Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 911's

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 05:52 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would believe that it will be built in a limited number= exclusivity.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:06 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,586 Likes on 1,638 Posts

Originally Posted by rmc1148
I would believe that it will be built in a limited number= exclusivity.
Porsche has said themselves they are building this car for the purest, the enthusiast, how will building only 600 examples, selling them at a ridiculous price of $160k and only to prefered 918 purchasers accomplish that?
Old 11-20-2015, 06:14 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It all speculation at this point but there is very little that would surprise me. http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-sho...to-basics-911/
Old 11-20-2015, 06:44 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If the initial ones sell quickly I'm sure Porsche will keep putting them out. They did the same thing with the gt4, and now they have a pdk gt4.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:58 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Atrox
If the initial ones sell quickly I'm sure Porsche will keep putting them out. They did the same thing with the gt4, and now they have a pdk gt4.
I agree, demand will determine the numbers made.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:01 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rmc1148
It all speculation at this point but there is very little that would surprise me. http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-sho...to-basics-911/
The GTS was supposed to be a "limited edition" too.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:59 PM
Atrox
Drifting

The whole limited run/edition is a marketing ploy that has always been successful. Create a buzz, dealers get huge over msrp incentives and the look at me people will be first to bite. The fact that bringing back astandard transmission is on cue with all the other old is new fads. It's actually funny that for all the technology steps involved with pdk here we are clamoring over something that's been around since the 1900's. Soon people will want to fly transcontinental in a B17. (That would be awesome though)
Old 11-20-2015, 09:28 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

It's actually funny that for all the technology steps involved with pdk here we are clamoring over something that's been around since the 1900's.
My guess is that the clamoring is by a very small minority of current/future 911 owners. IMO the majority of people shopping for a new 911 are enamored with tech like PDK, and have no desire to own a manual transmission.

For me, a large part of the enjoyment of driving a sports car like my 996 Turbo is the mental/physical challenges required to operate the manual transmission smoothly and accurately, including heel/toeing. I don't race anyone, and I don't track my 996 Turbo, so a PDK would be a total waste for me. I think that many people considering a new 911 look at a manual transmission as a negative; too much work involved.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:47 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

It's actually funny that for all the technology steps involved with pdk here we are clamoring over something that's been around since the 1900's.
that strikes me as odd? i'm curious, can you enlighten me as to what version of a double clutch transmission was available as early as the 1900's!? wikipedia suggests it was invented in the 1940's and first adopted by porsche sometime in the 1980's. all i know is i love the way pdk operates. i have a version, albeit a lesser version, in my 6spd vw with the DSG box. it's a gas, and always in any gear you need instantly. having driven a couple of 911's with it, it still wins in my book, taking nothing away for me, from my beloved 6spd g50 box lol

they say this:

This type of transmission was invented by Frenchman Adolphe Kégresse just before World War II but he never developed a working model. The first development of the Twin Clutch or Dual-clutch transmission started in the early part of 1980 under the guidance of Harry Webster at Automotive Products (AP), Leamington Spa with prototypes built into the Ford Fiesta Mk1, Ford Ranger & Peugeot 205. Initially, the control systems were based on purely analogue/discrete digital circuitry with patents filed in July 1981.[4] All of these early AP Twin Clutch installations featured a single dry clutch and multi-plate wet clutch. Following discussions with VW/Porsche, DCT work continued from Porsche in-house development, for Audi and Porsche racing cars later in the 1980s,[2] when computers to control the transmission became compact enough: the Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe (English: dual-clutch gearbox) (PDK)[2] used in the Porsche 956[2] and 962[2] Le Mans race cars from 1983,[2] and the Audi Sport Quattro S1 rally car.[5][6]

A dual-clutch transmission eliminates the torque converter as used in conventional epicyclic-geared automatic transmissions.[1] Instead, dual-clutch transmissions that are currently on the market primarily use two oil-bathed wet multi-plate clutches, similar to the clutches used in most motorcycles, though dry clutch versions are also available.
[7]
Old 11-20-2015, 10:09 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
I agree, demand will determine the numbers made.
Not if it is a numbered edition. Porsche is due to release one and the word is this may be it. If it is a numbered edition it will be limited not by demand, but the pre-determined number like the 4.0 RS. Demand was huge, but they stuck to their number.

