Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996 TT, really worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 01:34 PM
Tuxiemama
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been in all sorts of racing cars and street cars and yada yada and owned and driven lots of different things.. currently have a 2015 Audi A3 (same as a GTI but 400 lbs heavier and AWD).. it is an avg car.. also have part of a 650S Macca which already has issues, it is quick but the dual clutch thingy does not excite me... I had an old E39 540i which I drove literally to death, an F360, Aussie racing V8s and a little 2005 996 Turbo S which is ****ing epic and the most fun thing I have ever owned. I have recently driven the new R8 V10 (slow), 991 TTS (fecking quick but meh), all the A3-A6 Audis (meh), Huracan (nice but understeer meh), F458S (nice but meh expensive), Mustang GT (POS), C7 vette (nice but meh)... tuned GTR (huge fat *** heavyweight but uber quick, meh)

I am not nice to cars and give my things the bash and mash on a daily basis.. my 996 TTS is FBO and is really tough and any 996TT for mind is the cheapest form of entry into a potential super car

Exhaust, tune, clutch, fueling upgrade for E85 and you will have 650+ bhp on tap

or just exhaust and tune and you have a 530 bhp car = JOY or even just an exhaust will net you 500 bhp

Sorry, my long winded point is **** a new car, buy the 996 Turbo... it is far more engaging and exciting to drive

GL
Old 05-12-2015, 05:49 PM
acarr6
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car would be a daily driver *sort of*. I have a truck to drive to work and anywhere else really, the 911, much like my R, would be the "when i want to" car. I also store it during the winter. People seem to be more optimistic today about the costs related! It's not that I have THAT much disposable income, or else I'd be after a 991 . How's the sound system in them? (although with straight pipes I wouldn't be able to hear it anyways).
Old 05-12-2015, 06:01 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

pre most bose was actually pretty decent. post most lol is its polar opposite. it's pretty lousy.

I've gotta rip mine out and begin anew as my cd mag just gave out. thats my point also about the costs of running. there is no end to the things you can do at your discretion, or conversely, end up having to do. obviously age/miles have most to do with this. but just remember, you're picking up a car that ran from 120k to 150k and the parts are ( special finds notwithstanding ) still in most places and even items still reflect that albeit to slightly lesser degree than when "new" but bear this in mind. it's not like replacing oem parts in a gti.

as a daily and relative to many other cars its age? it's on the high side of daily running costs. certainly not f car money, but still it'll clip you every time you need to do something unanticipated lol
Old 05-12-2015, 08:50 PM
Nico911
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Just find the right car at the right price, and have an pre purchase inspection performed before buying, especially if you're new to Porsches.

I always look for :
1- full maintenance records
2- one or two owners car
3- buying from the owner, never from a wheeler dealer.

Have fun shopping !
Old 05-12-2015, 10:51 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good advice but not many 1-2 owner cars of this age out there.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:03 PM
Smoltz
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Regarding the stereo, I have the base (not BOSE or DSP) pre-MOST stereo and it's terrible, as in worse than my 97 4Runner terrible. Fortunately, it's easy to upgrade.

I didn't mind the MOST BOSE system in my 03 C4s that i owned many years ago, far better than what's in my Turbo.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:12 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 290 Posts

Sounds like your friend is one of the myriad buyers who were determined to get the best price instead of the best car. Time after time on here, the lowball buyers might feel like they beat the system with a disproportionately low price, only to find out their new car has issues that can only be fixed by throwing more money at it. If they would have just focused on getting the right car with the right history and the right maintenance records, even if it cost a bit more up front, they would likely have a much better ownership experience.

This is the kind of car that, in order to save a few bucks up front, will cost you a multiple of the savings over time.

Find the right car, get a thorough PPI, make sure it's what you really want, and go for it. Even if you pay $60k instead of $40k, this level of car is still a bargain.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:18 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by leftlane
Even if you pay $60k instead of $40k, this level of car is still a bargain.
Yes indeed.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:33 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^agree
Old 05-13-2015, 09:55 AM
ANJ-911
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

^ absolutely

Spending 5-10K more up front on a good car is far more enjoyable than saving that much on the purchase and having to spend the same amount of $$ in repairs and deal with the associated frustrations once you own it.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:12 PM
a914guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 3 months into ownership of a '03 996 Turbo. I'm familiar with older air cooled 911s, 930s and 914s, have owned several along with a Vette.

