Sponsored by:

Apology and Should I Buy This 2001 996 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 08:58 PM
SLC Tortfeasor
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Apology and Should I Buy This 2001 996 Turbo

First off, I apologize because I'm that annoying noob who's never posted a single thing on this forum and just signed up to milk you guys for info. But I promise if I end up buying this car or another 996 I'll contribute something of value to this board!

Second, what do you all think about this car? I just test drove it today and fell in love. Now I'm struggling to keep my head on straight and not do something crazy. Any and all words of wisdom you can offer me about this would be greatly appreciated. How reasonable does this price seem? What concerns would you have about this car, and should I keep looking?

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/1663909?ad_cid=6

By all means, PLEASE talk me out of this if it's a bad idea. I'm particularly worried about some huge yearly maintenance bill. I've asked about whether the 30,000 mile service has been done yet but I haven't heard back yet.

There are two problems I am aware of:

1. The spoiler doesn't lift up at speed. The hydraulics have been replaced, so we know they're not the problem.

2. The previous owner, for some bizarre reason, drilled two phillips head screws into the dead switches that would normally control the soft top on a cabriolet, supposedly because they were rattling. So the interior is mucked up a bit by those two screws. I find it hard to believe the previous owner couldn't find a better looking fix than drilling ugly screws into his interior though.

Other than that, the car seems great. They've got service records going back to its original purchase in Georgia.

I'm pretty concerned about finding booster seats that would fit my 3 and 5 year old boys for the back seat, but in perusing Rennlist it looks like others have found options that work. Any tips about that would be welcome too.

Thanks in advance, and again, I'm sorry for being "that guy" who shows up out of nowhere and starts peppering the forum with questions!
Old 10-13-2014, 09:35 PM
polarporsche.com
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

buy it. you wont regret it
Old 10-13-2014, 11:56 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, buy it and drive it straight to Miller next weekend looks great!
Old 10-14-2014, 12:28 AM
Wealth Manager
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a PPI done on the car outside of that dealership once you are serious about buying.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:16 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Spend the money and get PP!
Old 10-14-2014, 01:23 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 461 Likes on 300 Posts

I was just bugging the 996 TT guys for opinions a month ago (decided to pass on that white TT).

Based on the comments I got, the car you are looking at seems to be priced quite well.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:04 AM
SLC Tortfeasor
Instructor

Ugh, I was really hoping someone would try and talk me out of this. It is such a waste of money! Please someone be a voice of reason and save me from myself!

I think what sold me was effortlessly and accidentally hitting 100 just merging onto the freeway during my test drive.

I'll get a PPI done and try and haggle with the seller. Getting the price down a bit further will help me feel a bit better about pulling the trigger.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:31 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 461 Likes on 300 Posts

^^^ You won't think of it as a waste of money after you buy it. Honestly, you will think of it as the best money you ever spent.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:43 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the car lists an aftermarket exhaust. There are several that drone like crazy and will not make driving a pleasure. Europipe, Kline, Miltek are all good. Many others not so. Take it on the road, and cruise at 2500-3000 rpm, and see if you can hear the radio. Or, just budget for an exhaust system.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:12 AM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 259 Posts

Don't discard the spoiler not working so readily. Just because the hydraulics were replaced doesn't mean they're not the problem. I'd make having the spoiler fixed part of the conditions of the sale. It can easily turn into an expensive fix. The car has a flash, exhaust and questionable air filter given the sticker in the air box. Be sure to get the over revs readout done. Also the coolant tank looks like it's a prime candidate for replacement. Are you a DIYer or do you pay for having all the work done? A major service isn't bad at all if you do it yourself but is pricy if done at a service center.
This kind of purchase should be an exciting experience not a hand wrinkling, agonizing decision. If it's, "such a waste of money" then maybe the timing isn't right for you. Do you have college funds started for your kids? Retirement account? etc.? Only you can decide what's right for you and your family. Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:50 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

BUY IT! very clean. no regrets. the cars are NOT cheap to maintain, they are still once 100k+ porsches and parts are still the same as when new ( mostly ). then there's the modding! ack!!!

well worth every weekly groups of dollars LOL. its clean grab it!
Old 10-14-2014, 10:08 AM
Bates
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just replaced my spoiler hydraulics: $2,000 easy install. Repairs are much less expensive.
Carseats are easy - anchor is just under carpet on package shelf.
Boosters are a snap.

They all go fast. They all merge effortlessly at 100+. They will all make you drunk with power. "Waste of money"... you said it, not me.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:42 PM
5ive0
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say wait... unless you're getting it for a steal, but at 43k its priced right but not a steal.

I bought my 996tt two months ago and its been amazing.... but unless you've found a huge bargain, I would wait until you find one where everything works, and you have a solid history and no hesitation, or weird things...

lots of cool 996TT's out there, some with fairly interesting options and colour combos. Having said that, if you do get it, put a couple grand aside for the first year, and I'm sure you'll be completely satisfied.

About maintenance, its not that bad, I made a poll a little while ago, and was suprised at the result, ofcourse there are a million variables, but overall, the vast majority of people spent under $2k a year.

here is the link to that poll:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...nce-costs.html
Old 10-14-2014, 03:18 PM
SLC Tortfeasor
Instructor

Thanks for the input everyone, it is very valuable!

Status update: I talked the seller down to accepting $40,500, contingent on the outcome of the PPI.

I'm having a ball already. This is fun!
Old 10-14-2014, 03:23 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

That's a great price! Good luck with the PPI

Quick Reply: Apology and Should I Buy This 2001 996 Turbo