Sponsored by:

996 Turbo engine question

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 07:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Canuck714
Just to add a little more fodder to the ever raging oil debate. Most people here are worried that the inexpensive diesel oil will not work in their high performance car due to the higher heat and higher rpm...

Here is my personal experience with that scenario. Im not sure how familiar you are with today's hi-tech 4 cycle motocross engines, but they are direct descendants of F1 technology. Wrap your brain around this for a moment.... Titanium valves, Ti springs, slipper pistons and 450cc turning 10,000 RPM. Those of you who scoff at a dirt bike having any comparison to the beloved 911 need not worry. The little 450cc bike produces more HP per CC than the 3.6l turbo.... Yep, the 450 makes 52hp in stock form. 8.6hp per cc. The 3600cc turbo made 450hp, or 8hp per cc.

I ran Wal-Mart bought Shell Rotella 15/40 in all of my race bikes and never had an engine failure. Granted, I would change the oil frequently because it was cheap, but 9 times out of 10 it would come out as clean as when it went in. The Honda 450 had a sight glass so you could see the oil, and there was never an instance of the dreaded foaming. Surely, an engine that turns 10G's and is bouncing off the rev limiter every lap would be hard on oil??

Anyway, dont be afraid of running diesel oil, Im not.
You have to be careful. Not everyone drives his Turbo like you and I. Not everyone services his Turbo like you and I.

In Bike (UK published motorcycle mag) not too many years ago was an article on a motorcycle messager who really racked up the miles. I forget how many miles but some of his motorcycles racked up over several hundreds of thousands of miles and he had gone through many motorcycles. (I can't recall the various makes but they were multi-cylinder 4-stroke touring style motorcycles, almost all chain drive, though had had a few shaft drives in the mix.)

He'd average 3K to 5K miles per week, day in, day out.

Most times he got real good life out his motorcycles. He lost a few to crashes and one was so uncomfortable (vibration IIRC) he traded it in for something else.

He changed the oil in his motorcycle's engine every weekend. But he never used motorcycle oil but cheaper car oil. Still "good" oil but not as good as the premium oil specified for the motorcycles he used.

But the way he used the motorcycles, coupled with of course using not too bad an oil, and the change interval, and the engines would just last and last and last.

Same for this diesel oil vs. gas oil debate. I could probably run the diesel oil and have no troubles. But someone who perhaps uses his vehicle less, or more, or at least drives his vehicle harder at higher revs for longer periods of time, maybe with not as short of change interval as I follow, might not have as good a luck.

However, to each to his own. If someone wants to run a diesel engine oil in his Turbo I guess that's his business.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:01 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 212 Posts

Macster it seems like you don't endorse Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck from the sounds of it..

I'm going to paste here a clip from the Mobil engineer.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:50 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I moved from 0w-40 to 5w-40 2+ years ago...oil use fell 30%. Recently went to 5w-50...using 1/10th qt per 1000mi now. Was 1qt per 1100 mi more or less.

More quiet. Yada Yada Yada.
5w-50 is great stuff. Not sure why it is so hard to fine in the USA. I have been told that the Castrol 5w50 is not up to the task...but I'd confirm with Kevin.

Anyway, Kevin is correct here 100%. He's not making a dime on this advice guys...to the contrary, he would love you guys to need new engines..... He is a good guy and is trying to help us all out. Thank you Kevin!!!

Jeff
Old 10-22-2010, 12:57 PM
BostonDuce
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just for the record, Delvac 1, Delvac 1 ESP, Mobil 1 TDT oil are dual rated oils that carry both API ratings for gas and diesel engines.

There are diesel-only oils that are not rated for gasoline engines.

BD
Old 10-22-2010, 01:33 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Guys-

Not sure this is the best place, but I just ID'd a place in northern California for Mobil 1 products:

Mobil DELVAC 75W90
Mobil 1 5W50

Both these are NEVER available at auto parts places, always specialty shops.

Redwood Coast Petroleum
3111 Depot Road
Hayward, CA

Unfortunately only sell cases, so I have tranny fluid for life (4 gallons)

But restocked on 5w50.

A
Old 10-25-2010, 04:22 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Would the Diesel Oil be reccomended for a Boxster S engine or only the turbocharged engines?
I change my oil 2x per year. I put ~10k per year on the car and do one DE or Autocross per summer.
The car is the daily driver 4 days per week for 9 months of the year.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:39 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
Macster it seems like you don't endorse Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck from the sounds of it..

I'm going to paste here a clip from the Mobil engineer.
Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel oil is a good oil. When I had a turbo-charged diesel (VW Golf TDi) I ran Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel oil exclusively in the engine and AFAIK the oil performed just fine. The engine ran just as good the day I sold the car -- with over 125K miles on it -- as the day I bought teh car. Oil consumption nil, though I think this helped by the generally higher levels of fuel contamination that diesels are prone to, which is one reason why I changed the oil every 5K miles even though at the time VW spec'd a 10K oil change interval. But VW dropped this to 7500 miles when VW decided the area -- KC Mo -- was reclassified as a severe duty area.