Today I have my original Porsche which is a 914-6 and this Turbo.

In only a short time I've owned the Turbo, I've put about 2500 miles on it and I really love the car. As you have heard here, they are an incredible value and quite an amazingly complex, yet reliable machine. Certainly one of the top 5 used SuperCar values in today's market. MSRP for my car topped $150K and I paid about a 3rd of that.

Finding the right car is important with ownership and service history a key to what you can expect to spend for your post-purchase expenses.

The advice on low ownership is important but you may find that cars with one or two owners may have above average asking prices. Cars with 2-5 owners may very well be as good a car as the one with only 1 or 2 owners. That's a determination you have to make by research, a good PPI and an in-person assessment.

Service history is most important in my mind. Routine oil and filter changes done on time, minor and major services performed will give you an indication of how the car was cared for which often translates to how it was used. Couple this info. with cosmetic condition and PPI results and you should be able to find a car that doesn't need $5-10K of work after you buy it. Many need nothing.

My car was a 3 owner 32K mile car. I'm dealing with my first problem which is a very likely to be a window microswitch issue. A $175 part and a fix that I can do myself.

Oil changes are super easy and a Major Service can be done by most guys that are mechanically inclined. A Major Service includes oil and filters, the single belt and a set of spark plugs. That's a $1500 to $2K event at a Dealer or Service Shop and is done .

This can be a bargaining point if the candidate car hasn't had it done.

If you love the driving experience of a 996 Turbo and heed what you read here, I think you can find an excellent Turbo as your first Porsche.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:28 PM
Blswan
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm only on day three of my ownership LOL. However, I've owned the whole gamete of cars. GTIs, Audi S4, 350z, Firebird LS1, 68 Stang 302, MR2 Turbo, Eclipse GST, Pontiac G8 GT (modern GTO), Corvette... anyway lots of Japanese turbo and American muscle. Audi S4 was probably my favorite. This 996tt feels very different from all of it. It 'feels' well put together. The sound of the engine revving is distinguishable and awesome. Even 10+ years old I am getting lots of looks driving this thing. I am having to put about $1500 into it right out of the shoot though for maintenance not kept up by the prior owner.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:56 PM
5ive0
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of the advice you have received so far is good.

Basically if you are ok with budgeting about 3k a year on maintenance and repairs, you will be very happy, and probably will stay below budget most years... until you decide to mod... but realistically, its so good out of the box, that its not essential by any means.

I have had my car for almost a year now, and so far I changed tires (last ones aged out) and coils. I'm still under budget.. Its very reliable and I would totally recommend it, plus values are creeping up now as people realize that these cars are pretty much production 959s for 1/20th of the price.

If you can't afford the maintenance, then over the long run you will not enjoy it and it will turn into a love/hate relationship.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:37 PM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

I sold my Golf R for this.

The Golf R is a great DD, fun, easy to throw around, forgiving, and had all the new tech. I used it as a weekender really.

However, I wanted a Porsche, of course, and after looking at the options, a 996 turbo was the best fit for me. It was reliable (engine-wise), great performer and fast. I've owned it for 6+ months now, and I find it a great performer and fast. I bought a great example with 34k miles, x50, with confirmed service (called the places it was serviced at) but didn't have a binder of service unfortunately, with 4 owners. Everything works on it...and 6 months later everything still works on it. I've only spent $250 for an oil change at the dealer.

I use it as a weekender only. The Golf R is fun, but the 996tt will always put a smile on your face driving, after the first few pulls which are a bit scary--as in, how the hell does a car go so fast so suddenly with so much torque! The clutch is good, but in stop and go traffic your leg will miss the light clutch on the Golf R. And it is a step way back in-cabin tech-wise. Since I don't drive it much, it feels special every time I get in.

I would do it again.

My wife's Mercedes GL450 that is 6 years old and costs ~$3k a year in maintenance. I will never buy another Mercedes. But I will get another Porsche again.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:16 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by JC Lacayo
And it is a step way back in-cabin tech-wise.
Which is one of the things I love about the car.

Quick Reply: 996 TT, really worth it?