Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 01:29 PM
Bringebaer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feedback on 996 with relatively high mileage

Hello Everyone,

I'm a long time lurker, now member.

I've always liked the 996 and feel that it represents a good value in terms of looks, performance and pedigree.

I am curious to see if any current 996 owners/experts would be able to provide me with any feedback on a local car (to me at least)?

Here is the link: 996 MK1 2001

The car has some cosmetic issues. Among them a cracked/scratched front bumper, some wear on shift ****, missing/destroyed cup holders, curbed wheels and is in need of a paint restoration/buff. I called LN engineering and they have no record of the IMS having been replaced. It's a 1 owner car with some service history. Since I'm not a mechanic I am looking to have PPI done.

My goal is to use it as a daily commuter and maintain it until it completely falls apart. If I could get 20k miles out of it I would be happy.

If anyone could provide me with their initial thoughts I would be most grateful.

Thank you and have a lovely day,
Bringebaer
Old 03-16-2017, 01:33 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 415 Likes on 194 Posts

What's your budget? I think you can get a nicer, lower mileage example with service records for $18-$22K. IMO worth spending a little more up front.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:40 PM
Bringebaer
Intermediate

Thank you for your reply. Yes, it seems you can get a pretty pristine example for 18-20k, but living in the city I would just hate to come back to my car dinged/scratched up. This one is a bit scruffy so I wouldn't feel so bad (if that makes sense). It also has some desirable options like the painted center console and what I believe are the sports seats (I don't like the ruffled leather seats).

My impression from reading a lot of threads is that one possible factor to the IMS bearing going bad could be a lack of use resulting in the lubrication inside the bearing going rancid (you all know much more about this than me).

My research shows that the retail price is roughly in line with KBB/Edmunds values, but that the selling price of similar cars from a retailer should be in the 11-13k range (which is what I would aim for).

Thank you again.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:48 PM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Seems a fair price for a fair car that needs a little TLC. But, it's a tiptronic so it's not as desirable for most who are into these cars.

As a 2001 model, it most likely has the single row bearing... but at that mileage if it hasn't already been an issue, one has to wonder if it ever will be???

Still, there are two cars in my area that are manual tranny, with under 100k miles available for less. And one even has had IMS, RMS, clutch and mounts swapped already.

IMHO, that's a $13k car all day long. You can do better.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:51 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

that car for 11k doesn't seem bad. It needs engine mounts (saggy exhaust tips) & the cosmetic issues you noted should help negotiate.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:07 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Couple notes about the car: its listed as an auto but its a 6 speed (which is a worth more) but makes me wonder what else is incorrect about the listing. Tires look to be in good shape, it has a painted center console which is a plus. It looks like exhaust is sagging which could (probably/definitely) means you need to replace the rear engine mounts, but thats a relatively easy DIY job that will cost between $120-350 in parts depending on if you go aftermarket or genuine Porsche.

Some notes in general. There are a few things I've read on the forums that ring true: 1. "There is nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche" and 2. "Cars are machines designed to fail". Eventually everything wears out and breaks - it comes down to where on that curve you buy the car. High mileage cars aren't necessarily bad. For example, you may be buying a higher mileage Porsche that has recently had the clutch, RMS, etc replaced. In that case, its a better deal than one that has those original parts and will need to have them replaced almost immediately after you buy it. So, I guess what I'm trying to articulate is that a higher mileage, well maintained car can be a better deal than a lower mileage well maintained car if its just been gone through and some key wear parts have been replaced... and its definitely a better deal than a low mileage neglected car.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:24 PM
Bringebaer
Intermediate

Thank you all for the quick and very helpful replies. Especially your notes about the sagging exhaust (it has the x54 stainless tips options according to the option sticker). The option sticker also notes the interior as "AD" which according to my research should indicate a black interior. However, Porsche NA also confirmed that the build spec had a grey interior. Coupled with the 249 code (which could be z49, hard to tell) makes me wonder. Regardless, not a big deal to me as long as it is not related to the soundness of the mechanicals.

