Sponsored by:

996 GT3 Alignment/ Setup Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 06:54 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Default 996 GT3 Alignment/ Setup Thread

I have searched but did not find a thread with alignment / set up tech. So I am starting this thread, (if this is a duplicate, mods, please merge with the appropriate thread)

I am new to the GT3 ownership so looking for advice and experience with the setup. Certainly a lot goes into any given setup including driver preference and use for the car. If you know your setup and specifications please post it here. The more information the better.

Spring rates/dampers
Ride height front and rear, preferably measured as Porsche recommends,(to keep things comparable)
Camber, toe, caster settings
Sway bar setting
Corner weights
Tires
Primary/secondary use (street, track, both)

Also, include your opinion and experience with it.

I am getting ready to have mine done, and appreciate the input and collective experience of the members here.

My car has JRZ RS suspension 700#/900#. My research seems to point to 3* camber front, 2.8* rear, 0 toe, caster??. Front bar 4th hole from soft, rear 2nd hole. Front ride ht 95mm, rear 130mm. Tires not sure yet, leaning to A7's for track, have Sumitomo for street.

Car is street and some track.

Thanks in Advance.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:06 PM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome, you're going to enjoy the 996GT3.

This is an old topic that's been pretty well sorted out by now. Probably the best search will be "Kussmaul" in this forum. Bob Rouleau managed to get set up data from Roland Kussmaul and Bob shared it with the RL community many years ago. Still applies
Old 05-07-2016, 08:56 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Search failed me, thanks for the proper term

In case anyone else is crap at search like me here is the R Kussmaul setup.

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...-alignment.doc

Obviously a well regarded place to start. Still interested on individual variances.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 05-07-2016, 09:06 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I saved these specs a while ago:

Roland Kussmaul Specs:

Front axle:
Camber: -2.5º
Max camber difference, left/right: 5'

Toe total: +5'
Toe difference at 20° lock: -1°20' +/- 30'

Caster: 8° +/- 30'
Max caster difference, left/right: 30'

Front height: 115mm
Swaybar – 1 from hard

Rear axle:
Toe total: 35’ +/- 2'
Max toe difference, left/right: 5'

Camber: -2.3° +/- 5'
Max camber difference, left/right: 10'

Rear height: 128mm
Swaybar – 1 from hard

They can be found here
Old 05-07-2016, 10:19 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 210 Posts

These are mine:

Front Axle:
Camber -3.8
Toe 0.5 out each side

Rear:
Camber -2.9
Toe 2.5 in each side

Not sure of the spring rates but heavier than standard. Sway bars two notches from stiffest setting front and rear.

The car is very pointy, yet predictable with these settings. Zero understeer.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:05 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by spiller
These are mine:

Front Axle:
Camber -3.8
Toe 0.5 out each side

Rear:
Camber -2.9
Toe 2.5 in each side

Not sure of the spring rates but heavier than standard. Sway bars two notches from stiffest setting front and rear.

Must be VERY twitchy with that much camber, but stick like a demon in the turns on track

You are tracking this setup right?
Old 05-09-2016, 04:01 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Backmarker
Must be VERY twitchy with that much camber, but stick like a demon in the turns on track

You are tracking this setup right?
Oh yeah, not a great deal of fun on rough, cambered roads, and it likes to move around in the braking zones on the track but boy does it turn in.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:11 AM
Astrix
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 66 Posts

In my 7-3 I had alignment in the mid 3's camber, car is too nervous for the road like that.. dialled it out to 2.5~ F&R and it feels much better as a road car, almost same alignment as my 996.2 gt3.

I have tracked it on R's with this alignment and its just not enough camber, don't get me wrong it feels good but it could have done with what I dialled out of it.

I think you need to make a decision and have it setup either one way or the other to be honest.

Sway bar setting is the other thing to consider, they also are not the same for road & track.

Cheers
Old 05-09-2016, 07:37 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Astrix
In my 7-3 I had alignment in the mid 3's camber, car is too nervous for the road like that.. dialled it out to 2.5~ F&R and it feels much better as a road car, almost same alignment as my 996.2 gt3.

I have tracked it on R's with this alignment and its just not enough camber, don't get me wrong it feels good but it could have done with what I dialled out of it.

I think you need to make a decision and have it setup either one way or the other to be honest.

Sway bar setting is the other thing to consider, they also are not the same for road & track.

