Sponsored by:

engine serial number

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 09:28 AM
lahalte
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine serial number

I bought my 2000 C2 last year from a dealer that did not have lots of documentation. Looking over the engine I noticed it was pristine and did not look like a 15 year old motor. The metal fittings looked like new with no pitting. Any way I decided to look up the serial number. M96/04AT66Y65588. Now the way I undestand it the AT means remanufactured. Is that correct? But from what I have been reading it should have 66 and a number for the year. This one has the Y which is the designation of 2000 . Is there a way of knowing when it was remanufactured as I have no paperwork and it was not mentioned when I purchased it? Would this be a plus as the mileage on the motor would be significantly less?
Old 11-13-2015, 12:26 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

AT is a replacement engine from Porsche, I would consider ths adding value to the car. I can't answer the other questions.

Drive it like you stole it!
Old 11-13-2015, 12:32 PM
varsorama
Instructor

Same situation here, replacement engine from Porsche is great news. I have 105k on the car but just over 40k on the engine.
Obviously make sure you do any required services/maintenance on the engine depending on its mileage as it won't jive with the odometer. Mine had 36k on the engine it when I purchased the car, but decided to change ALL fluids along with the water pump, belt, spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter since the new engine was replaced in 2003. Better to be safe than sorry unless you have documentation.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:28 PM
lahalte
Instructor

Would Porsche have documentation to know when it was installed. Would the Porsche dealer be able to find out in their data base?
Old 11-13-2015, 01:35 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lahalte
Would Porsche have documentation to know when it was installed. Would the Porsche dealer be able to find out in their data base?
I would start by contacting the dealer
Old 11-13-2015, 06:46 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

I bought my 2000 C2 last year from a dealer that did not have lots of documentation. Looking over the engine I noticed it was pristine and did not look like a 15 year old motor. The metal fittings looked like new with no pitting. Any way I decided to look up the serial number. M96/04AT66Y65588. Now the way I undestand it the AT means remanufactured. Is that correct? But from what I have been reading it should have 66 and a number for the year. This one has the Y which is the designation of 2000 . Is there a way of knowing when it was remanufactured as I have no paperwork and it was not mentioned when I purchased it? Would this be a plus as the mileage on the motor would be significantly less?
My understanding is AT signifies a remanufactured engine. The Y is the year of the engine's initial manufacture. It could have been remanufactured at any time from that time to just before it was installed in the car.

If you can contact the dealer that installed the engine it may be able to tell you when the engine was installed. It may have paperwork that provides even more details on the engine but I would not bet on it.

A CarFax report might provide you with more info, possibly when the engine was replaced and at what miles.

If the engine was installed shortly after the car was sold the engine can have a good number of the miles on it that show on the odometer. Bearing in the mind the engine looks new it was probably installed within the last few years. So it could have, probably does have, considerably fewer miles. This would be a plus.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:31 PM
Animus
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same situation. There is a post on here about it. Found out what the codes mean but don't remember where.

M96/03 means engine type

AT means remanufactured or austauschmotor
Next three are year it was remanufactured which may not match the year it was installed.

S means x51

66w is 1998
66x is 1999
66y is 2000
661-665 is 2001 - 2005

Last numbers are serial code.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:47 PM
lahalte
Instructor

Thank you for the response. I contacted a dealer here but they do not have the data . I will contact the dealer where the service had been done it the first 60000 miles as they are in the maintenance booklet and might have some information that they can get from the VIN
Old 11-13-2015, 11:09 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
AT is a replacement engine from Porsche, I would consider ths adding value to the car. I can't answer the other questions.

Drive it like you stole it!

Hypothetically, if I were to sell my 996, how would one go about negociating the price? I have all of the service records since the new motor was put in.

If the odometer reads 115k miles, but the engine only has 50k, would you estimate the value of the car based on engine or odometer milage? Or would you take the average? I don't plan on selling it anytime soon since it's in excellent condition, but you never know...
Old 11-14-2015, 09:04 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Animus
Same situation. There is a post on here about it. Found out what the codes mean but don't remember where.

M96/03 means engine type

AT means remanufactured or austauschmotor
Next three are year it was remanufactured which may not match the year it was installed.

S means x51

66w is 1998
66x is 1999
66y is 2000
661-665 is 2001 - 2005

Last numbers are serial code.
The first '6' is the # of cylinders. The 2nd '6' means it is a normally aspirated engine (except for the Carrera 4 model engine in 1999). This '6' could be could be a '3' (GT3 engine), or '4' (turbo-charged 3.6l engine), or '8' (Carrera 4 N/A engine).

The 'Y' is the year of engine manufacture. 'V' is 1997, 'W' is 1998, 'X' is 1999, 'Y' is 2000, then digits are used starting with '1' which is 2001.

My info is the remanufactured engines retain their original serial numbers.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:56 AM
lahalte
Instructor

I think that a 50000 mile 996 would be worth more than a 105000 mile 996 with a 50000 mile engine. So to think half way sounds about right. It is a plus but not to the point of a less driven car.
Old 11-14-2015, 02:27 PM
CarlOrton
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sweet victory
Hypothetically, if I were to sell my 996, how would one go about negociating the price? I have all of the service records since the new motor was put in.

If the odometer reads 115k miles, but the engine only has 50k, would you estimate the value of the car based on engine or odometer milage? Or would you take the average? I don't plan on selling it anytime soon since it's in excellent condition, but you never know...
I'd use not so much an average, but an overall assessment of the entire vehicle. As an example, you might have a 50000 mile engine, but one window won't work, or a heated seat won't work, or the microswitches for the hood/deck lights don't work, etc etc etc.

Now, if the car was pristine at 115k miles, where EVERY LITTLE THING worked, and no wear to the leather, etc., I'd give extra bucks for that. Might consider pricing data for a 75k mile car as something in the middle.

Quick Reply: engine serial number