Lowering a 996 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 07:49 PM
desiromeo812
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering a 996 turbo

Hello all,

I recently purchased a 2003 turbo. I have bought and installed h&r springs on the car this past weekend. Test drove it to make sure all is good and it is.

Next questions is I will need to get an alignment done.

Does everyone usually shoot for the gt2 specs for alignment settings?
Due to the car being lowered, what kind of problems will I have trying to bring the alignment into spec? I have been hearing toe will be off? I know the camber will be slightly negative but I think that can help with the handling. I would however want the toe to be zero or whatever the spec is so I dont get lots of additional tire wear.

What parts should I add before I get the alignment? toe arms? sway bar endlinks? can someone link me or recommend a few brands.

Thanks All!.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:19 AM
06Turbo
Instructor

I am getting ready to do the same mod (H&R lowering springs) and have been reading and researching the parts needed for the job. How was the install for you? Pretty straight forward?
You will most definitely need some adjustable toe links in order to bring the *TOE of the wheels back in true form. Tarett (I just purchased), RSS or if you can source some factory Cup ones would be my first suggestions. Many of the supporting vendors here have their own branded versions which can get spendy. The cheapest ones I could find are the "torque solutions" branded ones. Some people have used them, but I haven't heard much in regards to how well they have held up.
I would also look into purchasing the "locking plate kit" (again Tarett or RSS) which will replace the cam adjusters which apparently come out of alignment.
I believe that is all you will need parts wise. I have also read about people using the GT3 rear sway bars (more adjustment) with the H&R setup.
Of course you can take bigger leaps with your suspension and spend some dough on GT3 Lower control arms...........the list goes on and on.
I am waiting to hear about the alignment specs from some experienced folk here. I believe the GT2 specs help with some irregular rear tire wear.
Hope that helps some

Last edited by 06Turbo; 05-24-2016 at 02:52 PM. Reason: *Toe links clearly adjust the TOE of the wheels not the camber.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:57 AM
desiromeo812
Intermediate

The install was very straight forward. I didnt even need a spring compressor or any special tools. Read the DIY on here and lots of people talking about special tools and bla bla.. Didnt need anything other than normal tools.

Toe links will bring camber back into spec? I am not too worried about camber. I am however worried about toe. I have read a few different posts, some suggest 20 million things, other suggest that with the lowering height of the h&r, everything should be back in spec and 1/16" toe in is where it will end up. This much toe in the rear is actually acceptable and helps the car handle better from what I read. The torque solution toe links for rear seem to be about 450, I have a few friends in the industry so I should be able to get those at cost.

The locking plate kits do seem like they would help any movement under hard loads at the track, however I dont track the car.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:08 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Send me a PM.
I have an alignment spreadsheet based on ride height measurement as specified by Porsche. Give the numbers to tech, on say a Hunter alignment rig. I get perfect left right tire wear...etc.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:51 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

i don't have my alignment specs at hand.. but it's a good thing to begin with x73 and/or gt2 alignment and tweak to taste from there. i'm just a smidgen below gt2 height with h&r "sport" ( red ) springs ( on MO30's ) and the torque solutions t-links gt3 sway and yes, toe in will be the issue re tire wear on the inner portion. the ts links will allow you to dial it out a bit to compensate for the "squat" as well as lowered stance especially at wot. it's a good compromise for a street car, that while offering a bit "rougher" ride, more than makes up for that with a more compliant handling car. this done in concert with semi solid mounts and ensuring you have a relatively new t-mount will keep things taut.

Last edited by "02996ttx50; 05-24-2016 at 10:11 AM. Reason: add struts
Old 05-24-2016, 04:13 PM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 06Turbo
...I have also read about people using the GT3 rear sway bars (more adjustment) with the H&R setup...
I would use the GT3 bars whether you have a suspension upgrade or not.

The understeer from the factory is horrible.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:56 PM
06Turbo
Instructor

OEM GT3 bars? And if so just purchase from the typical OEM vendors. Or is there an equivalent aftermarket unit that is GT3 specific?
Anyone know if the 997.1 or .2 GT3 sway bars are interchangeable with our 996TTs?
Originally Posted by 996TWINS
I would use the GT3 bars whether you have a suspension upgrade or not.

The understeer from the factory is horrible.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:18 PM
splitime
Advanced

I had my alignment recently done on my 2002 by a local well known Porsche shop. This is with the H&R 29385 springs on the car. My biggest limiter with stock adjustment was camber, getting it to about 2 on each side. The rear toe was brought to +10minutes per side (~1/16). Nothing beyond factory components (outside of swaybars which are unrelated to alignment setup).

