Sponsored by:

Spoiler failure warning light fix

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 10:40 PM
No SubstiTTute
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spoiler failure warning light fix

This fix stopped my spoiler failure warning light from coming on. I have a 2002 turbo. I have not seen this fix posted before so I will document it here. I installed JWeisser's fixed height stock spoiler solution after my right ram failed. This basically entails removing the hydraulic pump, gutting the rams and shimming the spoiler up with lengths of tubing placed inside the rams. I did not remove the spoiler dash switch. The spoiler warning dash light always activated above 75 mph and stayed lit until the car was turned off.

I used a quick splice connector to splice the black wire to the light grey wire going into one of the two microswiches that was attached to the right side ram. (IIRC this is the upper limit microswitch, as the wires to it off the harness is shorter. The other microswitch has a blue wire going to it. ) Problem solved. One could also close that switch, or cut the two wires and splice them to achieve the same result. No more warning light now after numerous runs above 75mph.

I enclosed some photos of the process. I had to modify a standard quick splice connector by drilling out the plastic on one side to allow both wires to pass through the connector. Hope this helps.
Attached Images     
Old 04-10-2011, 11:55 PM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 118 Posts

I did the fixed ramps and have never seen the light go on. I just put electrical tape on the prongs that connected into the spoiler before. That has worked for me.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:56 PM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

If anyone is looking for some nice OEM looking cnc fixed rams let me know I'll guide you to the right place.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:20 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blockhed
If anyone is looking for some nice OEM looking cnc fixed rams let me know I'll guide you to the right place.
I would like to know thanks
Old 04-19-2011, 11:23 PM
joyride5
Instructor

same here, where do i get the fixed rams? cost? pics?
Old 04-20-2011, 12:21 AM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

check PM dont want to break any rules here
Old 04-20-2011, 04:01 PM
larry47us
Pro

Yesterday, I was hauling down the road and as I slowed down, I got the warning lit message in my dash - "Spoiler Control Failure." I looked in my rear view mirror, and the spoiler was still extended. I tried to lower it manually -- nothing. Made my next stop at the grocery store.

Turned the engine off, and when I turned it on again, there was no error light, but the spoiler was still extended. I tried to lower it manually, and it went down just like normal. Started driving with no issues. Got up to speed, and the "spoiler control failure" light came on again. Looked back, and the spoiler was raised, but wouldn't drop back down again.

Went through the same routine - Stopped the car, turned it off. Turned the car back on again, could manually lower the spoiler.

So, is this a chronic problem with the car? Is it so expensive to fix that owners would rather "fix" the spoiler in an up position? How expensive is it to "fix" the "spoiler control failure?" How likely is it that it will just fail again?

TIA for the information.

larry
Old 04-20-2011, 04:48 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 146 Posts

Larry this was discussed many time since this problem is a common one. A complete system , pump and rams is over $1800.00 and some people decided to install the "fix" option which is about $200.00.

You will foind very good information Here: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ydraulics.html
Here: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...r-spoiler.html
Here: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ats-wrong.html
Here: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...cylinders.html
And finally here: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/93356-procedure-eliminate-malfunction-light-spoiler.html

In your case , may be one of the cylinder did not go up enough or the microswitch did not contact. This microswitch is located on the right ram (actuator). Sometimes, also, the switch assembly comes out and need to be push back in. (my case)
Old 04-20-2011, 06:59 PM
larry47us
Pro

JP:

Thanks for the information. I will do the requisite reading. For me, like everyone else, I would rather spend $200 to leave it "fixed" in the up position than spend $1,800 to fix it. I'll see what my wrench finds as the problem. Honestly, it will probably cost me more than $200 to have him do the diagnostic.

larry
Old 09-08-2014, 02:15 PM
King_James
Instructor

Sorry to raise the dead, just wanted to provide info for guys searching for a fix on this. This fix didn't work on my 2003 turbo unfortunately... Anybody else found anything to solve?
Old 09-15-2014, 06:21 PM
ND951
8th Gear

Same here, sorry this post is so old but can anyone shed any light on this subject? I have an 02 996 Turbo and my rams are leaking so I fixed my wing but now the light stays on. I used to method in this post to get the light to stay off and it just comes on every time I drive the car. Is there any other way to make this light stay off, short of removing the fuse?
Old 09-15-2014, 06:56 PM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 259 Posts

I pulled the little spring tab inside of each of the two micro relays on the right ram and unplugged the connector from the spoiler switch on the dash. Never got a light after doing that.
When I installed the GT2 decklid I got the wiring harness for the TT Aero decklid for a cleaner factory look being as it didn't have rams. Still no lights. The wiring harness runs around $180 or so.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:42 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 329 Posts

Bringing this back to life as I'm going to a fixed rear decklid (GT2) and will need to fix the issue of the warning light coming on. Based on the above, I have heard that this doesn't work on a 2003 but not sure. I also tried the last link from jpflip's post but I got an error from 6Speed saying the page no longer exists. Little help here please...
Old 05-18-2020, 07:17 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Roblin
Bringing this back to life as I'm going to a fixed rear decklid (GT2) and will need to fix the issue of the warning light coming on. Based on the above, I have heard that this doesn't work on a 2003 but not sure. I also tried the last link from jpflip's post but I got an error from 6Speed saying the page no longer exists. Little help here please...
May be here: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...t-spoiler.html
Old 05-19-2020, 06:41 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 329 Posts

Thanks jpflip, that should do it!

Quick Reply: Spoiler failure warning light fix