996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Florida over 100mph ticket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 11:13 AM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It depends on the county. Mrs. Gator is the traffic court judge in my county. If you get stopped here in my county, you may avoid the ride to jail but bring your checkbook to court. She's brutal.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:07 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Rarely see anyone pulled over on 95 for speeding, the norm is 80 if traffic is flowing. You need eyes in back of your head around here. Superbikes riding wheelies in HOV lane while standing, never once have seen them pulled over. You need to be a special kind of idiot to get the troopers to chase you. But you're halfway there if your renting a red fiat. Homestead DE this weekend with PDG on Sunday by the way. Go pose with the other fiats.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:51 PM
Vdubjetta02
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have (1) ticket for doing 17 MPH over the speed limit and

I have (1) ticket for reckless driving because I did not brake at an intersection and took the corner at 40 MPH, tires scretched just a little and there was a motorcycle cop at the intersection. He busted me for reckless driving because I took a corner at the speed limit. Thought it was dumb but didn't want to take the time to fight it.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:07 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by jaetee
I'm not going be much assistance here, other than to advise you to download the WAZE app and use together with a radar detector. WAZE has saved my butt at least three times since I downloaded it in September. Don't rely just on a radar/laser detector. Sometimes the cops will be shut down until they visually isolate you, and if they are using laser your goose will be cooked, as the saying goes. And if you are in the middle of a pack of cars and grab their attention, they will ignore the other cars and pull you out. Even more likely in a red Ferrari vs. a Porsche 911.

The only time I ever got clocked doing over 100 was about 15 years ago and it probably ranks up there as 2nd luckiest traffic cop moment in my life. It was 2:30am and I was on my way home on the stretch of I-275 called the Howard Frankland Bridge, which connects Tampa and St.Petersburg across Tampa Bay.

I was driving an '88 Acura Legend coupe and had a European "D" (Deutschland) country sticker on the back of the car. Lucky for me, the cop was former military and had spent time in Germany and recognized the sticker and asked me my connection to Germany and why I was going so fast. I told him I been out with friends as the designated driver that night, and because I had an appointment to take my car in for scheduled maintenance the next day I was giving it somewhat of a shake-down run. And with the complete lack of traffic I allowed myself to get got caught up in an autobahn-flashback... He actually laughed at my response and we ended up chatting for almost 20 minutes. It was like he was holding me hostage to talk about driving in Europe and how much he missed driving his old BMW sedan on the autobahn from his service years of being stationed there as well. He was, by far, the coolest cop I've ever dealt with. In the end, he told me he had radioed my plate in for speeding prior to getting out of his cruiser, so he was obligated to ink a ticket. He also told me that under normal circumstances I would have likely ended up in the county clink for reckless driving or endangerment. Instead, I got a ticket for doing 82 in a 70. That was, by far, the happiest speeding ticket I ever wrote a check for.

If you do get pulled over going that fast, maybe tell the cop you're Vladimir Putin's nephew and are on your way to Donald Trump's house in South Florida... Maybe you'll get lucky? Let us know how that works out for you.
Wow, my Mom had an '87 Acura Legend with BBS wheels and a factory CD player.

Every time I use WAZE or a radar detector, I get pulled over. It gives me a false sense of security and keeps me from paying really close attention to where cops might be sitting.

To to be honest, I'm glad that not all cops automatically put you in jail for 30+ over. Speed is always a factor in a dangerous situation, but driver skill, equipment, conditions, also play a part. I'd rather have a hefty fine than feel like a criminal for driving fast.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:09 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the replies from FL people.

The issue with 30+ is not just the fine, it is the nature of the ticket. If you get convicted for M, then you HAVE BEEN CONVICTED OF THE CRIME. And every job application (Cali is exception I think) requires you to click the "yes" box to the related question and explain it.

In AZ, the laws are pretty silly when it comes to speed. Although the interstate speed limit is 75mph, driving 85mph+ is an automatic "criminal speed" misdemeanor with 3 points attached. A lot of visitors stick to the +10 rule and think if they get caught it is a regular "I" ticket, but then they get a shock of "mandatory appearance" and 3 points heading their way.

From lawyers: The most common penalty is usually a fine and a conviction on your record. The real issue is the conviction. While fines are painful, they’re momentary. But a conviction on your record lasts forever. For some reason, the Arizona legislature made it impossible to set aside a criminal speeding violation. Once convicted, you can’t get it off your record, ever. That’s harsh

Last edited by Kalashnikov; 01-20-2017 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:27 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator996
It depends on the county. Mrs. Gator is the traffic court judge in my county. If you get stopped here in my county, you may avoid the ride to jail but bring your checkbook to court. She's brutal.
When Mrs. Gator is riding with Mr. Gator, what does Mrs. Gator do to Mr. Gator when he is speeding in his Porsche?

