Sponsored by:

Radio Gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 11:47 PM
mse
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Radio Gremlins

I've done some searching and haven't seen an answer to this issue, so I'm coming to you all for your thoughts.

I have a 2003 C2 with the Bose stereo package and a CDR-23 headunit. On my way home tonight, I tried to turn on the radio and it would not advance beyond the boot screen. I could hear sounds like a CD starting up and then the radio shut down. A couple of seconds later, it shut down on its own and then powered back up. I thought it might be an issue with the CD and tried to eject it, but the CD would come out about and inch and then go back into the unit. I was able to get the CD out, but I could hear the eject mechanism working back and forth while the radio powered on and off. This occurred during the 30 minutes it took to get back home.

I tried turning of the car to reset the radio, but it would continue cycling on and off. I was finally able to get the radio to turn off when I got home by locking the car.

Radio worked just fine this morning. Any thoughts?

I've been thinking about getting a new head unit and this may finally force the issue, but I'm wondering if any one ever encountered this issue and how it may have been fixed.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:55 AM
thebowl
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn't have the exact ejection issue you describe, but my CDR-23 had a habit of refusing to reboot. The best advice I received was to turn it off before turning the car off. This worked some, but not always.

I got rid of mine. I really don't think it is worth saving.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:27 PM
mse
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I'll try that and see if anything changes.

FWIW, it worked just fine this morning...go figure.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:00 PM
thebowl
Instructor

Originally Posted by mse
Thanks for the advice. I'll try that and see if anything changes.

FWIW, it worked just fine this morning...go figure.
Oh, there is no rhyme nor reason to it. Gremlins, like you said.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:35 PM
Device2
Racer

I have a few gremlins in my stock CDR-220 unit too, my issue is associated with the station tuner ****. It occasionally likes to jump stations back and forth when trying to select or toggle to an individual station. It does it when trying to select a track on CD changer mode too. My interim fix was to slightly pull the **** out so it mates whatever contact surface it needs to be able to toggle to the next station properly without jumping into some random one that is 7 or 10 digits off. Both advance and backwards on the selection range. Might have to open up the unit and check and see what is going on with the tuner **** dial assembly or the contacts beneath it.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:56 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 153 Posts

My unit is haunted too. Once in a while It gets tired of my taste in music and switches from CD to radio. Adult contemporary stations.

Quick Reply: Radio Gremlins