A street alignment was done for me as that is the cars primary use. So its a boring Front 0 Toe, -1°15' camber - Rear +10°, -2°10' camber
Old 05-24-2016, 06:57 PM
KC_Michael
Advanced

Default IMO GT2 height too low

This is purely my opinion, but Ifound the GT2 ride height to be too low (for the street). I constantly scraped the front lip pulling into a certain parking garage (every day). Pretty annoying. I had car raised to X73 (I believe) and it was MUCH better. I would caution about going too low. It may look cool but in my case it lowered my enjoyment of driving the car (no pun intended).
Old 05-26-2016, 03:51 AM
desiromeo812
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
Send me a PM.
I have an alignment spreadsheet based on ride height measurement as specified by Porsche. Give the numbers to tech, on say a Hunter alignment rig. I get perfect left right tire wear...etc.
Sent you a PM. Thanks buddy.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:54 AM
desiromeo812
Intermediate

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
i don't have my alignment specs at hand.. but it's a good thing to begin with x73 and/or gt2 alignment and tweak to taste from there. i'm just a smidgen below gt2 height with h&r "sport" ( red ) springs ( on MO30's ) and the torque solutions t-links gt3 sway and yes, toe in will be the issue re tire wear on the inner portion. the ts links will allow you to dial it out a bit to compensate for the "squat" as well as lowered stance especially at wot. it's a good compromise for a street car, that while offering a bit "rougher" ride, more than makes up for that with a more compliant handling car. this done in concert with semi solid mounts and ensuring you have a relatively new t-mount will keep things taut.
I also have installed the red springs so on the same boat as you. Funny you mention Tranny and engine mounts.. Just picked up some torque solution ones and I will be installing them in the next week or so.

I drove the car for about 10 miles as my test drive after lowering on the springs. I dont mind the ride, its not much different than stock. It could also be because my daily is an evo 8 on coilovers.

I noticed the alignment can be brought in close to factory, but its the Squat effecting the alignment and tire wear which is bothering me. I have a heavy right foot.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:56 AM
desiromeo812
Intermediate

Originally Posted by splitime
I had my alignment recently done on my 2002 by a local well known Porsche shop. This is with the H&R 29385 springs on the car. My biggest limiter with stock adjustment was camber, getting it to about 2 on each side. The rear toe was brought to +10minutes per side (~1/16). Nothing beyond factory components (outside of swaybars which are unrelated to alignment setup).

A street alignment was done for me as that is the cars primary use. So its a boring Front 0 Toe, -1°15' camber - Rear +10°, -2°10' camber
How does the car drive/feel at those specs. do these cars run positive toe from the factory? Would squating further increase that resulting in tire wear?
Old 05-26-2016, 03:57 AM
desiromeo812
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KC_Michael
This is purely my opinion, but Ifound the GT2 ride height to be too low (for the street). I constantly scraped the front lip pulling into a certain parking garage (every day). Pretty annoying. I had car raised to X73 (I believe) and it was MUCH better. I would caution about going too low. It may look cool but in my case it lowered my enjoyment of driving the car (no pun intended).
I found that if I wasnt being careful I can even get the front lip to scrape at stock height. I have learned to be cautious and It isnt that low. There is still a 2 finger gap all around with stock wheels.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:02 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by desiromeo812
I also have installed the red springs so on the same boat as you. Funny you mention Tranny and engine mounts.. Just picked up some torque solution ones and I will be installing them in the next week or so.

I drove the car for about 10 miles as my test drive after lowering on the springs. I dont mind the ride, its not much different than stock. It could also be because my daily is an evo 8 on coilovers.

I noticed the alignment can be brought in close to factory, but its the Squat effecting the alignment and tire wear which is bothering me. I have a heavy right foot.
those'll work! i also dialed out some of the squat and accompanying inter tread wear with the TS dogbones. you'd like 'em, and they'll increase your tire life and tread wear as well as the "plant". good choices!
cheers..
Old 05-27-2016, 12:06 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
those'll work! i also dialed out some of the squat and accompanying inter tread wear with the TS dogbones. you'd like 'em, and they'll increase your tire life and tread wear as well as the "plant". good choices! cheers..
I need those! I'm tearing through rear tires.

Quick Reply: Lowering a 996 turbo