996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

LN dual Row questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 01:43 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

This specific case reads as if it would fail pre-qualification anyway.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:24 AM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
The 75k service interval for the dual row bearing is just that. It doesn't mean the bearing will fail at 75k miles, but rather that it has reached the service life for the application based on operating hours.

The factor single row 6204 bearing with inverted race operation is only 1500 hours.

If you want to do this once, then install the IMS Solution and there are no more service intervals.
75k miles could be a range of operating hours, depending on speed and traffic, right? 75 mph average would only be 1000 hour operating time?

Do you do an average speed to get the 75k figure?
Old 09-09-2016, 11:46 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodman71
75k miles could be a range of operating hours, depending on speed and traffic, right? 75 mph average would only be 1000 hour operating time?

Do you do an average speed to get the 75k figure?
To find the average speed of one of these cars look at the operating hours logged in the ECU, then use that figure to divide by the mileage that's on the odometer. This will give the average speed of the vehicle over it's entire life.

I do this with every car we see, and log the data. Cars that are driven in the city will see an average MPH of 25.5-28 MPH, those that are normally driven with street and highway miles will be between 28-33 MPH, and those that see a lot of freeway driving will usually be 33-36 MPH. If I see a higher speed than 38 MPH average, I know the car has either lived its whole life on the open road above 80 MPH on the freeway, or it has been to the track a good bit.

The highest average speed I have ever recorded from a street car was 43 MPH and that came from a car that saw its whole life on the freeway in Texas.

Keeping these logs help us watch the way that customer's drive our engines compared to how they drove the car before we built the engine. It also was the main factor in determining the recommended mileage intervals that the IMSR products should see, based from their recommended hourly service intervals.

Cars spend all their time going 0-60 more than anything, so to have averages in the high 20s to low 30s is the absolute norm.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:02 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
To find the average speed of one of these cars look at the operating hours logged in the ECU, then use that figure to divide by the mileage that's on the odometer. This will give the average speed of the vehicle over it's entire life. I do this with every car we see, and log the data. Cars that are driven in the city will see an average MPH of 25.5-28 MPH, those that are normally driven with street and highway miles will be between 28-33 MPH, and those that see a lot of freeway driving will usually be 33-36 MPH. If I see a higher speed than 38 MPH average, I know the car has either lived its whole life on the open road above 80 MPH on the freeway, or it has been to the track a good bit. The highest average speed I have ever recorded from a street car was 43 MPH and that came from a car that saw its whole life on the freeway in Texas. Keeping these logs help us watch the way that customer's drive our engines compared to how they drove the car before we built the engine. It also was the main factor in determining the recommended mileage intervals that the IMSR products should see, based from their recommended hourly service intervals. Cars spend all their time going 0-60 more than anything, so to have averages in the high 20s to low 30s is the absolute norm.
Very informative- thanks Jake!
Old 09-09-2016, 12:39 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Vertex joined this interesting discussion and shared their data and experiences of durability testing?

Quick Reply: LN dual Row questions