Sponsored by:

Anyone check kbb lately?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 10:57 PM
Veggantilles
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone check kbb lately?

Went on the kbb site today and found that our cars have increased in value. At least according to KBB, not sure how reliable of an indicator they are, and I'm not going to be selling any time soon. It's good to know that someone thinks they are increasing a bit in value.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:42 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

When I took my Turbo in the other day I received an email from the dealership asking me if I was interested in selling my Turbo. It expressed an interest in buying the car whether I wanted to buy another car or not.

Maybe I should see what the dealer will offer me?
Old 02-08-2016, 02:15 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't see why these cars won't go up in price. The press they have been getting lately, and all the 991 owners ******* theirs. I think we are at the bottom for depreciation and they can only trend up.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:36 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

What's the over/under on summer pricing?
Old 02-08-2016, 07:23 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

I think KBB has no idea. Even hagerty is often several months behind the curve.

However I do believe that 996tt prices will perform well in the short to mid term. Fewer and fewer clean and unmolested examples remaining.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:58 PM
Bagatelle
1st Gear

On the other hand, NADA currently only puts a Clean Retail value of $41K on a '03 tt with 40K miles. In my experience, they are usually higher than KBB on pricing...
Old 02-08-2016, 03:05 PM
Shadetree930
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Drumbeats in the jungle. All pointing to a hockey stick price curve. I saw this with the 930s and the same thing/talk/articles/etc is happening all over again with the 996tt.

Not today, not tomorrow, it took a couple of years for the 930 ... but it is coming.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:56 PM
WOTever
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you look at the asking prices on autotrader etc there is already a substantial increase compared to 1-2 years ago. Interestingly very few actually pay those prices. 95% of all ebay sales I have watched have not met reserve or were sold significantly lower than the buy it now price when no reserve was set.
All this talk of "supercar bargain" has led sellers to inflate price beyond what the market is willing to pay.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:28 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The average joe probably thinks these cars are still $100k plus, only the informed realize the value. The informed will fight for an unmolested low priced car, and the average joe will buy a mustang.

I think I've broken down the 996tt owners:

1. Original owners (still hold the car to new standards and premium care)

2. Generation X owners (grew up drooling over these and the market has made them accessible).
Generation owner Type A: keeps the car stock and treats it as a new car.
Generation owner Type B: buys it just for show and tells the whole world he has a Porsche and defaults on loan payments.

3. Gear Heads: constantly changing cars because he gets bored with them. Mods the hell out of em rides it hard and sells it wet.

The mid life crisis: getting up in age and finally says f it. Likes the new models, but knows a good deal when he sees it. Rather pay cash for a toy than refinance the home.

Last edited by Atrox; 02-09-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:20 PM
Veggantilles
Intermediate

I've only owned the car for a year and a half but it's nice to know that if I have to sell it in theory I can get close to what I paid for it. Of course I don't think it will get to the 930tt level of pricing in my lifetime.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:25 PM
Shadetree930
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Veggantilles
I don't think it will get to the 930tt level of pricing in my lifetime.
I would not look for that near term either.

I do expect a good bump in value over the near term with continuing increases as time goes by, but nothing like the tulip bulb pricing of the early 930s that we are seeing right now.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:51 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Don't forget the spring fever buying season will soon be upon us. You will see prices go up around 10% starting in March through the summer. But then after Labor Day the market will languish. Happens every year.
The real question is not whether the non-seasonal value of the cars will increase (it will), but how soon and to what extent. My guess is that we have hit bottom, but are still a couple of years from seeing any true and significant increase. In the meantime, I'm driving mine - not saving it for the next guy. Don't know if I ever will sell mine, but I know for certain that since I bought my car in September, it's done a helluva lot better at holding its value than my retirement funds have.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:20 PM
split71
Racer

Originally Posted by kcattorney
The real question is not whether the non-seasonal value of the cars will increase (it will), but how soon and to what extent. My guess is that we have hit bottom, but are still a couple of years from seeing any true and significant increase. In the meantime, I'm driving mine - not saving it for the next guy. Don't know if I ever will sell mine....
x2
Old 02-09-2016, 01:03 AM
Engineisoutback
Intermediate

[QUOTE=Atrox;12998329]The average joe probably thinks these cars are still $100k plus, only the informed realize the value. The informed will fight for an unmolested low priced car, and the average joe will buy a mustang.

I think I've broken down the 996tt owners:

1. Original owners (still hold the car to new standards and premium care)

2. Millenial owners (grew up drooling over these and the market has made them accessible).
Millennial owner Type A: keeps the car stock and treats it as a new car.
Millennial owner Type B: buys it just for show and tells the whole world he has a Porsche and defaults on loan payments.

3. Gear Heads: constantly changing cars because he gets bored with them. Mods the hell out of em rides it hard and sells it wet.

The mid life crisis: getting up in age and finally says f it. Likes the new models, but knows a good deal when he sees it. Rather pay cash for a toy than refinance the home.[/QUOT

I agree on on your assessment for the most part on current buyers having just bought my 996 tt two weeks ago. I would say I'm a #4 who looked for a #1 to buy from. To be honest the 996 platform was not in my crosshairs until Articles like the one linked below started popping up.

http://jalopnik.com/here-s-why-the-9...-ca-1665776219
Old 02-09-2016, 02:16 AM
docboy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Atrox
The mid life crisis: getting up in age and finally says f it. Likes the new models, but knows a good deal when he sees it. Rather pay cash for a toy than refinance the home.
Ok, I got called out here, spot on

Who's next to admit it?

Quick Reply: Anyone check kbb lately?