Sponsored by:

Engine Noise - Any Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 10:06 PM
Spork
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Engine Noise - Any Ideas?

Car is a 1999 C2 Cabriolet. 65K miles on car but only 25K on dealer replaced engine done under warranty. Has had IMSB fix done.

I washed the car this weekend, wiped it down and then it sat for a couple hours. I started it up to put it away and heard this high pitched screeching noise.

Drove it into the garage and let it sit two more days. Tried again and it was not as bad but still there. I don't want to drive it until I know what the problem is.

When I opened the hood to take this video some residual water came out of the spoiler area so I'm hoping that maybe it's just from water getting on the engine? I just did a normal hand wash with a garden hose, nothing high pressure.

I'm a bit paranoid about the engine after reading a bunch of horror story threads on here. I know this is just a video but hoping someone can listen and tell me it's just a pulley or a minor issue and not that the frigging IMBS is about to blow up or some other major deal! Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyID...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-04-2016, 10:12 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Just unplug your SAI pump (left of engine bay) and try again. Does the noise go away in a minute or two after engine start?
Old 05-04-2016, 10:27 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Just unplug your SAI pump (left of engine bay) and try again. Does the noise go away in a minute or two after engine start?
Duncan I think you nailed it! Or it's a pulley.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:29 PM
Spork
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had to look up to see what an SAI pump was.

How do I just "unplug it"? I found this link to replace it but seems like a bit of an ordeal.

http://p-car.com/996/diy/sai/mainpage.html

Is there an easier way to check it (other than driving it to the dealer in Carlsbad!).
Old 05-04-2016, 11:34 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

There's an electrical connector on the SAI pump you can just unplug. It may trip the CEL which you can use any scanner to reset or just drive the car to let it reset on its own.

If it's not the SAI pump, you could remove the serpentine belt and hand spin all the pulleys riding on the belt. Then you can run the engine briefly to hear if the noise is still there.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:39 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Pete, actually I'm not too sure in this case because:
- its not obvious the noise is from the SAI pump when the camera was panning around
- the sound seems to follow the rev

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Duncan I think you nailed it! Or it's a pulley.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:07 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

http://www.georgeco.org/wp-content/u...d8cb7d7ebb.jpg
Old 05-05-2016, 03:26 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Just take the car to the dealer and go sit in the waiting room and let a hot looking Barista bring you a crannyberry scone and a cup of coffee. DIY on a 911 is like sex with the ugliest old woman in the world. DIY on any car is bad enough but on a post-1983 911 it is the worst. Forget changing your own oil, forget screwing around with spark plugs and coil packs, forget taking off belts and spinning pullies...instead enjoy spending your money for the privilege of having a German trained strange looking creature scrape and burn his knuckles on your beautiful machine.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:20 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

you probably need a new serpentine belt. They tend to squeal when revving if they are old and stretched.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:26 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by johnireland
Just take the car to the dealer and go sit in the waiting room and let a hot looking Barista bring you a crannyberry scone and a cup of coffee. DIY on a 911 is like sex with the ugliest old woman in the world. DIY on any car is bad enough but on a post-1983 911 it is the worst. Forget changing your own oil, forget screwing around with spark plugs and coil packs, forget taking off belts and spinning pullies...instead enjoy spending your money for the privilege of having a German trained strange looking creature scrape and burn his knuckles on your beautiful machine.
You left out the part about bringing your own KY and some serious pain pills. I'm sure there are some really good dealer service departments out there but they seem to be few and far between.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:27 AM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Pete, actually I'm not too sure in this case because:
- its not obvious the noise is from the SAI pump when the camera was panning around
- the sound seems to follow the rev
Maybe I was half right
Old 05-05-2016, 09:33 AM
kbollaert
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
You left out the part about bringing your own KY and some serious pain pills. I'm sure there are some really good dealer service departments out there but they seem to be few and far between.
I found the best one around:me! Plus I work cheap (on my own car).
Old 05-05-2016, 02:28 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
The good dealer service departments provide the official OEM brand of KY...and they also sell it in the parts department.

I'm just shocked at how much time people spend with their cars up on jack stands trying to figure out what is wrong. At least take it to a professional wrench for a diagnosis...and then if you really enjoy working on cars, go have fun. But posting multi-page threads about "what a noise means" doesn't sound like the efficient way to get your car back on the road.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:34 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

As an interesting dealer story goes....two weeks ago I called my local "stealer" to get a price to align my 87 944 turbo....just rebuilt the control arms and needed for it to be aligned.

The cost? $638, but they said they have QUALIFED PORSCHE TECHNICIANS.

I have to say, I couldn't believe that price. And I even know the service advisor that I spoke to from the Audi club.

It became a long thread on the 944 turbo forum.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:42 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

Coming on here and asking for some advice and help is not a bad idea. Plenty of experience and ideas for what to check. FWIW most of us are driving our cars and contributing information to those who are learning about 16+ year old sports cars. More power to you if every time something comes up you have the $$$ to run to a dealer. Some of us, however, do not and actually enjoy wrenching on our cars and finding out what could be wrong by asking. I derive great pleasure in fixing a problem on my car. And sometimes, it is not about "efficient", it is about figuring it out.

Quick Reply: Engine Noise - Any Ideas?