Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone check kbb lately?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 07:33 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

That's a very good assessment but I think you mean generation Xers rather than millennials. Millennials are the 20-25 year old college kids, who for the majority are big poossies who can't give a damn about cars. Pajama Boy is the poster millennial (and in fact he drives an old escape hybrid).
Old 02-09-2016, 07:34 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Or this article https://www.yahoo.com/autos/the-996-...154307064.html
Seems to be a trend...
Old 02-09-2016, 09:06 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
That's a very good assessment but I think you mean generation Xers rather than millennials. Millennials are the 20-25 year old college kids, who for the majority are big poossies who can't give a damn about cars. Pajama Boy is the poster millennial (and in fact he drives an old escape hybrid).
Good point, I updated it.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:37 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=Engineisoutback;12999806]
Originally Posted by Atrox
The average joe probably thinks these cars are still $100k plus, only the informed realize the value. The informed will fight for an unmolested low priced car, and the average joe will buy a mustang.

I think I've broken down the 996tt owners:

1. Original owners (still hold the car to new standards and premium care)

2. Millenial owners (grew up drooling over these and the market has made them accessible).
Millennial owner Type A: keeps the car stock and treats it as a new car.
Millennial owner Type B: buys it just for show and tells the whole world he has a Porsche and defaults on loan payments.

3. Gear Heads: constantly changing cars because he gets bored with them. Mods the hell out of em rides it hard and sells it wet.

The mid life crisis: getting up in age and finally says f it. Likes the new models, but knows a good deal when he sees it. Rather pay cash for a toy than refinance the home.[/QUOT

I agree on on your assessment for the most part on current buyers having just bought my 996 tt two weeks ago. I would say I'm a #4 who looked for a #1 to buy from. To be honest the 996 platform was not in my crosshairs until Articles like the one linked below started popping up.

http://jalopnik.com/here-s-why-the-9...-ca-1665776219
Videos like this will make your renn kit even more in demand.

You need to make an infomercial
type add. Show the does this ever happen to you (broken spoiler) etc.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:32 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,474 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrox
The average joe probably thinks these cars are still $100k plus, only the informed realize the value. The informed will fight for an unmolested low priced car, and the average joe will buy a mustang.

I think I've broken down the 996tt owners:

1. Original owners (still hold the car to new standards and premium care)

2. Generation X owners (grew up drooling over these and the market has made them accessible).
Generation owner Type A: keeps the car stock and treats it as a new car.
Generation owner Type B: buys it just for show and tells the whole world he has a Porsche and defaults on loan payments.

3. Gear Heads: constantly changing cars because he gets bored with them. Mods the hell out of em rides it hard and sells it wet.

The mid life crisis: getting up in age and finally says f it. Likes the new models, but knows a good deal when he sees it. Rather pay cash for a toy than refinance the home.
I think you left out one type of buyer.

There are experienced Porsche buyers out there who know the depreciation and then appreciation bell curve of these car well. They tend to buy their Porsches from the original owners with low miles near the low point of their value, enjoy them for a while, and then sell them as prices rise, and then repeat the process with the next 911 variant whose value is on the down slope of the curve.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:35 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,474 Posts

Originally Posted by docboy
Ok, I got called out here, spot on

Who's next to admit it?
I think I've been in a midlife crisis my entire life.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:38 PM
Veggantilles
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I'm a gen Xer and possibly in a slightly early mid life crisis.
I originally was going to buy a Cayman GTS but decided to buy used to avoid depreciation having experienced severe depreciation with my last BMW.

I'm open to minor mods in the futue, but I don't track it and its fast enough as it is for what I use it for which is weekend drives on twisty roads.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:35 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 236 Posts

I tend to buy at the bottom of the bell curve and mod/drive but keep in the 90-95% condition. Rarely sell anything, just keep them in a heated garage and go pick up the next under valued car.

KBB trade in is up about $7-10k from when I bought it in 2014.

If the right deal pops up in the next year or two I will buy another one without issue.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:17 PM
Thomas42
Instructor

I check the black book price every few weeks just out of curiosity. Mine has gone up a percent or two in the past couple of months. FWIW.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:08 PM
ANJ-911
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
In the meantime, I'm driving mine - not saving it for the next guy. Don't know if I ever will sell mine, but I know for certain that since I bought my car in September, it's done a helluva lot better at holding its value than my retirement funds have.
Very true. I couldn't see buying a car for the sole purpose of an investment unless I didn't have to pay taxes on it, minimal insurance, minimal maintenance, minimal registration, and had a spare garage to keep it in, the carrying costs seem kind of high in terms of investment options. I bought a nice example, enjoy it regularly, take great care of it, and if it's worth more if/when I sell that's just a bonus, but I'm not scared to put miles on it when the weather is nice. Agree with the retirement account statement too. Will be some years before I formally "retire" though.

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
I think I've been in a midlife crisis my entire life.
Haha, I feel the same way, and I'm relatively young. I call this my quarter life crisis car, lol.

Millennials are actually considered the the current 14-34 year olds, many of which were in high school or thereabouts when these cars came out, myself included, and hence grew up drooling over these cars like Atrox originally mentioned. Most GenXers were fairly "grown up" by the time the 996's came out. Not sure how you can correlate not being interested in cars as being a "poosie" either, lol.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:26 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Well I was grown up but sure as hell I couldn't afford to buy a car that was $142k new in 2004, so I bought it used now that I'm even more grown up, and I think that's what happened to a lot of other people. So I still firmly believe that there are many more buyers that fit atrox description in my age bracket than in the 14 (lol!) to 34 bracket.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:01 PM
ANJ-911
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I was grown up but sure as hell I couldn't afford to buy a car that was $142k new in 2004, so I bought it used now that I'm even more grown up, and I think that's what happened to a lot of other people. So I still firmly believe that there are many more buyers that fit atrox description in my age bracket than in the 14 (lol!) to 34 bracket.
There are likely more GenXers who own or are looking to buy these cars currently, but to cast off the Millennial generation as a bunch of pussies that don't care about cars and wouldn't be interested in owning a 911 turbo, was a childish comment. I'm not gonna lie, I took a bit of offense to that since I'm a millennial who's loved German cars since I can remember and have worked really hard to get myself to a position where I could afford buying and maintaining a car like this properly.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:11 PM
Veggantilles
Intermediate

This is the first used car I have purchased, it's nice to see that a car that I purchased a year ago and put 10,000 miles on can in theory be worth what I paid for it (minus taxes and stupid drivetrain extended warranty).
Old 02-10-2016, 04:05 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Originally Posted by ANJ-911
There are likely more GenXers who own or are looking to buy these cars currently, but to cast off the Millennial generation as a bunch of pussies that don't care about cars and wouldn't be interested in owning a 911 turbo, was a childish comment. I'm not gonna lie, I took a bit of offense to that since I'm a millennial who's loved German cars since I can remember and have worked really hard to get myself to a position where I could afford buying and maintaining a car like this properly.
Take as much offense as you like. There are several statistics, including number of young people without driver licenses, as well as a plethora of anecdotal evidence, which point to millennials as a category by and large not giving a damn about cars.

As with all generalizations, there are exceptions, which don't change the general theme. For every car-loving young person there are a thousand pajama boys.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:16 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not only that but they have no desire by the numbers to own a home or be self sufficient .

Quick Reply: Anyone check kbb lately?