I'd be prepared, since there is a lot of talk that this is Porsches next limited numbered release car.

The GTS is not a limited edition and was never intended to be one. The GTS is a line Porsche has been running across the entire line...boxster GTS, 911 GTS, Cayman GTS, Cayenne GTS, Panamara GTS.....they all have a version.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:35 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
that strikes me as odd? i'm curious, can you enlighten me as to what version of a double clutch transmission was available as early as the 1900's!? wikipedia suggests it was invented in the 1940's and first adopted by porsche sometime in the 1980's. all i know is i love the way pdk operates. i have a version, albeit a lesser version, in my 6spd vw with the DSG box. it's a gas, and always in any gear you need instantly. having driven a couple of 911's with it, it still wins in my book, taking nothing away for me, from my beloved 6spd g50 box lol

they say this:

This type of transmission was invented by Frenchman Adolphe Kégresse just before World War II but he never developed a working model. The first development of the Twin Clutch or Dual-clutch transmission started in the early part of 1980 under the guidance of Harry Webster at Automotive Products (AP), Leamington Spa with prototypes built into the Ford Fiesta Mk1, Ford Ranger & Peugeot 205. Initially, the control systems were based on purely analogue/discrete digital circuitry with patents filed in July 1981.[4] All of these early AP Twin Clutch installations featured a single dry clutch and multi-plate wet clutch. Following discussions with VW/Porsche, DCT work continued from Porsche in-house development, for Audi and Porsche racing cars later in the 1980s,[2] when computers to control the transmission became compact enough: the Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe (English: dual-clutch gearbox) (PDK)[2] used in the Porsche 956[2] and 962[2] Le Mans race cars from 1983,[2] and the Audi Sport Quattro S1 rally car.[5][6]

A dual-clutch transmission eliminates the torque converter as used in conventional epicyclic-geared automatic transmissions.[1] Instead, dual-clutch transmissions that are currently on the market primarily use two oil-bathed wet multi-plate clutches, similar to the clutches used in most motorcycles, though dry clutch versions are also available.
[7]
Manual tranny since the 1900's not pdk
Old 11-20-2015, 11:04 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Manual tranny since the 1900's not pdk
got it. your sentence read strangely.

i still think the pdk is a joy to operate. only semi auto worth having that i know of. at least for a high performance vehicle.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:41 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Not if it is a numbered edition. Porsche is due to release one and the word is this may be it. If it is a numbered edition it will be limited not by demand, but the pre-determined number like the 4.0 RS. Demand was huge, but they stuck to their number.

I'd be prepared, since there is a lot of talk that this is Porsches next limited numbered release car.

The GTS is not a limited edition and was never intended to be one. The GTS is a line Porsche has been running across the entire line...boxster GTS, 911 GTS, Cayman GTS, Cayenne GTS, Panamara GTS.....they all have a version.
I agree with most of this, but if you go back and look at the very early rumors of GTS they were supposed to be limited production. But if the 911R is a numbered car then yes that exact number only will be built.

I just do not think it will be a numbered model and even if it is I find the 600 edition number being hung out there as very odd. They made 918 of the 918. I just cant see Porsche saying "no" to the 918 buyer who happens to be number 601 to want a 911R. I also do not see this car being the swan song the 997 GT3 4.0 was.

Also keep in mind what happened with Cayman R. That car launched with tons of praise but didn't sell well and just disappeared. As you suggested the limited number rumor for the 911R might just be marketing.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 11-21-2015 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:14 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Carlos, are you referring to the tumors before the 997 GTS came out? I don't recall any for the 991 GTS.

As for limited numbers, the 4,0 was one of their higher limited runs at 600, which is why that number gets thrown around. IIRC, the 997 speedster was 356.

Either way, I'm with you hoping they are just tumors and marketing.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:34 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Carlos, are you referring to the tumors before the 997 GTS came out? I don't recall any for the 991 GTS.

As for limited numbers, the 4,0 was one of their higher limited runs at 600, which is why that number gets thrown around. IIRC, the 997 speedster was 356.

Either way, I'm with you hoping they are just tumors and marketing.

Quick Reply: New 911's