996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What options were there on 996 seats?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 01:20 PM
Dunkwho
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What options were there on 996 seats?

I've got sports seats with a crest that I'm considering switching out. Can I get some info on what the seat options are?

Are there comfort seat or sports seats only, or are both of these options to "standard" seats?
Did all of the seats come in crested or not crested as options?

I'm a bit confused. All of the sports seats that I've seen have crests, and I've sat in crested non sports seats (which the dealer told me were comfort seats ... which were nice and comfy!), and I've sat in non sports non crested seats. Are there 3 types of seats (standard, crested comfort, crested sports) or just 2 (comfort or sports then available as plain or crested)?

I know what the sports seats are like obviously, anyone with pictures of other 996 front seats options care to post them?

Thanks,
Duncan
Old 01-15-2012, 02:19 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have sport seats from the factory without the Porsche crest. Don't know all the seat choices that were offered. What year is your Porsche? Someone will pipe in with more info. Lots of aftermarket choices are available as well.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:34 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,458 Likes on 912 Posts

I've got comfort seats without crests. They are full power with fully adjustable power lumbar support.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:09 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

The were two basic types of seats for 996's in America (not including GT3, GT2, Turbo).

The standard "comfort" front seats came with leather faces and vinyl sides. Full leather was an option. Heating was an option. Manual forward/aft, up/down, and back tilt was standard. Power for same motions was optional. Power with three memory position buttons was also optional. When Lumbar Support first became available as an option, initally it had a manual hand pump, but later became power.

On ALL seats, the Porsche Crest embossed in the headrest was an OPTION.

The Sport seats came with leather faces, but could also be ordered in Full Leather. The Porsche Crest was an OPTION. Heated sport seats was an option. All Sport seats initially had manual forward and aft motion, and manual tilt. Power Sport Seats with memory was not available as a choice. However, later Sport Seats (still 996) had power tilt since the roller mechanism of the manual tilt was hard to adjust while sitting in the seat.

Comfort seat had an leather option if you prefered the wrinkled look for your seats. Not a choice in Sport Seats. Both Comfort and Sport seats had the choice for leather or Paint to Exterior Color for the back side of the seat.

Some years the Comfort Seats had gathered pockets on the lower back side of the seat for storage.

Early GT3's came standard with the Sport Seat (Porsche Crest was still an option). GT2's came standard with the "racing" seats, with the Sport Seats, or even Comfort Seats as an option. Turbo's came standard with the comfort seats, with the other two seats as an option.

Full Leather seats were a choice for both the Comfort and the Sport Seats. Deviated Stitching (colored thread) was a choice for both style seats but only in combination with the Full Leather option.

Porsche has since its beginning prided itself by having a multitude of seat choices and options for those seats, to accommodate all tastes and styles. Seating style and comfort is extremely personal and Porsche has gone to great lengths to meet the demand with a plethora of choices. After all, the seat is what connects you to the car.

Last edited by Thundertub; 01-15-2012 at 04:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PBradz (10-21-2022)
Old 01-15-2012, 04:15 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Good info Mark!
Old 01-15-2012, 04:17 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundertub
Power Sport Seats with memory was not available as a choice. However, later Sport Seats (still 996) had power tilt since the roller mechanism of the manual tilt was hard to adjust while sitting in the seat.
Full Power with Memory was an Option on 2002-2005, Option had to be bought Per Side. VERY VERY VERY RARE, but i have seen it and is also listed in the Options List.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:25 PM
Hyper911
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

deviated stitching must have been an option too.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:32 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Hyper911
deviated stitching must have been an option too.
Yes and you could also have Two-Tone Leathers on the Seats. And Painted Back on the Sport Seats. And the Controls on the Side could be Wrapped in Leather
Old 01-15-2012, 04:39 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Zookie
Full Power with Memory was an Option on 2002-2005, Option had to be bought Per Side. VERY VERY VERY RARE, but i have seen it and is also listed in the Options List.
NOT in Sport Seats. Only on the Comfort seats.

And my initial qualifier was my response only applies to Porsches for export to the USA. ANYTHING is possible in other countries and markets. And, yes, the Full Power with memory option for the Comfort seats in the USA was PER SIDE INDIVDUALLY.
The following users liked this post:
PBradz (10-21-2022)
Old 01-15-2012, 04:52 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

NOT in Sport Seats. Only on the Comfort seats.

And my initial qualifier was my response only applies to Porsches for export to the USA. ANYTHING is possible in other countries and markets. And, yes, the Full Power with memory option for the Comfort seats in the USA was PER SIDE INDIVDUALLY.
Please do some Research before Posting, Like your Signature says sooo..

http://www.renntech.org/forums/files...rder-guide-us/

Please Download MY03 Carrera Coupe Order Guide US (which is "United States" aka "USA" in case you are wondering)

Page 38, 3rd & 4th Option on the Page...

OPTION CSVL Electric Sport Seat Left Side $1,220

OPTION CSVR Electric Sport Seat Right Side $1,220

I rest my Case
Old 01-15-2012, 05:05 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Cool

Well, Zookie, it appears to be listed on the document you referenced.

At least I didn't call you a name when I replied earlier. Too bad you can't say the same.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:07 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Well, Zookie, it appears to be listed on the document you referenced.

At least I didn't call you a name when I replied earlier. Too bad you can't say the same.
yea i thought it was a bit harsh, sorry but i did Edit my post

but thats a lot of stickers on your Window BTW
Old 01-15-2012, 05:21 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Cool

Yeah, I know. I have always had a "sticker" fetish. You should see the windows on my Jeep tow vehicles. And I also am a Donzi fanatic, so those stickers are on the the Jeep as well as the Porsche ones. LOL! And the Donzi's are covered in stickers, too! LOL!

I think it goes back to the mid-1960's when I was a hard core drag racer. Each time you won your class you got a window sticker saying so, at each track. So the deal was to have as many, and from different tracks, as possible. It was all about bragging rights. Like event T-shirts. LOL! But I can only wear one T-shirt at a time. LOL!
Sometimes I get tired and scrape them all off. But it isn't long before they start building up again.
The little track stickers are like bragging rights among the regular DE attendees and are getting more and more popular.

Things got really crowded last summer (when this avatar picture was taken) when I attend the PCA Parade in Savannah. That is the 710 number. I left that on there for several months, but it is gone now. Had to make room for my DE numbers this coming weekend at Roebling Road.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:25 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 630 Likes on 340 Posts

My my2000 also has the "Supple leather" option
Old 01-15-2012, 05:37 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,458 Likes on 912 Posts

I've got memory on my driver's seat. My passenger's seat is full power with power lumbar, but no memory.

My seats were not heated from the factory, but I had aftermarket seat heaters installed and they work great.

Quick Reply: What options were there on 996 seats?