996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

FOB blinking slowly.. not recognizing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 11:01 PM
SubzeroX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FOB blinking slowly.. not recognizing?

I think I've dropped my key FOB one too many times. The battery harness came undone (broke?). Anyhow, how I put it together in the key housing, it doesn't work (poor connection I'm assuming). However, when inhave it out and the battery on the circuit board, I click the buttons and it lights up. Battery is new. So I take it by the car and try to unlock it, it's not recognizing. I put it by the ignition and try, still no luck.

It blinks slowly.. on and off. Before, when I pressed it, it would blink very quickly and lock/unlock the car.

Whats the issue? How'd it happen all of a sudden?

http://imgur.com/emGJAoN
Old 03-07-2017, 11:57 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

There are many tricks to getting it to work again, none of which have worked for me. There is a DIY on Renntech for resoldering the chip, that is supposed to work but I haven't tried it yet.

Do a search here for the various methods from reversing the battery to going through a start-up procedure. Good luck. It's amazing that a key fob for a $100k car doesn't work but the one for a VW Bug works every time.

Last edited by wyovino; 03-08-2017 at 12:34 AM.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:38 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by wyovino
It's amazing that a key fob for a $100k car doesn't work but the one for a VW Bug works every time.
Yep. Never had a fob go bad for any of my numerous cars, ever, except the 996. %$#!&

OP, do some searches and try some of the suggestions. None worked for me, either.

Quick Reply: FOB blinking slowly.. not recognizing?