For the benefit of others, what tipped you off on the exhaust tips/bad engine mounts
? The distance from the bumper cut out to the exhaust tips?

Charlieaf92:
That was my thought process as well. High mileage, but maintained. Hopefully some of the more expensive wear and tear items have been covered (see attached carfax with service history) so I can have a relatively smooth ride for a year or so until the rug is inevitably swept from underneath my feet. The next service interval is in the 140k range from what I've read up on.

Will a leakdown/compression test be able to indicate impending d-chunk, ovaling or AOS issues?

CARFAX Report

Thank you very much once again!
Old 03-16-2017, 02:54 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

What is it specifically about that car that interests you?

'01, 115k miles, $15k
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/6044288613.html

'99, 140k miles, $13k (IMS/clutch done)
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/6021287668.html

etc... These are not rare cars.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:03 PM
Bringebaer
Intermediate

VitaminC,

This car is in the City, so it is easier for me to go look at it. It is also at a dealership which makes things a bit cleaner with regards to settlement etc.

In addition, it has the litronics headlights (makes a huge difference in my personal opinion). Also, there aren't any apparent modifications (wheels, stereo etc) that I would have to remedy.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:26 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Bringebaer
For the benefit of others, what tipped you off on the exhaust tips/bad engine mounts
? The distance from the bumper cut out to the exhaust tips?
I have different exhaust tips - so this may not translate exactly.... but after replacing my engine mount the highest point on the exhaust tip was 3/4" from the bumper directly above it.

Cheers
Charlie
Old 03-16-2017, 03:38 PM
mjdavis
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

That's a great shift ****. Pretty expensive part from Carnewal.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:42 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Hello Everyone,

I'm a long time lurker, now member.

I've always liked the 996 and feel that it represents a good value in terms of looks, performance and pedigree.

I am curious to see if any current 996 owners/experts would be able to provide me with any feedback on a local car (to me at least)?

Here is the link: 996 MK1 2001

The car has some cosmetic issues. Among them a cracked/scratched front bumper, some wear on shift ****, missing/destroyed cup holders, curbed wheels and is in need of a paint restoration/buff. I called LN engineering and they have no record of the IMS having been replaced. It's a 1 owner car with some service history. Since I'm not a mechanic I am looking to have PPI done.

My goal is to use it as a daily commuter and maintain it until it completely falls apart. If I could get 20k miles out of it I would be happy.

If anyone could provide me with their initial thoughts I would be most grateful.

Thank you and have a lovely day,
Bringebaer
Check out the car very thoroughly. It was offered for sale back in Nov. 2016.

See link:

http://www.getauto.com/2001/porsche/...ails_161926347

Date of listing is given at bottom of vehicle details block.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:48 PM
Bringebaer
Intermediate

Wow, all great advice.

Live and learn as they say.

Macster, good point. It was however listed for $17,999 and even more for the longest time. I believe that might help explain why it has been sitting for so long. As a result it fell in a weird bracket of cars with much lower mileage and that were in better cosmetic condition.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:41 PM
Volkert
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks to me as a reasonable car! Make sure you got 3k$ left for some additional repairs if necessary. Some repairs were done last year but probably it would need a good maintenance done. If you can have a good PPI done you will have a reasonable idea what you are getting into. Then go and drive & enjoy. Don't worry about IMS, RMS, sagging exhausts (who cares!) and all that stuff. This is not a pristine car, it is not what you are looking for and it would be a waste of money if you try to get close to that.

Just my 2c.

Last edited by Volkert; 03-16-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:07 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Have you seen it in person and/or driven it yet? If possible, you should drive a few different 996's so you can get a feel for them.

That's potentially a lot of money for 20k miles of use.

Quick Reply: Feedback on 996 with relatively high mileage