Opinion on negotiation

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 11:10 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
You are not buying this car so why should he care?
Because some people value opinions expressed on this forum.

Why did you make something up about his first post?? Or did you not actually understand what he wrote?
Old 10-24-2016, 11:52 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,591 Likes on 1,640 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
Because some people value opinions expressed on this forum.

Why did you make something up about his first post?? Or did you not actually understand what he wrote?
He obviously doesn't care what you think. And he didn't ask.

And I didn't make anything up and in his first post I interpreted it exactly as he meant it.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:53 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Atrox
2. Park place looks at used cars as a burden.
That is a good thing if you are a used car buyer. Just look at the great deal the OP is getting on what appears to be a fantastic car.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:21 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 263 Posts

Good luck! You are getting the best color
Old 10-24-2016, 12:29 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

He obviously doesn't care what you think.
1. How do you know?

2. It doesn't matter what he thinks. I offered my opinion. He's not the only person who reads posts in this thread (hence the "some people" in my post above).

And he didn't ask.
He doesn't have to ask. Don't you get it?? This is a discussion forum...

And I didn't make anything up and in his first post I interpreted it exactly as he meant it.
You used the words "he stated". Do you understand what "stated" means??

The OP makes no mention whatsoever of an independent PPI in his first post here. It really can't be any clearer. If you can't wrap you mind around this, then there isn't anything more I can do to help you.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:46 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

1. How do you know?

2. It doesn't matter what he thinks. I offered my opinion. He's not the only person who reads posts in this thread (hence the "some people" in my post above).

The OP makes no mention whatsoever of an independent PPI in his first post here. It really can't be any clearer. If you can't wrap you mind around this, then there isn't anything more I can do to help you.
The OP's stated goal of this thread was assistance in negotiations. Not assistance in a verification of the car. Your opinion on firsthand inspection is meaningless in that context.

He mentions a PPI in his first post. By definition a PPI is a third-party inspection of the car.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:56 PM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

PPI is defined as a "pre-purchase inspection".
There's no part of that that says third party. Except in your mind...

Keep digging.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:18 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan A

Keep digging.
Okay you got me.

A PPI could also be performed by the buyer if that person was knowledgable enough and had access to proper facilities and equipment to do so. But since in this case the OP's intent was always for a third a party PPI I am correct in this instance anyway.

Dig it?
Old 10-24-2016, 04:28 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The OP's stated goal of this thread was assistance in negotiations.
Including when a PPI would be done.

He mentions a PPI in his first post.
Right. See my reply immediately above in this post...

By definition a PPI is a third-party inspection of the car.
No it's not.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:40 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

But since in this case the OP's intent was always for a third a party PPI I am correct in this instance anyway.
But you are not correct in stating that with regard to independently verifying: "He stated that intent in his first post".

This is very straight forward.

If I were you I'd either drop it, or admit your error...but personally I wouldn't bet any money on you doing either.

Here's my suggestion: if you want to discuss this any further with me, do so via PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:57 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

What is a PPI ??
Old 10-25-2016, 10:47 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Don't feel special - I'm usually way more condescending and sarcastic. I was trying to be nice because I figured you had comprehension issues.

I'm reasonably literate. English is my first language, so I usually can manage to parse a couple of paragraphs without too much trouble.

I went back to the first post and nowhere is the word independent used. In fact the whole thing makes the dealer sound shady IMO.

So before you make yourself look like an even bigger retard than you just have, I suggest that you go get a dictionary and a thesaurus and start over by actually reading what he posted, because I do not think his words mean what you think they mean.
He obviously doesn't care what you think. And he didn't ask.

1. How do you know?

The OP's stated goal of this thread was assistance in negotiations. Not assistance in a verification of the car. Your opinion on firsthand inspection is meaningless in that context.

He mentions a PPI in his first post. By definition a PPI is a third-party inspection of the car.

Keep digging.
Okay you got me.