Let me guess... your checkbook too?
Old 01-20-2017, 04:05 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,093 Likes on 703 Posts

Let's just make it official http://www.dmvflorida.org/speeding-ticket.shtml
If you are over 100 mph on the interstate, mandatory court appearance, and there will be additional fines and court costs.

Scenario 1: On the interstate, Florida Highway Patrol pulls you over and said he got you at 105 mph, hands you a ticket and you have to show up in court. Non criminal traffic infraction.
Scenario 2: On the interstate, Florida Highway Patrol pulls you over and said he got you at 105 mph, cites you for either reckless driving or aggressive driving and speeding, impounds your car and gives you a ride to the local jail for booking where you get a subsequent court date. Criminal misdemeanor traffic violation with possible jail time, ticket costs and court costs
Scenario 3: On the interstate, Florida Highway Patrol pulls you over and said he got you at 99 mph, hands you a ticket and you pay the ticket cost of around $300. Mailing a check or paying online is accepted.

Don't speed. The traffic flow on I-95 and I-75 is around 80 mph (speed limit of 70) and generally, if you are going with the flow, they tend to ignore you, unless, the Trooper had a bad night with the missus or feels a need to make a roadside example. They will pick out a Porsche every time, because, everybody loves to see a Porsche pulled over and the Trooper figures if you have the car then you have the money. Great revenue generator. Same for any exotic car.
Same mostly applies to the Florida Turnpike (Orlando to Miami) as well, except I have found the traffic flow is more in the 80-90 mph range. Do not speed in the panhandle (redneck troopers) or near the greater Miami area (congested and closely watched with traffic cameras).

FHP Troopers drive both marked and unmarked vehicles. Marked stand out like a sore thumb. Unmarked range from Dodge Challengers to SUV's and even some exotic cars confiscated from drug dealers. They either go with the flow of traffic, or sit in obscure locations along the interstate. The center medians are heavily vegetated and they have hidey holes so you don't even see them until you look and are right on them, and they fire their laser directly at you.

Last edited by DBJoe996; 01-20-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:13 PM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Wow, my Mom had an '87 Acura Legend with BBS wheels and a factory CD player.

Every time I use WAZE or a radar detector, I get pulled over. It gives me a false sense of security and keeps me from paying really close attention to where cops might be sitting.

To to be honest, I'm glad that not all cops automatically put you in jail for 30+ over. Speed is always a factor in a dangerous situation, but driver skill, equipment, conditions, also play a part. I'd rather have a hefty fine than feel like a criminal for driving fast.
I've owned 7 acuras in the last 22 years. IMHO, they are easily among the best "other" cars out there. In addition to my 996, I currently own a 2005 RL (sold around the world as the Honda Legend) which has been a fantastic car to drive and maintain.

Anyway, regarding radar detectors and waze, I can see how it is all to easy to let one's guard down due to a false sense of security. I got my first radar detector in 1990 after moving here from Germany and promply got a ticket a week later. Lesson learned.... But the flip side of that is that if I had a ticket for every time my radar or waze saved my butt, I'd proably not have a drivers license and definitely wouldn't have a Porsche.

As an admitted habitual speeder I've trained myself to pretty much always drive with defensive paranoia at the forefront of my mind, and try really hard to never let my guard down, I use those devices to help my eyes, not replace them. This helps with cops and with idiot drivers as well.

I contend that the faster I drive, the more aware and alert I am to what's going on around me. And it's tough driving in FL without speeding. If you're going the speed limit outside of a neighborhood around where I live, you're basically a moving speedbump. Pretty much EVERYBODY is usually going 10-15mph over in zones that have 45mph and higher speed limits. And more often than not, cops will simply let traffic flow unless it's the end of the month and they have quota to fill, or they see a car (or something about that car) that strikes the cop as particularly intersting.

On interstates, I always slow down going over bridges and when I approach exits, truck weigh stations, or move into areas where there are changes in topography. If there are trees in the median, I won't drive as fast as I would in areas where you have unobstructed sight. I also always look in my rear view mirror when I pass an on-ramp. I have seen cops pull onto the interstate behind me many times and had to resort to delicate pulls of the e-brake to avoide drawing attention to the fact that I was speeding. That also helps if you drive past a cop. Worst thing to show them is brake lights.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:32 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jaetee
I've owned 7 acuras in the last 22 years. IMHO, they are easily among the best "other" cars out there. In addition to my 996, I currently own a 2005 RL (sold around the world as the Honda Legend) which has been a fantastic car to drive and maintain.