Cheers
I couldn't agree more, there is no perfect compromise. You have to decide what you enjoy doing most with your car and set it up for that purpose.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:57 AM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Originally Posted by spiller
These are mine:

Front Axle:
Camber -3.8
Toe 0.5 out each side

Rear:
Camber -2.9
Toe 2.5 in each side

Thanks, do you know your ride height and caster? What tires are you running on the track?
Old 05-09-2016, 09:07 AM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Originally Posted by Astrix

Cheers
For sure it is always a compromise between street and track. I am not out to set lap records, but want it to be fun on both the street and track. For a data point, I have a bone stock 87 Carrera that is great on the street, and fun at the track, even though it is way to soft in that environment. This car is for sure more aggressive, but I don't want to dial out all the street ability, been there done that with a 944 turbo. It was great on the track but horrible on the street. That is why I am looking for real world experiences and data.

Astrx, what are/were your other settings? Spring rates, toe, caster, ride height, and bar settings where you were happy with it on the street? Also what tires for track and street?

Thanks, really appreciate the insights.

Jeff
Old 05-09-2016, 09:42 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

To really get close you need to 100% decide on a tire. You mention A7's...that's an auto-x compound tire and the only track guys I've seen run it are running time trials where they run 3-4 laps at a time and then quit. Run R7 not A7 unless you are trying to compete.

also you mention front ride height of 95mm...thats REAL low...like problems driving on the street low. I run mine at around 103mm and it requires tie rod ends with bump steer correction due to the ride height. With the splitter attached it's barely manageable to drive on the street...have to be really aware of taking angles when approaching any incline.

With that much spring and it sounds like you are going to run Hoosiers...3 degrees of camber isn't going to be enough in the front. It'd work out for a Nitto but you're going to cord the outside edges of the Hoosiers at the track with that setup.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:44 AM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
To really get close you need to 100% decide on a tire. You mention A7's...that's an auto-x compound tire and the only track guys I've seen run it are running time trials where they run 3-4 laps at a time and then quit. Run R7 not A7 unless you are trying to compete.

also you mention front ride height of 95mm...thats REAL low...like problems driving on the street low. I run mine at around 103mm and it requires tie rod ends with bump steer correction due to the ride height. With the splitter attached it's barely manageable to drive on the street...have to be really aware of taking angles when approaching any incline.

With that much spring and it sounds like you are going to run Hoosiers...3 degrees of camber isn't going to be enough in the front. It'd work out for a Nitto but you're going to cord the outside edges of the Hoosiers at the track with that setup.
Thanks, I was thinking R7 and typed A7. But not married to that if that is going to put me in a place where the street dynamics are going to be compromised too much. If to make the A7's work I need to run a camber and setup that is going to be crap on the street, then I will probably look for another tire. I am not a track junkie anymore, 2 to 4 track days a year is as much as I have time for. I do not mind a compromised street experience as long as it is still fun to drive at speed limit speeds. Too track oriented and I suspect it won't be fun to drive at anything less than full tilt boogie.

I don't want to do an alignment every time I go to the track eithe; outside my area of expertise to myself, and too much of a PIA to have someone else do (cost/fun ratio starts to get out of whack for me)

My thought is 95 is too low as well, that is just one recommendation, roads are pretty good here, but we have speed bumps and humps.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:36 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

FWIW...I ran Nitto's forever and still always go to the track with a set with me. They're fast enough that in a well driven GT3 you'll still be faster than 90% of the cars out there. They like alot of slip angle...if that's not something you are comfortable with you will not be that fast on them. Best part is because they aren't super sticky they don't require that aggressive of an alignment.

Here is the setup I ran with just nitto's.

JRZ 3-ways
600/750 springs
-3.0 camber front / -2.3 camber rear
105mm / 125mm ride height
.05 toe front / .20 toe rear (measurements are PER SIDE)
Front sway -1 from full stiff
Rear sway full soft

I'd flip the tires on the rim at about half of their life and in the end they would cord in the middle of the tires.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:38 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Thanks Andy.

Good info there.

Did you drive it on the street with that set up? If so, your impression?

My springs rates are higher (700/900 as noted), JRZ's are single adjustable, so already a little harsher set up. I have the stock suspension, but don't think I want to put it back on.

Quick Reply: 996 GT3 Alignment/ Setup Thread