A PPI could also be performed by the buyer if that person was knowledgable enough and had access to proper facilities and equipment to do so. But since in this case the OP's intent was always for a third a party PPI I am correct in this instance anyway.

Dig it?
Including when a PPI would be done.

Right. See my reply immediately above in this post...

No it's not.
But you are not correct in stating that with regard to independently verifying: "He stated that intent in his first post".

This is very straight forward.

If I were you I'd either drop it, or admit your error...but personally I wouldn't bet any money on you doing either.

Here's my suggestion: if you want to discuss this any further with me, do so via PM.
The OP stated at the outset that he was a long-distance buyer and that he wanted to have a PPI done, so the intent of an independent PPI was made clear to me. Nowhere did the OP state that he was qualified to perform his own PPI, so this means that the PPI should be done by an independent party.

Put another way, Carlo_Carrera is correct in stating that a PPI is done by a third-party individual (unless the buyer is a qualified mechanic, an assertion that the OP did not make). This means that, normally, a PPI is not done by a buyer nor, as in this case, is it done by the dealer in the form of an "inspection report on the car from when it was traded-in". Sorry, a trade-in report is not a PPI since it was not conducted on behalf of that particular buyer and for that particular buyer's best interests.

Moreover, at least here on Rennlist, a buyer can ask another Rennlister to perform a RennFax on a car. This means a local Rennlister will look at a car and possibly drive it. This is not a PPI and was never intended to be. No leakdown or compression tests are done, no borescoping is performed to check for cylinder scoring, etc. Even if the OP had intended to fly to Texas to look at the car, I would never equate that viewing with a PPI.

A quick Google search shows that most non-vendor websites that mention or explain what a PPI is almost always state that a qualified mechanic look at the vehicle.

I'm not sure why some of you are so argumentative but that needs to stop.

I did.

You stated "...they will not do a PPI unless there is a deposit on the car. I prefer to have an agreed upon price first then do the PPI." In the sequence of events stated, they (the deaer) do the PPI after there is a deposit, and you prefer to have an agreed upon price before they do the PPI. You do not state that you intend to have an independent PPI done, and as a matter of logic, by stating that you prefer a different order than the dealer (price prior to PPI, versus deposit prior to dealer PPI) you imply that the deaer would be doing the PPI in either case.
No. The OP does not imply in the slightest that the dealer will be doing the PPI. You are misreading/misinterpreting his words.

Here is Brig's first post for reference:

Originally Posted by Brig993
So I made an offer on a 03' 996tt...this is not a pricing question as that has been asked before but more of how to handle an issue with the salesperson/dealer. After the second counter offer we reached an impasse. The sales person simply replied it's not going to happen, period. I asked to the sales person to please bring it to management again and sales person was unresponsive.

I'm a long distance buyer and they will not do a PPI unless there is a deposit on the car. I prefer to have an agreed upon price first then do the PPI. I have transport costs and the car needs new tires immediately (2008 tire dates). It just had an an annual service which was completed by the selling dealer.

Question is should I attempt to contact another sales person or the sales manager? Or keep trying to deal with an unresponsive sales person or wait to see if it sits and try to come back in in a week or two?
Old 10-25-2016, 11:00 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by cbracerx
Good luck! You are getting the best color
Chris - I thought this car was silver, not Guards Red. I think you're looking at the car on the right when the one he's interested in is the car on the left.
But who can blame you, eh?

Oh, and Brig - welcome to the 996 Turbo forum. I'm sure that if we haven't scared you off already, you'll think twice before you ask for an opinion here again.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:48 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
No. The OP does not imply in the slightest that the dealer will be doing the PPI. You are misreading/misinterpreting his words.
Since you brought it up again...

The OP stated "...they will not do a PPI unless there is a deposit on the car". This is very straight forward English. The "they" is the dealer. What is it "they" will not do ("do" means "perform", as in "do some work") before the deposit? The PPI. It isn't "have someone else do", or "allow the buyer to have done independently", it is "they will not do (read "perform") a PPI".

Quick Reply: Opinion on negotiation