13-2017, 02:36 AM
uwrasta
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by T10Chris
Looking at that parts list, they are replacing the variocam timing actuators (PN# 99610530371). Not the variocam lift actuators (these would be PN# 99610530172). The variocam timing actuators are on top of the cylinder heads, the lift actuators are in the spark plug valley.

The fault specifically calls out valve lift...oh boy. doesn't seem like this shop knows what is going on. If you get it, good thing you have a 2nd 996TT to pull parts from to replace the issues this one may have

I'm not saying not to get it, just hope you know how to/like to work on these cars.
Originally Posted by docboy

This is why:
text from owner:

insurance inspector approved the lifters. Joe also told me the actuators could use replacing. Not a "need to have" but he said I should take care of it since the engine is out. I agreed to replace the two actuators as well. This way, the issue won't bite you down the road. They are looking to finish everything by Friday. so...in excited to get the car back. I'm honestly craving to drive it
Old 02-13-2017, 03:01 AM
uwrasta
Banned

Originally Posted by jeanmarcboilard
Could be a $30, $300, or $3000 fix. The only way I'm betting $32k on an unsorted car like that is if Markski, Sam, or Kevin is doing the PPI. Might be a good deal for a professional DIYer but it's still a gamble.
I'm interested to hear the outcome on this one.

unsorted cause the shop replaced lifters and 2 actuators???? let's assume the problem goes away. Oil change, Plugs, coilpacks, fuel pump, filter, injectors, alternator and clutch have been replaced in last 5000 miles.
ya that's pretty unsorted. "maybe" if they'd dropped a new motor in it then it would be well sorted in your mind???!!!

For goodness sake the thing's had a comprehensive warranty for the last 30000 miles. Maybe he just ran it with the CEL for the last 30000 miles cause he didn't want to waste the shops time and thought he could just sell it to someone else and not deal with any issues.
He's put 10000 miles per year on it in the last 3 years. a couple of warranty claims and regular maintenance. what more is a person supposed to do!!!!!

I have experience with 2 of the 3 people you mention and they are wizards but there are more than 3 people on this earth that can do a proper PPI.

No wait- maybe we should ship it back to the factory and have them refurbish the whole car. Oh no that wouldn't do unless sam, kevin or markski was there to make sure they were doing it right.

so say it is a 3000 dollar fix. then id have a 35000 dollar x50

I just saw a 2003 that sold last month with 79000 miles for 50000. great color combo
but even if i put 10 into this 2004 I'd be at 42000 which is what a "well sorted" x50 is more likely to go for this spring summer. (likely more)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272516584549?rmvSB=true

i do appreciate everyones concern and advice. As I stated before I'm going to drive it for 100 miles or so. have cantrell do a ppi and armed with the info I'll make a decision.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:41 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

uwrasta, since the engine has to come out, you may want to suggest him having the coolant lines pinned or welded. Then offer to add the cost of that to the price that you have agreed upon. It's a perfect inexpensive "while you've got the motor out" thing to do and peace of mind as well. But if it hasn't already been done and you have to drop the motor to do it, it becomes expensive as you have to drop the motor to reach them all.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:58 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

you're right not to be "alarmed" and you're doing all due diligence. it's not a friggin spacehip just discovered and the sky isn't falling though you wouldnt know to hear chicken little tell it.

i'd wager that after figuring out these last cpl remaining "issues", you'll have a very good car at a great price.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:10 AM
uwrasta
Banned

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
uwrasta, since the engine has to come out, you may want to suggest him having the coolant lines pinned or welded. Then offer to add the cost of that to the price that you have agreed upon. It's a perfect inexpensive "while you've got the motor out" thing to do and peace of mind as well. But if it hasn't already been done and you have to drop the motor to do it, it becomes expensive as you have to drop the motor to reach them all.
Believe me I asked!!! I just didn't want to pay for a pin and then have the ppi come back a reject. If it comes down to it it will be a good opportunity to learn to drop!!!! Also I respect sambo's opinion. He told me to just drive the damn thing and worry about it if it happens.

I'm also waiting to hear from a shop in Canada for a pin quote. I had my 993 top end and clutch done there. I asked if they could drop and I could be there to learn. Still waiting to hear back. That might be a great opportunity to get a detailed diy w/photos from start to finish to start. Told him he could throw me in the pacific if the car fell on me.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:48 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,591 Likes on 1,640 Posts

Originally Posted by uwrasta
Believe me I asked!!! I just didn't want to pay for a pin and then have the ppi come back a reject. If it comes down to it it will be a good opportunity to learn to drop!!!! Also I respect sambo's opinion. He told me to just drive the damn thing and worry about it if it happens.

I'm also waiting to hear from a shop in Canada for a pin quote. I had my 993 top end and clutch done there. I asked if they could drop and I could be there to learn. Still waiting to hear back. That might be a great opportunity to get a detailed diy w/photos from start to finish to start. Told him he could throw me in the pacific if the car fell on me.
If you do not intend to track the car there is no rush to pin or weld the pipes. Do when convenient, if ever.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:52 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

as in "if ever necessary". exactly.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:57 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Yes, remove the heat shield. The bracket is right there In between the spark plugs. Two 10mm bolts hold in place.

If the brackets are fine there is a way to bench test the solenoids. I have not a bench test but I think some others here have. Maybe someone will chime in with that procedure.

Are you getting any codes?
Even if bench test them, they can be bad and still "work" as in you can tell they are doing something when receive signal. I'm sure there is some method to measure things to determine that the actuator isn't "actuating" enough, but I could not figure it out especially with an intermittent problem.

If anyone has these issues and codes and lets say for example- it is misfires on bank 1, and the bracket isn't broken, swap the valve lift actuators from one bank to the other and see if the codes follow to the other bank. Pain in the *** way to test if it is fully functional, but if the codes move you know which actuator is bad.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:09 AM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I know the PPi isn't today but I hope they do get that car sorted out and you get a good deal. Keep us informed.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:47 PM
uwrasta
Banned

Originally Posted by jeanmarcboilard
I know the PPi isn't today but I hope they do get that car sorted out and you get a good deal. Keep us informed.
Ya it's still at the shop. They are finishing up on lifters. Next Thursday should be they day. I will let ya all know what I find out.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:44 AM
PaleAle
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
If you do not intend to track the car there is no rush to pin or weld the pipes. Do when convenient, if ever.
My rear coolant fitting failed on a city street. I recommend you get them pinned/welded while the engine is out.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:49 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,591 Likes on 1,640 Posts

Originally Posted by PaleAle
My rear coolant fitting failed on a city street. I recommend you get them pinned/welded while the engine is out.
Did it cause a dangerous loss of control?
Old 02-17-2017, 10:17 AM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PaleAle
I agree I don't think there is a correlation between where and how you drive it. My first one popped going to the grocery store idling along in 4th gear 45mph before it was ever tracked and it was a one owner, highly maintained car.

Quick Reply: Deal of the century???