Anyway, regarding radar detectors and waze, I can see how it is all to easy to let one's guard down due to a false sense of security. I got my first radar detector in 1990 after moving here from Germany and promply got a ticket a week later. Lesson learned.... But the flip side of that is that if I had a ticket for every time my radar or waze saved my butt, I'd proably not have a drivers license and definitely wouldn't have a Porsche.

As an admitted habitual speeder I've trained myself to pretty much always drive with defensive paranoia at the forefront of my mind, and try really hard to never let my guard down, I use those devices to help my eyes, not replace them. This helps with cops and with idiot drivers as well.

I contend that the faster I drive, the more aware and alert I am to what's going on around me. And it's tough driving in FL without speeding. If you're going the speed limit outside of a neighborhood around where I live, you're basically a moving speedbump. Pretty much EVERYBODY is usually going 10-15mph over in zones that have 45mph and higher speed limits. And more often than not, cops will simply let traffic flow unless it's the end of the month and they have quota to fill, or they see a car (or something about that car) that strikes the cop as particularly intersting.

On interstates, I always slow down going over bridges and when I approach exits, truck weigh stations, or move into areas where there are changes in topography. If there are trees in the median, I won't drive as fast as I would in areas where you have unobstructed sight. I also always look in my rear view mirror when I pass an on-ramp. I have seen cops pull onto the interstate behind me many times and had to resort to delicate pulls of the e-brake to avoide drawing attention to the fact that I was speeding. That also helps if you drive past a cop. Worst thing to show them is brake lights.
I drive almost exactly the way you describe. But I'm not afraid to brake really hard if no one is behind me. For some reason, the cops don't pull me over for this. Maybe they aren't looking for the nose dive, or maybe they didn't.peg me those times.

Getting back to the criminal offense point, I really think this should change in the US. If people want safer roads, we need to focus on driverless cars, but also, driver training, special licensing classes, etc. Putting someone in jail for going 100 is too harsh indeed. The best thing anyone can do is to hire a lawyer and argue for any lesser crime, supervision, higher fines, driver school, etc.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:36 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 173 Posts

invoke diplomatic immunity

quote Putin
Old 01-20-2017, 04:43 PM
m3driver
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Special licenses so drivers can drive faster is a dumb idea, speeding up to a point is just a civil infraction, however at 100mph, it should be considered criminal. Have you ever seen what happenes to a car doing 100 when it hits a car doing 70? That 100mph car will blow through the 70mph car like a hot knife through butter. Driver skill, vehicle capabilities, bla, bla, bla. I don't care if people speed when the road is open, but when there is other traffic on the road it's down right selfish. Speed absolutely kills, and put innocent people in danger because people think they are great drivers. In reality, **** happens, things break, people make mistakes. I'd much rather have those things happen at slower speed when you are out there sharing the road with me, my family and loved ones.

This is not Germany, we do not have the same driving habits as the krauts so a speedless highway would never work.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:50 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by m3driver
Have you ever seen what happenes to a car doing 100 when it hits a car doing 70? That 100mph car will blow through the 70mph car like a hot knife through butter.
Answer: Watch this video.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=znDw4iSEObQ

and this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCm7Y76GgkM
Old 01-20-2017, 05:19 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

I don't think it makes sense to have blanket statements about speed calling it criminal. There's a difference between T-boning a car in the city at 100mph vs driving across the desert on a highway designed for 115mph speeds (and designed to land an aircraft on in case of emergency) when there's a divided highway when there's hardly anyone around, save for the other people on the road that are also driving 90+. It's not black and white.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:52 PM
Astro
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

It's all relative. I drive on the Autobahn in Germany all the time and it's a completely different situation than driving here in the US. It's no issue at all going 100+ on the Autobahn because people expect it and without a doubt are better drivers than what we have here. That being said I've taken my 911 to the century mark and beyond many times here in the US, but it tends to be more nerve wracking since not only are you dealing with the legal issue, we have way too many idiots out driving around.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:13 PM
m3driver
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm all for blanket statements when it comes to a public roads shared by everyone. I also don't care if people speed on those same road when they are out there by themselves. If speeding is so important to you, the answer is easy. Take it to a track

Quick Reply: Florida over 100mph ticket?