Anyway the car averaged over 40mpgs, in all kinds of driving. Intake remained free of coking so common with that engine especially when lesser oils were used.

But simultaneously (I bought the Boxster in Jan 2002 and the TDi in March 2002) I ran an engine oil specifically intended for gasoline engines in my Boxster and have done so now for over 236K miles and I don't see any reason to mess with success. Therefore I can't endorse using a diesel (compression ignition) engine oil for a gasoline (spark ignition) engine.

But if someone wants to use a diesel engine oil and -- hopefully -- the oil at least agrees/meets with the oil requirements put forth by Porsche then that's his call.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:33 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Turbo Diesel Truck Oil was originally called "Porsche Racing Team Super Lemans Oil 5w-40 RS type" but they got paid off by nascar to do the diesel thing.

Let's just hope Walmart never hears about that...the stuff is 23$ for 5 qt jugs....

It is fine for our turbos.

Jeff
Old 10-26-2010, 05:24 PM
TurboTodd
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kevin.. thank you for your advise

I have 13 quarts of M1 0-40 for sale if anyone is interested....best offer
Old 10-28-2010, 05:05 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I just switched over to M1 5w40 Turbo Diesel Truck today from 5w50 after 3k miles on the M1 5w50. The car seems to run more smoothly- but I could be imagining things.

I figure I'll run it for 3k miles over the winter, compare oil analysis on the two oils, and then determine which one to stick with.

I do like that the diesel oil has more ZDDP in it... And the fact I can buy it locally rather than pay an arm and a leg for shipping.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:26 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 711 Likes on 357 Posts

I switched as well. Watching oil consumption carefully, car does seem a bit quieter. I'm in the middle of changing plugs and coils now...I should be good to go for a while now!

Kevin, thanks for all the advice!
Old 10-29-2010, 11:40 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PAULUNM
I just switched over to M1 5w40 Turbo Diesel Truck today from 5w50 after 3k miles on the M1 5w50. The car seems to run more smoothly- but I could be imagining things.

I figure I'll run it for 3k miles over the winter, compare oil analysis on the two oils, and then determine which one to stick with.

I do like that the diesel oil has more ZDDP in it... And the fact I can buy it locally rather than pay an arm and a leg for shipping.
A quick update after I've put some miles on the 5w40 M1 Turbo Diesel-

The noise at idle is WAAAY quieter... Like, it startled me that I couldn't hear the "rattle." This is after driving a while, when the noise used to be pretty noticeable.

Now, when I rev the motor to 1k, I can hear the noise, and above 1k it goes away again. With the 5w50 I could hear it at idle and at 1k, and it would go away when revved over 1k.

I was surprised at this- and I will keep you all posted if anything changes.

Oh, and when I cut my filter apart I didn't find a single spec of metal.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:19 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 212 Posts

Paul it is feedback like this that brings alot of people to threads like this.

There is a additive in the 5W40 Turbo Diesel Truck oil that is helping the chain and gear noise. Folks in heavy diesel engine there are very large gears turning multiple accessories like 300 and 400 amp alternators or 20HP A/C compressors. I for one have a 515HP Detroit Diesel engine that is running Mobil!

Back to what Paul is saying the oil shear protection is "very" good with the Mobil TDT oil. With the heat and added stress that the oil cooled turbochargers place on the oil, this oil is doing it's job.

Judd, you don't have the stresses that the turbo engines have. IF you track your car it would benificial for you to go to a higher weight. Increasing the oil changes per year is going to be the single most important thing that we can do for our engines. This includes every Porsche owner.

Paul can you take a picture of your cut open filter and post it?
Old 10-30-2010, 09:10 AM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 48 Posts

Kevin,

Would you change your recommedation for oil weight for cars driven in cold nasty winters??

Thanks

T2
Old 10-30-2010, 11:16 AM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kevin
Paul it is feedback like this that brings alot of people to threads like this.

There is a additive in the 5W40 Turbo Diesel Truck oil that is helping the chain and gear noise. Folks in heavy diesel engine there are very large gears turning multiple accessories like 300 and 400 amp alternators or 20HP A/C compressors. I for one have a 515HP Detroit Diesel engine that is running Mobil!

Back to what Paul is saying the oil shear protection is "very" good with the Mobil TDT oil. With the heat and added stress that the oil cooled turbochargers place on the oil, this oil is doing it's job.

Judd, you don't have the stresses that the turbo engines have. IF you track your car it would benificial for you to go to a higher weight. Increasing the oil changes per year is going to be the single most important thing that we can do for our engines. This includes every Porsche owner.

Paul can you take a picture of your cut open filter and post it?
Kevin, unfortunately I pitched the filter when I was done with it (at my mechanic's shop)- but it just looked like a new filter that had been soaked in oil... Nothing at all between the pleats on the inside or outside of the filter- I did look at all of the pleats very carefully.

Quick Reply: 996 Turbo engine question