Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Ordered Dave's eRam Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 09:13 PM
mark_schnell
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the detailed review! I purchased mine recently, but I've been procrastinating about installing them.

Edit - just found the instructions email
Old 03-10-2017, 04:36 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mark_schnell
Thanks for the detailed review! I purchased mine recently, but I've been procrastinating about installing them.

Edit - just found the instructions email
standing by should you have any questions.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:08 PM
TxnBluDvl
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
standing by should you have any questions.
Dave -- love the idea of this kit but really reticent to cut anything on the car. Any idea of a way to do this without cutting the harness? Or a way to buy some spare harness as a sacrificial donor so everything can be put back to stock without splicing?
Old 10-28-2017, 11:22 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TxnBluDvl
Dave -- love the idea of this kit but really reticent to cut anything on the car. Any idea of a way to do this without cutting the harness? Or a way to buy some spare harness as a sacrificial donor so everything can be put back to stock without splicing?
Interestingly, Porsche had to splice the ends onto the hydraulic motor wires. If you look at the loom, there are a couple of layers of shrink wrap. So yes, the microswitch wires need to be cut, but they could be resoldered and covered with shrinkwrap, and nobody would realize it. Of course another loom could be purchased. But I am pretty sure nobody will ever go back to the hydraulics once they install the eRams. I do encourage customers to keep the hydraulics for a future owner, for peace of mind. But going back won't happen.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:25 PM
TxnBluDvl
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Interestingly, Porsche had to splice the ends onto the hydraulic motor wires. If you look at the loom, there are a couple of layers of shrink wrap. So yes, the microswitch wires need to be cut, but they could be resoldered and covered with shrinkwrap, and nobody would realize it. Of course another loom could be purchased. But I am pretty sure nobody will ever go back to the hydraulics once they install the eRams. I do encourage customers to keep the hydraulics for a future owner, for peace of mind. But going back won't happen.
Thanks, Dave -- that's super helpful. Just to see what replacement cost would be, any chance you have the part number for the loom for a 997.1TT? Knowing I can put everything back to stock is really my final hurdle.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:52 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TxnBluDvl
Thanks, Dave -- that's super helpful. Just to see what replacement cost would be, any chance you have the part number for the loom for a 997.1TT? Knowing I can put everything back to stock is really my final hurdle.
Googled it and found three sources (Part Number: 99762267101 ; 99762267100; 997-622-671-00); one, two and three.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:24 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Pretty sure even the Porsche factory service manual instructions have you cut / splice to replace the microswitch.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:51 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by manimal
Pretty sure even the Porsche factory service manual instructions have you cut / splice to replace the microswitch.
Exactly right, per service bulletin 66 85 19

(btw oddly my college dorm suite-mate went by manimal...)
Old 10-31-2017, 05:53 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

(btw oddly my college dorm suite-mate went by manimal...)
You're an engineer, right? Then I don't find that at all hard to believe.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:39 AM
Drinaldis
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey, trying to do a super clean eRam install and I’m not into crimp-on t-taps. In order to sleeve the connection I need to extract a pin from the o2 sensor harness. This is on the chassis side of the harness, right side of the engine covered in gray sleeve material. Anyone know the part number of the pin extraction tool? Can I do it without the tool?

thanks in advance,
Old 01-23-2018, 04:41 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

If able, do post pictures, would like to add as alternative.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:32 AM
Drinaldis
Rennlist Member

If able, do post pictures, would like to add as alternative.
Indeed
Old 01-23-2018, 12:43 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Drinaldis
Hey, trying to do a super clean eRam install and I’m not into crimp-on t-taps. In order to sleeve the connection I need to extract a pin from the o2 sensor harness. This is on the chassis side of the harness, right side of the engine covered in gray sleeve material. Anyone know the part number of the pin extraction tool? Can I do it without the tool?

thanks in advance,
Check out http://www.dennisvogel.com/heatedseats/. I think he has a section where he talks about the pin tool. It's also just a fun read if you're into wiring.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:21 PM
Drinaldis
Rennlist Member

Instruction 12.e. Regarding installing the pin permanently into the wing. This step calls for putting a lot of pressure on a big flathead screwdriver to compress three rubber O-rings to permanently install the pins in the wing. Instead of putting the wing on the floor, I put the wing on my couch to make it easier. Also, I used a couch pillow to put over the end of the screwdriver, then put my chest on top of the pillow to put all of my weight into it. This could be a bear to get done, but by having lots of downforce on the screwdriver handle, it wasn't too bad.
This step is NOT for the faint-hearted. I'm in process and waiting to hear the crackle as the bushing breaks from the wing.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:33 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Drinaldis
This step is NOT for the faint-hearted. I'm in process and waiting to hear the crackle as the bushing breaks from the wing.
200 or so 996 Turbo eRam kits installed so far without a glitch. This would be the same procedure as the OEM hydraulic rams being fastened back into the wing.

Dave

Last edited by DaveCarrera4; 01-27-2018 at 04:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Just Ordered Dave's eRam Kit