Sponsored by:

Maintainance before winter storage

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 09:47 PM
greyhound2001
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintainance before winter storage

Just got my car this year. Used it the whole summer, but it did not have all the records with it. So I was planning on doing some maintenance to re-set the clock so to speak by doing spark plugs , ignition coils, filters, etc.

Question: I s there any down side to doing it now and letting it sit over the winter, or is it better to do it in the spring? Car will be stored in an insulated garage in Michigan on a 4 post lift.

Looking for opinions. Thanks.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:22 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,585 Likes on 1,637 Posts

I do my maintenance in the spring after a couple weeks of driving so I have a clear base line of how the car is running before I replace things. That way I have better idea of what might have gone wrong if I happen screw something up.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:29 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Agree, but I wouldn't store it with the rims unsprung on a lift if you're using that type.
C
Old 10-02-2015, 08:27 AM
Berra
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I let the car sit as is, don't lift it. I also make sure to have fresh fluids before hibernation. Don't forget full tank of gas.

When spring comes it's fresh fluid time once again. I also make sure to drive the car around without any heavy load until the old gas is gone. Head to the gas station, give it some fresh gas and then just WOT!!
Old 10-02-2015, 09:14 AM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Op said a 4 post lift. Those are storage lifts, no issue whatsoever using those.
I agree with an oil change before storage in order to have new, clean oil sitting in the tank, case, and turbos all winter. However, I don't see the need for another oil change in the spring. The oil in there is still new and clean.
Also, use a Porsche battery trickle charger that plugs into the lighter.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:57 AM
Berra
Pro

Originally Posted by jeanmarcboilard
Op said a 4 post lift. Those are storage lifts, no issue whatsoever using those.
I agree with an oil change before storage in order to have new, clean oil sitting in the tank, case, and turbos all winter. However, I don't see the need for another oil change in the spring. The oil in there is still new and clean.
Also, use a Porsche battery trickle charger that plugs into the lighter.
Maybe not needed, didn't say that, but it is what I personally do with my car. I also change transmission fluid and diff fluids with every engine oil change, I'm sure that won't be needed either but I do it anyway.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:11 AM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 146 Posts

Agree with Jean Marc fresh oil only before storage and trickle charger connected all winter and car rest on suspension...But Berra do you know how much cost a liter of Mobilube PTX 75W90???? Changing transmission oil every oil change is a bit too much for me and my wallet ;-(
Old 10-02-2015, 10:36 AM
Berra
Pro

Originally Posted by jpflip
Agree with Jean Marc fresh oil only before storage and trickle charger connected all winter and car rest on suspension...But Berra do you know how much cost a liter of Mobilube PTX 75W90???? Changing transmission oil every oil change is a bit too much for me and my wallet ;-(

Guys, once again...this is what I do with MY car. I'm not saying that it is needed, just a personal preference. I do however stand by the fresh engine oil and to not boost/load the engine with old fuel.

Where do you live and how much is a liter there?
Old 10-02-2015, 11:03 AM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 146 Posts

Sorry Berra did not want to offense you but 5 litres of PTX in Montreal Canada cost $261.06 with tax...Which is $197.00 U.S. That was last year when I did front differential and transmission oil change for the first time on my car....
Old 10-02-2015, 11:18 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

The hardware maintenance can wait. That is plugs, coils, etc.

However, let me add if you have this done before putting the car away and then drive the car a while come next spring you have no services to worry about but can get right back to enjoying the car without having to go to the trouble of booking the car in for this service.

If you elect to let the hardware service wait until spring still the engine oil and filter should be new.

I would be inclined to have the coolant drained and refilled with a fresh mix/blend of anti-freeze and distilled water.

I would fill up the gas tank. If you want to add some fuel treatment that's up to you. I have no experience with these.

Be sure the radiator ducts are free of any trash.

Same goes for the body water drains.

While the car will be parked you do not want this trash sitting around for months rotting.

Be sure you have a good plan to prevent mice from getting into the car. I do not subscribe to the idea putting something in the car to supposedly repel the creatures but instead recommend the area where the car is parked to be free of stuff on the floor and pet/kid safe rodent traps set out. If pets/kids not a concern then the old fashion spring traps are just fine.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:05 PM
breakfast
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

toss a little bit of stabil in the gas tank.
trickle charger if you feel you want to (or yank battery and keep in the house if your garage gets below or near freezing).

keep a window cracked a little bit to allow some fresh air circulation. (even if covered )

you could oil change...or not. No need to over think this unless it was long term storage. Your money, your choice, but fresh fluids on both ends is wasteful/unnecessary
Old 10-03-2015, 12:54 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by breakfast
toss a little bit of stabil in the gas tank.
trickle charger if you feel you want to (or yank battery and keep in the house if your garage gets below or near freezing).

keep a window cracked a little bit to allow some fresh air circulation. (even if covered )

you could oil change...or not. No need to over think this unless it was long term storage. Your money, your choice, but fresh fluids on both ends is wasteful/unnecessary
Tranny/diff fluids do not have to be changed before winter storage unless they are due based on time or miles.

However, I would urge anyone who is going to put his car away for the winter to do so with fresh oil and a new filter. As the engine is run oil gets contaminated with combustion byproducts which long story short turn into acid. Putting the car away then has all the internal engine surfaces exposed to oil subject to corrosion.

While the acid in the oil won't eat through the oil tank it can damage sensitive bearing surfaces which can lead to once the engine is put back into service accelerated wear and tear.

An added benefit is once the driving season returns one can take the car out without having to then worry about getting the car booked in for an oil/filter service.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:11 PM
ChemMan
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Change your oil
Overinflate your tires a bit
Put it on a trickle charger
Add stabil

Usually also wash and wax and clean the interior. Used to put in a few boxes of baking soda but last year I had heated storage so I did not do that.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:16 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 409 Posts

I have heard many people warn about storing a car unsprung, but have never heard anybody have any issue after doing this. my mechanic says it is no problem. I don;t plan to store my car on a lift this winter but curious of any real life experience with this.
to the op: get some gel packs that abosorb moisture (silica gel) and put in the car to avoid mold.
fill the gas tank and add stabil,
put on trickle charger (I only put it on for a few days every two weeks or so)
put seat backs forward (to not have pressure on the springs)
wash and vacuum and wax it first
don't start it while stored
overinflate the tires to 50 or put on foam mats (to avoid flat spotting)

Quick Reply: Maintainance before winter storage